Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I just got back from the movie and have to say I enjoyed it overall! I agree with those that say it may have been a bit too long. I think I may prefer the first just because it was a little tighter story wise. Probably depends on how part 3 turns out. Regardless, I think it may be time for a rewatch of the first movie. Some more thoughts below.

spoilers:
    I really enjoyed Spider-Gwen's character in this movie. She functioned more as a co-lead this time around and they delve deeper into her backstory. Her and Miles are obviously the main characters and this movie explores their budding relationship and the forces that tear them apart. They are followed by Peter B., Jessica, Hobie, and maybe India as supporting Spiders. Miguel as an antagonist. The rest (including Ben Reilly) have really really small parts and Reilly is mainly played for laughs. Every other Spider character is mostly a cameo (and there are a few fun ones sprinkled throughout.) Mayday is absolutely adorable. There isn't much with Mary Jane, but the scene they included (one in trailers but slightly longer) is a nice one. (I really hope we get a spin-off involving the family!)

The first hour or so is just Miles and Gwen and tons of set-up. Honestly, some great character work, but this is the part that felt as though it dragged a little for me. (Maybe I was just anxious to get to all of the other Spiders lol) There are tons of twists and turns in the story towards the end, but I also found myself wondering which "cliffhanger" they would ultimately end on.

This movie essentially takes what No Way Home accomplished but takes it a step further. It connects every single media portrayal of Spider-man (live action, comic, animated, etc.) into one large interconnected story in which Spider-verse is at the center. When all is said and done, this trilogy may wind up being my favorite portrayal of the Spider-man universe in any form. Lots of gorgeous artwork and animation, but also tons of heart. People will definitely love this one.

Also, for anyone that's seen it... I think I'm just going to call OMD a "canon anomaly" from now on.
    end of spoilers

Really awesome movie!!

What a fantastic, brilliant, gorgeous movie. Seriously, every frame had so much love put it. The use of color is fantastic, particularly on spoilers:
    Gwen's homeworld.
    end of spoilers Could gush about this movie for hours. Heavier emotionally than I expected, but it really really works. Great plot, great villainy, great story, about as wonderful as you could expect.

spoilers:
    That said, I'm not super sure that I love the idea of spider-people just allowing people to die for the greater good. When Doc. Strange did it in NWH, totally made sense. When Peter B Parker gave that talk? Ehhhhhh....... didn't sit right with me. I imagine all the people who agree with Miles didn't get Miguel's invite, though.
    end of spoilers

One of the best CBMs ever made. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope having Samberg play him doesn't mean they treat Ben like a joke or just comedy relief.

I dont want to give you spoilers but you're probably not going to be enamored with his showing here unless you have an open mind for what they were doing with him

spoilers:
    That said, I'm not super sure that I love the idea of spider-people just allowing people to die for the greater good. When Doc. Strange did it in NWH, totally made sense. When Peter B Parker gave that talk? Ehhhhhh....... didn't sit right with me. I imagine all the people who agree with Miles didn't get Miguel's invite, though.
    end of spoilers[/QUOTE]

spoilers:
    I think he mostly recruit Spider-Men that have already been through the trauma and learn to live with it. With that said, I was expecting Miles tell Peter B what if May Parker was the one in danger but that would have been too dark.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    I dont want to give you spoilers but you're probably not going to be enamored with his showing here unless you have an open mind for what they were doing with him
    It won't be for everyone, but spoilers:
    I really enjoyed the sort of over-the-top himbo that he was presented as.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I think he mostly recruit Spider-Men that have already been through the trauma and learn to live with it. With that said, I was expecting Miles tell Peter B what if May Parker was the one in danger but that would have been too dark.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    see, that's what I thought too, but Gwen was on board with letting her dad die, so clearly some people bought it. I dunno. Felt iffy to me.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Purple; 06-01-2023 at 09:31 PM. Reason: forgot to add the quote i was replying to lol

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Yeah, that's usually a red flag for me but probably won't get in the way of my enjoyment of the movie .

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    spoilers:
    Also, for anyone that's seen it... I think I'm just going to call OMD a "canon anomaly" from now on.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    oh they basically outright do it, they had the picture of the comics marriage in the background during it!
    end of spoilers

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    Loved it, start to finish. Stellar animation, Great Action, Funny humor, Good heart, Good Twists. Just waiting on the last installment.

Can't think of anything that could really be parred down to make it a better movie
    spoilers:
    they could have had it so the audience thought Gwen had been sent by Miguel to recruit Miles, they do an interdimensional mission in Mumbhattan together then go to spidey HQ and then twist that Miguel doesnt want Miles at all and that he's the canon anomoly
    end of spoilers would have made it a tighter movie that stands on its own and be part of a bigger story as opposed to just a part 1 imo

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I saw it last night (at the IMAX!) and it's fantastic. A step up from the original, which I always said is easily the best Spider-Man film.

Also, I'm a massive Ben fan: I loved him! Absolutely hilarious.

I REALLY hope they nail the conclusion in part 2.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I am seeing it later today, I can't wait. I still can't believe we are getting a Spider-Man movie with Mayday Parker, Ben Reilly, Miguel O'Hara and even Spider-Man 2211 in it! It feels almost like a dream.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Easily one of the best sequels I've ever seen. If the third one will be on the same level or even better, it's easily might be one of the greatest trilogies of all time, not just in superhero genre.

Spectacular Member

seems I'm very much in the minority based on this thread
    I'm sure I'll like it a lot more once the next one finishes the story

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, that's usually a red flag for me but probably won't get in the way of my enjoyment of the movie .
    Ripping the bandaid off, if you've seen the Lego Movie, Ben Reilly is essentially Lego Batman personality-wise.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.