Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Sitting in a Tree was basically nothing in the grand scheme of things for both characters. It did nothing to enrich either character nor their dynamic with one another and went nowhere in the end. It followed up on a plot point from Miles’ book at the time but the romance pairing was completely forced, made worse with how the same story introduced a universe where they were married with kids. The whole thing basically was such a nothing burger that sans a one-off joke in Champions, it’s never been mentioned again and no other media has even so much as touched that ship beyond Into the Spider-Verse. You could remove that entire story and nothing would change.
    It established a friendship and camaraderie, which is pretty rare among the Spider-Family, but it was just a jumping off point for the creators of the movies.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I have to ask though, we're how many years into these comic movies now? I feel like complaining because you didn't like the source material the movie is going to be (very) loosely based on is pretty disingenuous.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by milesvspeter View Post
    Can't wait to see more of miles and gwen romance in part two, it was organic in part one.
    Same, I got to say itsv has really changed how I felt about the pair compared to the comic IÂ’m really enjoying the build up more than I ever have for any relationship in a superhero film by FAR. I have complete faith in lord&miller to deliver on this and do it Leagues better than sitting in a tree ever could with a more satisfying pay-off.

Ps: a lot of people are taking this love-triangle thing the wrong way that is really not the case at all especially if you listen to what kemp powers is saying along with lord&millers previous interviews itÂ’s all miles assuming itÂ’s something when it really is not. Hobby is literally her best spider friend do to them having a lot in common especially when it comes to music. The romance is only focused on miles&gwen and miles&gwen only. The main plot is not focused on that itÂ’s literally on traveling the multiverse, stopping the spot and Miles deciding what kinda Spider-Man he is trying to be compared to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I have to ask though, we're how many years into these comic movies now? I feel like complaining because you didn't like the source material the movie is going to be (very) loosely based on is pretty disingenuous.
    Pretty much everything they did in the first movie was better than any of the comics they were loosely based on so I'm inclined to believe they will also improve on darn near everything here too lol. A good thing the first movie already did was establish Gwen and Miles as being the same age too, I always thought it was weird in the comics how they pushed that when Miles was like 15 and she was in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Pretty much everything they did in the first movie was better than any of the comics they were loosely based on so I'm inclined to believe they will also improve on darn near everything here too lol. A good thing the first movie already did was establish Gwen and Miles as being the same age too, I always thought it was weird in the comics how they pushed that when Miles was like 15 and she was in college.
    I'm with you on that one. The movie is also pretty much the only time I've felt Miles didn't come off as bland and uninteresting. They actually gave him a bit more personality and more of his own unique style.

FrRJiNuXgAIw2HB.jpg
    FrRJipuXgAErTD-.jpg

Two new images from yesterday. The full magazine should be out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    FrRJiNuXgAIw2HB.jpg
    FrRJipuXgAErTD-.jpg

Two new images from yesterday. The full magazine should be out today.
    They're drawing a lot from Hopeless's Jessica Drew.

Is Miguel too much of a hulk here?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It established a friendship and camaraderie, which is pretty rare among the Spider-Family, but it was just a jumping off point for the creators of the movies.
    Let’s be real, this establishment went absolutely nowhere. When it comes to his relationship with female heroes, Gwen doesn’t even crack the top 5. Even among spiders, Miles had more of a quality relationship with Ultimate Jessica Drew than he’s ever had with Gwen. When even was the last time that the 2 even had any interaction beyond standing in the same group? Whenever they wanted Gwen to interact with a Spider-Man, their go to was Peter because, even with their age difference, the 2 hold the common thread of one another being a reflection of someone important to them that they’ve lost.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    When said source material is exceptionally shaky at best and yet that’s the big thing that they’re focusing on, it really isn’t very disingenuous. This basically is a hodgepodge of Miles’ origin, Spider-Verse and Sitting in a Tree and yet somehow they deemed a one-off concept that was essentially dropped and never mentioned again to be important enough that it had to be the focus of the main character’s personal life while turning Gwen into the love interest which completely misses the entire point of her as a character.

Let’s be real, this establishment went absolutely nowhere. When it comes to his relationship with female heroes, Gwen doesn’t even crack the top 5. Even among spiders, Miles had more of a quality relationship with Ultimate Jessica Drew than he’s ever had with Gwen. When even was the last time that the 2 even had any interaction beyond standing in the same group? Whenever they wanted Gwen to interact with a Spider-Man, their go to was Peter because, even with their age difference, the 2 hold the common thread of one another being a reflection of someone important to them that they’ve lost.
    That was kind of after Seanan McGuire took over writing her.

When said source material is exceptionally shaky at best and yet that’s the big thing that they’re focusing on, it really isn’t very disingenuous. This basically is a hodgepodge of Miles’ origin, Spider-Verse and Sitting in a Tree and yet somehow they deemed a one-off concept that was essentially dropped and never mentioned again to be important enough that it had to be the focus of the main character’s personal life while turning Gwen into the love interest which completely misses the entire point of her as a character.
    (I would like to know whether Sitting in a Tree was a response to Marvel getting the script for Into the Spider-Verse.)

