Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    That gag was hilarious but my favorite was, "Are you bleeding from your armpits?"
    I loved that gag too, how a few folks repeated it throughout the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I hdan't been thinking of this until recently but they really did name her in the main comic too, didn't they? Even if MJ got pregnant again it'd be a little weird to name their second kid the same as the one they lost. Not entirely crazy, but possible.

And of course they could reintroduce her as living the whole time, though in that case I'd prefer if they say they kept her in suspended animation or something, both so we dont' lose the baby time and dont' push the timeline too much (also it'd be a little too much like RYV off the bat if they introduced her as, like, a 6 year old).
    It would be sweet if Mayday had been in suspended animation all this time so that she didn't grow up without her parents. Restoring the marriage and returning Mayday to her parents would be a dream come true but I don't know if Marvel would ever do it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    It would be sweet if Mayday had been in suspended animation all this time so that she didn't grow up without her parents. Restoring the marriage and returning Mayday to her parents would be a dream come true but I don't know if Marvel would ever do it.
    Give Peter and MJ the time they lost after OMD then have Mayday come out of suspended animation
    Last edited by clonegeek; 06-16-2023 at 08:05 AM.

Mighty Member

THe marriage will come back. It's inevitable. Mayday is a little more ambiguous. But comic books, so never impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    THe marriage will come back. It's inevitable. Mayday is a little more ambiguous. But comic books, so never impossible.
    I love your optimism, I hope you're right.
    I do agree the marriage is more likely to return than Mayday.
    Still, thanks to Spider-Verse, more people are aware of Mayday than ever before.
    Last edited by witchboy; 06-20-2023 at 06:37 AM.

Mayday isn't even the child MJ and Peter would have had in the 616 in the comics. They could always change that though and may have already retconned it.

Mighty Member

I love your optimism, I hope you're right.
    I do agree the marriage is more likely to return than MJ.
    Still, thanks to Spider-Verse, more people are aware of Mayday than ever before.
    It's honestly taken longer than I thought it would but even the cmics are slowly backing themselves into it. Ten years ago Slott had MJ saying Spider-Man was too much for her and dating a random firefighter who also risked his life for his job. The last two runs have her back as the primary love interest (yes, she is the love interest of the Wells run despite her positoin and poor treatment). They're getting there, they just are taking a bad way and moving very slowly through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    Mayday isn't even the child MJ and Peter would have had in the 616 in the comics. They could always change that though and may have already retconned it.
    I mean she looks different than the Mayday they drew in MC2 but the baby they lost was named "mayday" Parker, which is why when Peter got messages about "May" he thought it was his child who had been kidnapped but turned out to be Aunt May.

What they would do if they let MJ get pregnant again is up in the air.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

ATSV character designs by Kris Anka:

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    The MC2 Mayday is an AU version of the 616 May Parker II. The baby was explicitly named May, and the backstory of MC2 shows that time diverged with Mayday being kidnapped at birth.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Saw it last night. Icon Theatres is only available in a few cities, but it is available in Chicago (my hometown) and the DC area (where I live now) and they always have deals for Tuesday nights.

For someone who's generally done his "homework" on these movies ahead of watching, I might've dropped the ball. The "To Be Continued" caption at the end really caught me off guard. A bit disappointing, but at least it probably means they didn't have to rush through this movie. On the other hand, my friend asked me if it was appropriate for his 8-year-old kid, and I said maybe it's not the best theatre experience for kids with short attention spans. I think it has so much going on that it's a tad distracting from the main plot, which was otherwise pretty good. On the other hand, it really does get the imagination going, making you think of all the possibilities. Just wish the time between movies wasn't 9 months. If there's one thing Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions got right, it was not drawing out the length between installments.

EDIT: re-reading the very first page of this thread, yes, I definitely dropped the ball.
    Looks like it's going to be an even longer wait. The directors stated in an interview recently that they weren't going to be backed into an arbitrary release date, and that they will release it once it's completed to their satisfaction. Now, the studio might have something to say about that, but it's likely that it will be delayed somewhat.

I saw this on release weekend, only now am I able to talk about it. I thought that it was incredible. Just as good, if not slightly better, than the first for me.

The biggest surprise for me was that the main arc of this movie really didn't belong to Miles, but to Gwen. Miles's have the over-arching story that will carry into the next film, but Gwen's story in this had me hooked. And I realized something about her- by the time she met up with Miles again, she was a completely broken character. I mean, before the first movie, her Peter dies, and her dad starts hunting for Ghost Spider. Then in this movie, he find out who she is a the museum, but instead of supporting his daughter, he moves to arrest her, forcing her to leave her dimension entirely. Then at some point she learns from Miguel that her father is destined to die, which would really mess with your head. Then everything with Miles happened, and Miguel sends her packing. It was only when she reconciled with her father that she started putting the pieces of herself back together, and I found that whole journey to be a very compelling story.

Peter B. Parker and Mayday were a delight, and it was nice to see Pete in a good place this time. You can tell he cares about Miles, and that he wants to side with him, but just doesn't see how.

Spider-Punk was a treat, and I hope we get more of him next movie.

And of course, Miles was brilliant. I especially loved how he lured all of the Spiders out of the base on purpose, just to disappear and sneak back in to go home. Too bad it didn't quite work out the way he expected.

I accept that the final part will probably be delayed, but I will be there opening weekend to see it when it comes out.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Looks like it's going to be an even longer wait. The directors stated in an interview recently that they weren't going to be backed into an arbitrary release date, and that they will release it once it's completed to their satisfaction. Now, the studio might have something to say about that, but it's likely that it will be delayed somewhat.

