Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546474849 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Just got back from seeing the movie! It was awesome! I am going to most definitely see it again.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Judt saw it. It was great! Gonna write a full review soon.

Mighty Member

The themes here are so on point. The first film was all about how anybody could be Spider-Man. This time they tackle the notion that all Spider-man stories have to fit into a certain mold. And, of course, it's once again Miles and Gwen who are determined to break that mold. These creators just GET why Spider-Man can work in so many different ways and permutations and aren't beholden to some narrow worldview of what Spider-man MUST be. Particularly considering the editorial mandates in play in the comics, this is just such a refreshing and happiness inducing take on what this character (or rather, these characters) could be.

"Spiderpunk you're not helping"

"Good"

I love this guy
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Any chances the Spider-Man from the 90s animated series made a reference or something. His quest for Mary Jane would be suitable here.
    Considering, that he's completely absent in ATSV, despite the fact, that he's the first Spider-Man ever, who travelled across the multiverse (in outside media at least), I reckon he might have a bigger role, than just a cameo in BTSV.

Loved the story, didn't love the plot, if that makes any sense.

spoilers:
    The "canon event" thing as a meta joke, that's cute. Fine. Tying it into Miles' overall arc about whether or not he's a 'real' Spider-Man? Great stuff, works very well.

Having everything hinge on an arbitrary universal rule that all Spider-Mans have to have a police captain friend who dies? Hate it. The specificity would be funny if it was a Rick and Morty joke, but it's ridiculous as a source of actual drama and conflict. There's a scene where Gwen is relieved that her father has retired and is no longer a police captain, and it just felt silly during a section of the movie that was not going for silly.

(And not for nothing, having 200 Spider-Men chase after Miles to stop him from trying to save someone's life? Even with the cosmic threat in mind, it just feels...very OFF BRAND for the whole Spider-Man concept)

Then we have to sit through the slow burn while Gwen and Peter realize they're very obviously on the wrong side of this moral debate, and waiting for them to have that realization was not engaging. And we'll get it again in the next movie with Jessica and whoever else jumps ship to Miles' side.
    end of spoilers

Everything to the right and left of this section was fantastic, but man, did I not like that middle.

Astonishing Member

I'm pretty mad at the treatment of Ben NGL

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    can't be any worse than the treatment he received over the past few years
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Yeah that was kinda wack, they turned him a "lol 90s extreme" joke.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    Loved the story, didn't love the plot, if that makes any sense.

spoilers:
    The "canon event" thing as a meta joke, that's cute. Fine. Tying it into Miles' overall arc about whether or not he's a 'real' Spider-Man? Great stuff, works very well.

Having everything hinge on an arbitrary universal rule that all Spider-Mans have to have a police captain friend who dies? Hate it. The specificity would be funny if it was a Rick and Morty joke, but it's ridiculous as a source of actual drama and conflict. There's a scene where Gwen is relieved that her father has retired and is no longer a police captain, and it just felt silly during a section of the movie that was not going for silly.

(And not for nothing, having 200 Spider-Men chase after Miles to stop him from trying to save someone's life? Even with the cosmic threat in mind, it just feels...very OFF BRAND for the whole Spider-Man concept)

Then we have to sit through the slow burn while Gwen and Peter realize they're very obviously on the wrong side of this moral debate, and waiting for them to have that realization was not engaging. And we'll get it again in the next movie with Jessica and whoever else jumps ship to Miles' side.
    end of spoilers

Everything to the right and left of this section was fantastic, but man, did I not like that middle.
    spoilers:
    I don’t understand this take, the premise is, if miles is allowed to change a canon event the universe dies, how is it not on brand for them to try and stop him from destroying the universe. as shown by ps4 peter Parker will put the lives of many over just the lives of his loved ones. It will be a hard decision and his first instinct would be to protect his family. But at the end of the day he will choose the greater good. We even see just a little change does result in Spider-Man Indias dimension unraveling, now it’s likely they don’t have the whole story, but based on what they know and believe, it’s understandable
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    spoilers:
    They definitely spent a good chunk of the movie building the romantic tension between Miles and Gwen. But they're clearly going for a slow burn relationship that'll pay off in the finale as opposed to coupling them off early on. And the two actually have genuinely good chemistry here so I think it works.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    They seemed to back off of it a little bit in the latter half. But I would expect them to give them a kiss or something at leats in BTSV.
    end of spoilers

I'm in a mood so I'll go ahead and say it since it's relevant to the thread, but I hate Miles x Gwen, for everone involved.