I am with you as far in that I think that Into the Spider-Verse is likely to set up Gwen and Miles as a ship in the comics and I don't think that's good for either character in the comics. I agree it misses the entire point of Gwen's character. But the reason I think it's likely to do that damage is because if you only know the characters as they appear in the film the film does the romance very well for what it is. If instead of Gwen they'd used Anya Corazon or another Spider-Girl I'd have no problems with it except maybe to wish that we also had a film where the girl was the lead.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    (I would like to know whether Sitting in a Tree was a response to Marvel getting the script for Into the Spider-Verse.)

I am with you as far in that I think that Into the Spider-Verse is likely to set up Gwen and Miles as a ship in the comics and I don't think that's good for either character in the comics. I agree it misses the entire point of Gwen's character. But the reason I think it's likely to do that damage is because if you only know the characters as they appear in the film the film does the romance very well for what it is. If instead of Gwen they'd used Anya Corazon or another Spider-Girl I'd have no problems with it except maybe to wish that we also had a film where the girl was the lead.
    Kinda feels like a chicken or the egg scenario in which story inspired which. I don’t remember the time frame so I can’t picture the development time for each especially with how much Marvel loves its synergy.

LetÂ’s be real, this establishment went absolutely nowhere. When it comes to his relationship with female heroes, Gwen doesnÂ’t even crack the top 5. Even among spiders, Miles had more of a quality relationship with Ultimate Jessica Drew than heÂ’s ever had with Gwen. When even was the last time that the 2 even had any interaction beyond standing in the same group? Whenever they wanted Gwen to interact with a Spider-Man, their go to was Peter because, even with their age difference, the 2 hold the common thread of one another being a reflection of someone important to them that theyÂ’ve lost.
    You could say that "connection" exists with Gwen and practically any version of Peter Parker that she's met in her travels across the multiverse because that theme of lost love . Gwen's noted several times that her alternate self is dead on a majority of the world's that she visits. The nature of Gwen's relationship with her Peter is also very different from 616 Parker and his Gwen. To the Peter's that she encounters 'Gwen' is a lost perfect love stolen away from a villain, but to Gwen, 'Peter' was a HS friend who was harboring a major crush on her which she was oblivious to up to his death.

When said source material is exceptionally shaky at best and yet thatÂ’s the big thing that theyÂ’re focusing on, it really isnÂ’t very disingenuous. This basically is a hodgepodge of MilesÂ’ origin, Spider-Verse and Sitting in a Tree and yet somehow they deemed a one-off concept that was essentially dropped and never mentioned again to be important enough that it had to be the focus of the main characterÂ’s personal life while turning Gwen into the love interest which completely misses the entire point of her as a character.
    It isn't dropped. Marvel as to this day never killed off the Gwiles pairing in any capacity. The power dynamics between Gwen and Miles are fairly equal. While true there hasn't been a focused team up of any sort Marvel still prints covers baiting the pairing. They haven't stricken it from the public like say Carlie Cooper/Cindy Moon x Peter. They have no problem allowing public perception of the couple being a more serious thing at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    It isn't dropped. Marvel as to this day never killed off the Gwiles pairing in any capacity. The power dynamics between Gwen and Miles are fairly equal. While true there hasn't been a focused team up of any sort Marvel still prints covers baiting the pairing. They haven't stricken it from the public like say Carlie Cooper/Cindy Moon x Peter. They have no problem allowing public perception of the couple being a more serious thing at some point.
    That’s literally nothing more than variant covers, something that very seldom reflects any actual content. By that same logic Marvel advocates for every symbiote variant cover to mean that they’re baiting for everyone to wear a symbiote. Hell, back in Secret Wars there was a cover that shipped Kamala and Robbie as the actual cover and zero content within the issue or since has reflected such a ship. If you let a cover be the thing that dictates your perception of what’s going on rather than the actual content you’re quite literally judging a book by its cover. For a point of comparison look at the SpiderCat ship. Even when they aren’t together there will not only be variants for it but actual content in the books and various media give the 2 ship teases showing the fact that Felicia is a serious and iconic love interest. You don’t get anything close to that same kind of treatment with Miles and Gwen.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 03-16-2023 at 07:35 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm with you on that one. The movie is also pretty much the only time I've felt Miles didn't come off as bland and uninteresting. They actually gave him a bit more personality and more of his own unique style.
    S-M: ITSV was the first time I properly liked Miles Morales. Hoping the movies continue to better the comic books as I didn't like Sitting in a Tree. Really looking forward to the sequel. Has an hard act following the predecessor, not only the best Spider-Man movie ever but in my top ten comic book films as well.

That’s literally nothing more than variant covers, something that very seldom reflects any actual content.
    That doesn't matter. Perception is extremely important. There will always be more people that see a cover of a comic, than are actually reading it's contents. The fact that Gwiles still features on covers shows it still has value to Marvel. Mary Jane hasn't been with Peter for about a year now but Marvel still rolled out a little animation featuring them for valentines day. They maintain the perception of it being something later for people who read, and people who don't it shows it's still a thing. If Marvel wanted Gwiles dead, it would be no question. Look how easily they squashed Spider-silk. Peter hasn't appeared on a single cover with her for years.