Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I love the first movie. It's one of those few super-hero movies that I have seen several times and still enjoyed at pretty much the same level at repetive viewings. This movie, sadly not so much.

Lets start with the villain as he proclaims himslef to be Miles nemesis. Spot is still played up for laughs and they don't seem to want to go beyond the goofiness of the character, at least not in this movie. He was so inconsequential to my enjoyment of the movie I actually forgot he was in it when we got to the second half.

Then we get Miguel as an antagonist. Poor Miguel this was not the showcase I wanted for you. Not only are you removed from much of how your personality usually is by being so rage fueled but they also make you job for Miles. Miguel was ok in the start when he still was conflicted. But the more the movie went on he was animated as some beserker thrasing his way through the set. It made it abundantly clear that they where trying to set up some "Miles is right" narrative that didn't jib that well.

The more Miles is right the less competent everyone else looks. It's fine with a large organisation in a movie where the boss is missguided by emotions to miss something that the hero sees. Or that hope and standing up for yourself fighting for something you belive in can save the day. Those are hero troupes. It's just that the organisation is made up of AU Spider-men. It both makes more sense that they know more then Miles and that Miles must learn some hard truth for the movie to have a more fulfilling theme.

So I found Miles and his unwillingness to listen and think beyond himself, as it is with these sci-fi concepts like multiverse, to be in character but not in line with the hero edit the movie gave him. I want the movie to show us that Miles can't just fix this without sacrifice. I just don't felt the movie was showing us the ambiguity of the different sides. They more or less gave Miles the hero edit and Miguel the villain edit. So far the evidence is pointing towards Miles risking his whole universe and as a consequence of that the whole multiverse is in line. I can see why people want to believe that it might work but the evidence isn't pointing towards that and therefore they need to act against him. At least detain him.

Now we are seen seeds of doubt in anomalies and Captain or not. It's just that so many Spider-men and earlier canon breaking points can't just all be hinging on Miguel and his theories. It makes for a less enjoyable story and movie if so.

Many of these new Spider-men where reduced to jokes. Ben Reilly the most profolictic victim. I felt the first movie never treated it's spider-men like this. Noir could easily have been just a joke but he wasn't. Even Spider-ham, who is a living joke, wasn't treated like a joke. For me this took away from the emotional core of the movie. It made me care less.

Hobie was a bit grating. Jess has a motorcycle. Mumbattan Spider-man was annoying, just plain annoying. It felt like Gwen and Peter had to carrry a heavier load to balance that out. Thankfully Peter has Mayday who just makes you smile.

It's still an ok movie it's just compared to the first it pales.

Score: 7-8/10
    I agree with you that the first movie is way better.

I thought it was good, but uneven.
    Beautiful visuals (again), the Miles and Gwen character stuff was nice too.

Miguel? Contentious depiction. Spot... doesn't really hit his namesake, and disappears before doing anything significant. His powered up form looks great and scary though.
    The pacing's pretty slow. This is partly on me, since I didn't read up and thought that the film was more self-contained like the first one.

Edit: Also, Ben got a raw deal. In a film about defying fate and making your own choices, you'd figure the clone of Spider-Man would get a few more interesting lines!
    Last edited by Webhead; 08-27-2023 at 06:14 AM.

The screenplay is now available online.
    https://deadline.com/wp-content/uplo...Screenplay.pdf

This is usually part of the process of Oscar campaigns, but great for fans.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Across the Spider-Verse has won Best Animated Feature for the Critics Choice Awards. Spider-Verse is also the second franchise to ever win the award twice, with the first being Toy Story.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Across the Spider-Verse has won Best Animated Feature for the Critics Choice Awards. Spider-Verse is also the second franchise to ever win the award twice, with the first being Toy Story.
    And rightfully so. In terms of quality AND pushing the medium forward it has been just as influential as Toy Story, think about the leap western animation made after the first one, just like how Pixar bulldozed the old 2d golden age disney aesthetic and brought 3d animation front and center. Now after ITSV everybody is doing the stylized hybrid aesthetic and getting awesome results with it, Arcane, Puss in Boots 2, TMNT, Mitchells vs the Machines and even that one drama/romance thing Entergalactic. The franchise is Revolutionary in the true sense of the word and should rightfully be lauded as such

here's hoping BTSV sticks the landing and we get to call it the greatest super-hero trilogy of all time, animated or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapioca Blitzkrieg View Post
    And rightfully so. In terms of quality AND pushing the medium forward it has been just as influential as Toy Story, think about the leap western animation made after the first one, just like how Pixar bulldozed the old 2d golden age disney aesthetic and brought 3d animation front and center. Now after ITSV everybody is doing the stylized hybrid aesthetic and getting awesome results with it, Arcane, Puss in Boots 2, TMNT, Mitchells vs the Machines and even that one drama/romance thing Entergalactic. The franchise is Revolutionary in the true sense of the word and should rightfully be lauded as such

here's hoping BTSV sticks the landing and we get to call it the greatest super-hero trilogy of all time, animated or otherwise.
    Indeed. This movie was a masterclass in how to use the medium to not just tell a story but enhance it. Well deserved award.

Well deserved!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    I agree with you that the first movie is way better.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said, except I enjoyed Spidey India and Spider-Punk and found them highlights. I get the point they're trying to make with Miles, but it definitely makes Peter B, Miguel and the other Spider-Men look bad if Miles is right. On the other hand, Miles kind of seems more selfish than heroic here.

Miguel in this is basically just a new character with Miguel's name and costume.

I liked the movie overall, but I definitely think it's more bloated and messy than the first.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 01-21-2024 at 10:35 PM.

Looks like Sony is reportedly working on more animated Spider-Man films. Hopefully this means we get a film about Peter B., MJ and Mayday.

https://twitter.com/HollywoodHandle/...68445275205641
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Looks like Sony is reportedly working on more animated Spider-Man films. Hopefully this means we get a film about Peter B., MJ and Mayday.

better be the same quality as the regular films
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

It's really all Sony's got going for them (outside Venom I guess).

I hope this means Hollands' stuff remains solo Spidey.

We know about Beyond and the Gwen-led Spider-Women spin-off. Is this just those or is this more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    We know about Beyond and the Gwen-led Spider-Women spin-off. Is this just those or is this more than that?
    It looks like it is more than that. There is going to be another female led Spider-Verse spin-off and a villains movie.

Aged-up Spider-Girl movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Aged-up Spider-Girl movie?
    We can only hope.