Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Wait, so spoilers:
    the Green Light is what, the Guardians passing off magic from the Starheart as part of the spectrum to hide their hypocrisy?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    And if so does that mean Alan really is a corpsman?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by StarSpangledMan; 12-07-2021 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    This is what I found, a really short Wiki entry about some guy from New Genesis for works for Darkseid.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Esak_(New_Earth)
    Thanks for the link! And it looks like it is true. Good find. CBR confirmed this in their article.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    spoilers:
    And if so does that man Alan really is a corpsman?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    which probably makes sense with the tv show relying on continuity between Alan, Guy and Jess.

It also means we can finally dispense with the other Corps, preferably in as irreversible a manner as possible.
    end of spoilers

I'm dropping this book for a while (along with Titans Academy). while I'd say it's more interesting than Titans Academy, and I wouldn't even go so far as to say it's a bad book, it's taking too long to get to the point for me and I think it's due to having to split each issue between two practically (if not entirely) separate stories that probably would work better was two different titles. it feels like we're tiptoing forward instead of taking full steps while also not being a slow burner type of story.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-08-2021 at 12:15 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Thanks for the link! And it looks like it is true. Good find. CBR confirmed this in their article.
    Got to give it to Thorne then for really diving deep with the New Gods for this run, which really fits in with the story John is going on with in all this weird big cosmic stuff in this enclosed sector of space.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    spoilers:
    which probably makes sense with the tv show relying on continuity between Alan, Guy and Jess.

It also means we can finally dispense with the other Corps, preferably in as irreversible a manner as possible.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    So basically "let's get rid of even more Geoff Johns concepts?"

I mean, unless the Sinestro Corps. stop wearing yellow uniforms I don't think this run is going to go in that direction.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Honestly, most comic book arcs should stick to 4-6 issues. It shouldn’t take longer than 1/3 or 1/2 the year to get a complete arc. And each arc can build on the previous one. This title isn’t the exception. I also care way less about powers and power levels than relationships and how closely heroes stick to their convictions when the chips are down. Hopefully all these status quo changes involving the “promotions” of GL, Superman, Batman, etc. lead to more interesting character work. I’d like to better understand John’s worldview and values and how they formed, like Clark in Birthright, Bruce in Year One, or even Hal in Secret Origin. Van Jensen laid a solid roadmap for that story.

I’d also like to see Venditti handle a John Stewart-led book.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 12-07-2021 at 07:55 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm dropping this book for a while (along with Titans Academy). while I'd say it's more interesting than Titans Academy, and I wouldn't even go so far as to say it's a bad book, it's taking too long to get to the point for me and I think it's due to having to split each issue between to practically (if not entirely) separate stories that probably would work better was two different titles. it both feels like we're tiptoing forward instead of taking full steps while also not being a slow burner.
    Based upon the strength of last issue with CrissCross, I'm sticking around for a few more issues, but I'm having similar problems. This does feel like a case where it would have benefited from moving a bit faster. I think there's one or two issues worth of material that could have been tightened up along the way to get us to this point with a bit more forward momentum.

Although, it probably also comes down to the art for me. If we were getting bigger, bolder, or more experimental art, I might be more patient with the writing. It doesn't help that I just finished Far Sector in which Jo Mulleins's body proportions are completely different from the standard female superheroine body she has now.

After Reis, Liam & Jamal, the bar for GL comics in terms of art has been raised. The current artists, while clearly talented, simply aren't on that level yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Got to give it to Thorne then for really diving deep with the New Gods for this run, which really fits in with the story John is going on with in all this weird big cosmic stuff in this enclosed sector of space.
    Agreed. I like the New Gods tie-in. It's nice to see John finally having an upgrade to deal this wild cosmic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Based upon the strength of last issue with CrissCross, I'm sticking around for a few more issues, but I'm having similar problems. This does feel like a case where it would have benefited from moving a bit faster. I think there's one or two issues worth of material that could have been tightened up along the way to get us to this point with a bit more forward momentum.

Although, it probably also comes down to the art for me. If we were getting bigger, bolder, or more experimental art, I might be more patient with the writing. It doesn't help that I just finished Far Sector in which Jo Mulleins's body proportions are completely different from the standard female superheroine body she has now.

After Reis, Liam & Jamal, the bar for GL comics in terms of art has been raised. The current artists, while clearly talented, simply aren't on that level yet.
    I think personally that the artwork by Tom Raney is his best work compared to the previous issues. But I do agree that the current artists aren't on that level as of yet. I think Marco Santucci is very close. I would also put Jorge Jiminez up there as well. I think if DC really wants to expand Green Lantern to being into multiple books, they really need to invest in artists that are top talents. Artists is what helps drives sales in as well and not just writers. The reason why we have two artists in split stories, is because the book was originally supposed to have two different writers doing the book. So after this arc is finished, we won't be seeing that anymore.

There's about a few issues left before this arc is finished. But after that, we don't know whether we're going to have the same creative team or not.

Maybe I’m just easy to please but I continue to like and enjoy both sides of the story lol. I do think Raney really turned it up a notch artistically here, but I also still prefer Cross’s art from the previous issue. Santucci is good but not great. Glad that we’re finally getting back to the original plotline regarding the magic terrorists and we finally get some answers here as well.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think that the book has some problems with the pacing. Issue where Jo met Sinestro had cool character moments but didn't move plot at all, for example. You'd also think that Jo would have interrogated terrorists by third or fourth issue, not #9. Maybe they refused to talk earlier, but from this issue I got the impression that this was the first time Jo was with them.

But, I do like the overall direction.