Default Wonder Woman Annual #1 (2021) Spoilers/Discussion

I know there's been some discussion on the Cloonrad thread about this, but doesn't it deserve a thread of its own?

I haven't read it yet. It's in my pile for this weekend, but if anyone wants to get started with spoilers, have at it!
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Highlights of the issue was the Diana/Etta stuff for me, but mainly a setup for ToA.

I'm not so sure on this idea of Themyscira being founded on a people being displaced from it, I hope there's more to the story here than what Altuum was letting on.

A couple months ago I was considering dropping WW for the first time in 40+ years but #781 and the annual have really captured my attention. Great foreshadowing imo.

Incredible Member

Color me intrigued!

The gods being...uncaring for the original inhabitants of the island is definitely an interesting point, and kind of huge. The impression I get is that the Enki people are the original protectors of Doom's Doorway. The set up certainly creates a foe(s) with natural enmity towards the Amazons and Diana if it is true, regardless of the specifics. Now we have a whole other faction to add into the Trial of the Amazons. While I'm sure there will be tension and some intra-Amazon kerfuffles, maybe the Enki people will be the true antagonists of the event? Regardless, this definitely interesting set-up.

Other things of note: the line the museum curator said about Diana arriving in Man's World "generations ago". Wonder what that means in terms of her origin, since Conrad tweeted that he thinks her origin is still having debuted during the War on Terror but clearly that doesn't fit with "generations ago".

Also, Etta! I'm living for this exploration of Diana and Etta's friendship and hope Etta will be a part of the Trial of the Amazons in some way. Cloonrad definitely seem interested in using her and what little we've gotten of Etta has been superb. She seems more like a mix of Rebirth Etta and Golden Age Etta, but Cloonrad's voice for her works and I actually liked MacDonald's rendition of her.

Is it out? Ive not recieved my copy yet

Incredible Member

I see some people are concerned about Altuum and his story, but I'm excited. I found him to be pretty interesting, that is also an interesting backstory that I've rarely seen in comics as a motivation, and it obviously has some real-world parallels to Native Americans and the United States. I actually even think there's a way they could have Altuum be telling the truth as he's shared it thus far - since Diana indicates she believes there's a lot more to the story - and right the wrong done to the people. Afterall, it was the Gods who stole the land, and I wasn't sure if Hippolyta and the other Amazons knew. There is a way - I'm not sure how but I'm not the one writing the story so I don't have to know how - that that story could give the Enki people justice that was not granted in many cases in the real-world.

Of course, we could also find out he's completely wrong. I'm excited for the story either way.

The Trial of the Amazons seems like it really will be a major event. We'll have the Wonder Woman issues, the Wonder Girl issues, and apparently Trial of the Amazons issues. Then who knows what may happen in the backups. All the major Wonder Woman characters - sans Steve so far - are involved and we already have a new villain(s?) with an intriguing backstory.

Random aside - I really liked the Themyscira exhibit and the fact that the Amazon Embassy is still around. Wasn't that the island? I also loved the fight in the museum. Everything about Diana/Wo just feels so right so far.

Almost forgot, I wonder what Altuum's powers are. We know he's strong per Diana. He also has those red eyes. I'm assuming it's for some type of ability.

Like most of you, I find Altuum an intriguing new rogue. He has a unique look, creepy manner and (seemingly) a backstory that could make him a compelling and enduring foe. I don’t know how things will play out but I doubt the Amazons will be the real cause of the Enki’s plight.

What struck me as odd was Diana’s need to go head to head with Altuum there in the museum. He wasn’t posing a clear and present danger as far as I could tell. It’s like she picked a fight. (From a visual storytelling point, I feel that after she pulled the fire alarm we should have seen the people panicking and exiting, but we didn’t.)

The whole idea of a Themysciran exhibit is a great one, and yes, continued use of Etta, please.

ETA: Oh, as Shimbo mentioned, that line about Diana arriving generations ago certainly muddies the water of her origin.
    Last edited by Largo161; 12-05-2021 at 12:11 PM.

One of the weirder aspects of 'Gods & Mortals' is when the Goddesses instruct the Amazons to move to Themyscira to guard Doom's Doorway. So the island already existed and AFAIK it's never explained how Doom Doorway got there and what the Goddesses would have done with it if the Amazons hadn't gone against their word or what their plans were.

It's possible the Goddesses have their secrets and maybe even some of the Amazons (possibly even Hippolyta) knew or suspected something but kept it to themselves until now.

Finally got to read this as according to my comic platform it had only come out yesterday.
    An intriguing concept right there. The design for Altuum and the fact that this guy and his people have been living in the ocean off the coast of Themyscira combined with this writing teams penchant for borrowing from the silver age era makes me wonder if we are seeing a reimagining of Ronno the Merboy and the Merfolk of that hidden underwater/ground city.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Finally got to read this as according to my comic platform it had only come out yesterday.
    An intriguing concept right there. The design for Altuum and the fact that this guy and his people have been living in the ocean off the coast of Themyscira combined with this writing teams penchant for borrowing from the silver age era makes me wonder if we are seeing a reimagining of Ronno the Merboy and the Merfolk of that hidden underwater/ground city.
    Huh…I’d be pretty impressed if that was Cloonrad’s inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Also, Etta! I'm living for this exploration of Diana and Etta's friendship and hope Etta will be a part of the Trial of the Amazons in some way. Cloonrad definitely seem interested in using her and what little we've gotten of Etta has been superb. She seems more like a mix of Rebirth Etta and Golden Age Etta, but Cloonrad's voice for her works and I actually liked MacDonald's rendition of her.
    What does she have from the Golden Age version? And I couldn't disagree more. This version of Etta is so boring (as is Steve Trevor). I still like Cloonrad, but I think it's a waste of time for them to write Etta.

To be clear, Etta Candy is fantastic, when written and drawn by Amy Reeder. Just think of Lizzo, that's who Etta Candy should be.