Page 52 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152535455 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    JMS era is dubious I think. As much as I love it, adaptations haven't really solidified that era of Spider-man as a "classic."

No to the death of Jean DeWolff. It's a great story no doubt but not something that I would not consider as significant to the broader mythos.

More so than Harry becoming the Green Goblin, I'd say Harry being Peter's friend turned enemy is a feature of many adaptations.

I'd add Norman Osborn/Green Goblin becoming Peter's archnemesis. A failed romance with Felicia Hardy/Black Cat. And the death of Aunt May/ASM 400 (even though it was retconned later.)

I suppose you could say Spider-verse, In and of itself, is a canon event as well.
    I was thinking more in terms of specific issues, but yeah, Norman and Black Cat are a given. Aunt May eventually dying is a given too, given ASM 400 and Peter B's May is dead.

I think at least the first fight with Morlun and "The Conversation" would count. Even without those being adapted (although ATSV is pulling a lot from that Aunt May issue with the parents stuff), it seems like we do multiple callbacks to that in the continuity. Zdarsky included it in Life Story too.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I like his new inverted look:

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    JMS era is dubious I think. As much as I love it, adaptations haven't really solidified that era of Spider-man as a "classic."

No to the death of Jean DeWolff. It's a great story no doubt but not something that I would not consider as significant to the broader mythos.

More so than Harry becoming the Green Goblin, I'd say Harry being Peter's friend turned enemy is a feature of many adaptations.

I'd add Norman Osborn/Green Goblin becoming Peter's archnemesis. A failed romance with Felicia Hardy/Black Cat. And the death of Aunt May/ASM 400 (even though it was retconned later.)

I suppose you could say Spider-verse, In and of itself, is a canon event as well.
    I would second the felicia thing. it really is important to delineate that Peter wants a normal life and not just a Superhero one. Felicia really is the best way to do that.

Saw the film today and have successfully avoided spoilers/reviews so I could go in as fresh as possible.

While I still like the first installment more, this was a solid follow up that dealt with some pretty heavy material at times. I did feel like it was a little long and slow in places, but I can not wait to see where this goes.
    Peter will always be my spider-man but I am thrilled to see so many fans/general audience connecting with different Spider characters. These films and the games have made me really enjoy and appreciate Miles, I never really got the same connection with him as I have from these films. I LOVE the casting in these films. My wife really enjoyed these film as it was so different from any other Spider-Man film.

Peter B Parker continues to be one of my favorite adaptions and I hope we get more time with him and Mayday in the third film. As a father to a two year old girl his speech to Miles made me tear up thinking of my own little girl
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Saw the film today and have successfully avoided spoilers/reviews so I could go in as fresh as possible.

While I still like the first installment more, this was a solid follow up that dealt with some pretty heavy material at times. I did feel like it was a little long and slow in places, but I can not wait to see where this goes.
    Peter will always be my spider-man but I am thrilled to see so many fans/general audience connecting with different Spider characters. These films and the games have made me really enjoy and appreciate Miles, I never really got the same connection with him as I have from these films. I LOVE the casting in these films. My wife really enjoyed these film as it was so different from any other Spider-Man film.

Peter B Parker continues to be one of my favorite adaptions and I hope we get more time with him and Mayday in the third film. As a father to a two year old girl his speech to Miles made me tear up thinking of my own little girl
    Marvel just needs to bite the bullet and just undo OMD and just introduce Mayday into the main continuity

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by clonegeek View Post
    Marvel just needs to bite the bullet and just undo OMD and just introduce Mayday into the main continuity
    Reintroducing the marriage doesn’t require bringing Mayday. Especially since the main universe has long since diverged from MC2.

I hope their child is a boy just sell that fact.

Just watched it. Wow. Probably the best Super Hero movie and just an overall great movie. Sony needs these writers to write the rest of the Spider-Man/verse movies. Holy cow. Animation was top notch. Writing was top notch. Only negative is to be continued.
    Such a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Reintroducing the marriage doesn’t require bringing Mayday. Especially since the main universe has long since diverged from MC2.