I saw this on release weekend, only now am I able to talk about it. I thought that it was incredible. Just as good, if not slightly better, than the first for me.

The biggest surprise for me was that the main arc of this movie really didn't belong to Miles, but to Gwen. Miles's have the over-arching story that will carry into the next film, but Gwen's story in this had me hooked. And I realized something about her- by the time she met up with Miles again, she was a completely broken character. I mean, before the first movie, her Peter dies, and her dad starts hunting for Ghost Spider. Then in this movie, he find out who she is a the museum, but instead of supporting his daughter, he moves to arrest her, forcing her to leave her dimension entirely. Then at some point she learns from Miguel that her father is destined to die, which would really mess with your head. Then everything with Miles happened, and Miguel sends her packing. It was only when she reconciled with her father that she started putting the pieces of herself back together, and I found that whole journey to be a very compelling story.

Peter B. Parker and Mayday were a delight, and it was nice to see Pete in a good place this time. You can tell he cares about Miles, and that he wants to side with him, but just doesn't see how.

Spider-Punk was a treat, and I hope we get more of him next movie.

And of course, Miles was brilliant. I especially loved how he lured all of the Spiders out of the base on purpose, just to disappear and sneak back in to go home. Too bad it didn't quite work out the way he expected.

I accept that the final part will probably be delayed, but I will be there opening weekend to see it when it comes out.
    Main arc of all three films is Miles arc. The main arc is not done until Miles arc is done.

Astonishing Member

Screenrant.com:

"Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse was originally set to open March 29, 2024 but has been removed from the calendar, with the studio considering new dates depending on how long the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes last."

Better to get Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse right than to rush it though. Hope it's worth the wait.

I love the first movie. It's one of those few super-hero movies that I have seen several times and still enjoyed at pretty much the same level at repetive viewings. This movie, sadly not so much.

Lets start with the villain as he proclaims himslef to be Miles nemesis. Spot is still played up for laughs and they don't seem to want to go beyond the goofiness of the character, at least not in this movie. He was so inconsequential to my enjoyment of the movie I actually forgot he was in it when we got to the second half.

Then we get Miguel as an antagonist. Poor Miguel this was not the showcase I wanted for you. Not only are you removed from much of how your personality usually is by being so rage fueled but they also make you job for Miles. Miguel was ok in the start when he still was conflicted. But the more the movie went on he was animated as some beserker thrasing his way through the set. It made it abundantly clear that they where trying to set up some "Miles is right" narrative that didn't jib that well.

The more Miles is right the less competent everyone else looks. It's fine with a large organisation in a movie where the boss is missguided by emotions to miss something that the hero sees. Or that hope and standing up for yourself fighting for something you belive in can save the day. Those are hero troupes. It's just that the organisation is made up of AU Spider-men. It both makes more sense that they know more then Miles and that Miles must learn some hard truth for the movie to have a more fulfilling theme.

So I found Miles and his unwillingness to listen and think beyond himself, as it is with these sci-fi concepts like multiverse, to be in character but not in line with the hero edit the movie gave him. I want the movie to show us that Miles can't just fix this without sacrifice. I just don't felt the movie was showing us the ambiguity of the different sides. They more or less gave Miles the hero edit and Miguel the villain edit. So far the evidence is pointing towards Miles risking his whole universe and as a consequence of that the whole multiverse is in line. I can see why people want to believe that it might work but the evidence isn't pointing towards that and therefore they need to act against him. At least detain him.

Now we are seen seeds of doubt in anomalies and Captain or not. It's just that so many Spider-men and earlier canon breaking points can't just all be hinging on Miguel and his theories. It makes for a less enjoyable story and movie if so.

Many of these new Spider-men where reduced to jokes. Ben Reilly the most profolictic victim. I felt the first movie never treated it's spider-men like this. Noir could easily have been just a joke but he wasn't. Even Spider-ham, who is a living joke, wasn't treated like a joke. For me this took away from the emotional core of the movie. It made me care less.

Hobie was a bit grating. Jess has a motorcycle. Mumbattan Spider-man was annoying, just plain annoying. It felt like Gwen and Peter had to carrry a heavier load to balance that out. Thankfully Peter has Mayday who just makes you smile.

It's still an ok movie it's just compared to the first it pales.

Score: 7-8/10

Astonishing Member

While I understand your complaints about Miguel, is it really a sacrifice when what was given up was never yours to begin with? That’s my problem with people’s lack of sympathy to Miles’ plight. It just shows how removed they are from the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    While I understand your complaints about Miguel, is it really a sacrifice when what was given up was never yours to begin with? That’s my problem with people’s lack of sympathy to Miles’ plight. It just shows how removed they are from the situation.
    When sleeping on it I think my feelings boil down to the fact that I don’t know who is right between Miguel and Miles. The movie on the other hand seems to be certain Miles is the way other characters react and how Miles gets to pull off stunts and lines.
    The last movie made me a Miles fan and comics have made me a fan of Miguel. I want to like them both and I feel that the problem presented in the movie offers more than enough room for the conflict to be complex and ambiguous. I really hope that the next part offers more on this and a Miguel who might be right. The way this movie presented them it just made it so easy for Miles to be right and equally easy for Miguel to be wrong.

I will rewatch it in a couple of months. The problems I had with it were definitely influenced my very high expectations after loving the first so much. That one is close as super-hero movies come to a perfect movie for me.