From a "canon" and Spider-Man perspective, I don't like it because it confuses the role she plays in the story. But that by itself wouldn't be enough. No, the big problem is that it's bad for both Miles and Gwen.

For Miles, it becomes yet another thing that's not his but a hand me down from Peter. Peter has MJ so he doesn't need Gwen now right? And who cares what Gwen wants right? Just make her into Miles' love interest. But Miles, despite being the inhereitor of the Spider-Man title in the ultimate universe, desperately needs his own things. His own villains, his own loves, his own goals and motivations. In the movie they do a good job with the last one, they give him his own goals and motivations and personality, and I consider this the best version of Miles as a result. But the Gwen thing is just a reminder he's the "other" Spider-Man, and I think it hurts him overall.

For Gwen, it puts her on the same path as a lot of other heroines where they never write her her own story but instead just pass her around to various heroes and create a bunch of weird relationships. Because she is her own property and is going to be written for her own stories, unless there's some editorial mandate to keep them together you just create this situation where the whole thing is unstable because one team wants to do one thing and the otehr wants to do a different thing. It also very much feels like pair the spares. Like Miles, she should be allowed to have her own things, not have to borrow miles for a part of her story.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    spoilers:
    They seemed to back off of it a little bit in the latter half. But I would expect them to give them a kiss or something at leats in BTSV.
    end of spoilers

I'm in a mood so I'll go ahead and say it since it's relevant to the thread, but I hate Miles x Gwen, for everone involved.

From a "canon" and Spider-Man perspective, I don't like it because it confuses the role she plays in the story. But that by itself wouldn't be enough. No, the big problem is that it's bad for both Miles and Gwen.

For Miles, it becomes yet another thing that's not his but a hand me down from Peter. Peter has MJ so he doesn't need Gwen now right? And who cares what Gwen wants right? Just make her into Miles' love interest. But Miles, despite being the inhereitor of the Spider-Man title in the ultimate universe, desperately needs his own things. His own villains, his own loves, his own goals and motivations. In the movie they do a good job with the last one, they give him his own goals and motivations and personality, and I consider this the best version of Miles as a result. But the Gwen thing is just a reminder he's the "other" Spider-Man, and I think it hurts him overall.

For Gwen, it puts her on the same path as a lot of other heroines where they never write her her own story but instead just pass her around to various heroes and create a bunch of weird relationships. Because she is her own property and is going to be written for her own stories, unless there's some editorial mandate to keep them together you just create this situation where the whole thing is unstable because one team wants to do one thing and the otehr wants to do a different thing. It also very much feels like pair the spares. Like Miles, she should be allowed to have her own things, not have to borrow miles for a part of her story.

Yeah that's what I'm anticipating too. Anyway, I thought it was handled well here. If the trilogy finishes strong, I'd say this is the most rounded Spider-man romance on screen. (I really wish they took the slow burn approach with MJ in the MCU and explored their friendship in depth, but oh well.)

I understand why some may not be a fan of the ship. When Ghost Spider was first introduced, I actually really wanted that Gwen to end up with the Mary Jane of her universe, but Latour and Rodriguez seemed to enjoy taking the piss out of Mary Jane with Em Jay. (which by the way spoilers:
    I'm really glad they didn't adapt Em Jay and made the bandmates a bunch of unnamed randos here
    end of spoilers)
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 06-03-2023 at 01:01 PM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Yeah that's what I'm anticipating too. Anyway, I thought it was handled well here. If the trilogy finishes strong, I'd say this is the most rounded Spider-man romance on screen. (I really wish they took the slow burn approach with MJ in the MCU and explored their friendship in depth, but oh well.)

I understand why some may not be a fan of the ship. When Ghost Spider was first introduced, I actually really wanted that Gwen to end up with the Mary Jane of her universe, but Latour and Rodriguez seemed to enjoy taking the piss out of Mary Jane with Em Jay. (which by the way spoilers:
    I'm really glad they didn't adapt Em Jay and made the bandmates a bunch of unnamed randos here
    end of spoilers)
    spoilers:
    I don't think they were randos. I think that was Em Jay, Glory and Betty.
    end of spoilers
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    spoilers:
    I don't think they were randos. I think that was Em Jay, Glory and Betty.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Maybe. The band singer looked nothing like Em Jay or Mary Jane (unlike the au Peters who all resemble Peter B.) so at the very least I like that they kept it vague.

Can't remember what the other two looked like, but the singer not looking like Mary Jane is what caught my attention most.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 06-03-2023 at 01:31 PM.

I actually found him really funny personally