I hope their child is a boy just sell that fact.
    My take on that is that Mayday has already been born. If OMD were reversed and they had another child, it couldn't be Mayday, she's already been born.
    The issue would then be if they brought Mayday back. If she's alive - and I never believed she was really dead - then she'd whatever age the writers wanted her to be. She was born like six years before Valeria Richards so she'd be somewhat older than her at least.

What people can also realize is that it's not just "Mayday" that is someone/something that never would have existed without Miles.
    But Peter and MJ never would have gotten back together if Peter never had that adventure with Miles.

Remember the reason they broke up was because MJ wanted kids and Peter B. didn't. So it's not just Mayday he has Miles to thank for. It's his entire relationship with MJ not ending for good.

Without Miles, Peter x MJ never happens or rather it ends, and Mayday is never born.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

This film probably most gorgeous western animated film this millennium! I hope it goes on to change the landscape of western animation. Narratively what surprised me the most is it never ever caved to pure fan service at it's core it still was a Miles/Gwen film, even when Jake Johnson's Peter was introduced he had minimal screentime.

This and SV1 best Spider-Man (heck even Marvel in general) films since SM2 easily!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Saw it last night. Icon Theatres is only available in a few cities, but it is available in Chicago (my hometown) and the DC area (where I live now) and they always have deals for Tuesday nights.

For someone who's generally done his "homework" on these movies ahead of watching, I might've dropped the ball. The "To Be Continued" caption at the end really caught me off guard. A bit disappointing, but at least it probably means they didn't have to rush through this movie. On the other hand, my friend asked me if it was appropriate for his 8-year-old kid, and I said maybe it's not the best theatre experience for kids with short attention spans. I think it has so much going on that it's a tad distracting from the main plot, which was otherwise pretty good. On the other hand, it really does get the imagination going, making you think of all the possibilities. Just wish the time between movies wasn't 9 months. If there's one thing Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions got right, it was not drawing out the length between installments.

EDIT: re-reading the very first page of this thread, yes, I definitely dropped the ball.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    My take on that is that Mayday has already been born. If OMD were reversed and they had another child, it couldn't be Mayday, she's already been born.
    The issue would then be if they brought Mayday back. If she's alive - and I never believed she was really dead - then she'd whatever age the writers wanted her to be. She was born like six years before Valeria Richards so she'd be somewhat older than her at least.
    I hdan't been thinking of this until recently but they really did name her in the main comic too, didn't they? Even if MJ got pregnant again it'd be a little weird to name their second kid the same as the one they lost. Not entirely crazy, but possible.

And of course they could reintroduce her as living the whole time, though in that case I'd prefer if they say they kept her in suspended animation or something, both so we dont' lose the baby time and dont' push the timeline too much (also it'd be a little too much like RYV off the bat if they introduced her as, like, a 6 year old).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I hdan't been thinking of this until recently but they really did name her in the main comic too, didn't they? Even if MJ got pregnant again it'd be a little weird to name their second kid the same as the one they lost. Not entirely crazy, but possible.

And of course they could reintroduce her as living the whole time, though in that case I'd prefer if they say they kept her in suspended animation or something, both so we dont' lose the baby time and dont' push the timeline too much (also it'd be a little too much like RYV off the bat if they introduced her as, like, a 6 year old).
    Suspended animation would work well

BANNED

Anyone else just looking up random clips on Youtube?

I think I've watched Pav's introduction scene a billion times now. I always lose my shit when he gets to "And here's where the Brittish stole all our stuff!"

Also I keep quoting the Chai Tea line to myself. It's just too funny. "Chai MEANS tea, bro."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomsaurus View Post
    Anyone else just looking up random clips on Youtube?

I think I've watched Pav's introduction scene a billion times now. I always lose my shit when he gets to "And here's where the Brittish stole all our stuff!"

Also I keep quoting the Chai Tea line to myself. It's just too funny. "Chai MEANS tea, bro."
    That gag was hilarious but my favorite was, "Are you bleeding from your armpits?"
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!