Astonishing Member

Default Spider-Man vs... The Squadron Supreme?

As we know, Marvel is building a colossal event involving Mephisto, and I think it's obvious it will sooner or later affect Spider-Man too. This was appreciated in the recent issue "Avengers #50", while they are trying to find a way to deal with the incomming threat of Mephisto. By the way, if you ask me, this could be a perfect time for the Avengers to ask Spider-Man (Peter Parker, I mean) to join to their team.

Anyway, the issue also showed the current state of the Squadron Supreme of America (Justice League's pastiches). Last time saw, 3 of their members were under custody (Blur, Power Princess and Doctor Spectrum); with Doctor Spectrum turned into a crying baby after StarBrand destroyed his Power Prism. Strangely enough, in this issue we saw his Power Prism was somehow restored; however, Power Princess took it for herself after killing Doctor Spectrum. Their Hyperion was last seen looking for his only "friend" Peter Parker (ignoring Peter hated him because his reckless caused Aunt May's death), but only found Spider-Man. He left to unknown parts, and we discovered here that he came to the Red Widow to undo the brainwashing the USA Goverment do to him to keep him under control. As for Nighthawk, he have seen him pursuing the Infinity Gems, in hopes of using them to restore his false reality. I don't think it will take too much time for the rest of the Squadron to recruit him back.

Anyway, the point here is that the Squadron seems to be free from the manipulations of the USA's Goverment and Mephisto. And that's extremely worrying because, what will they do now? Power Princess said they are no longer puppets, but I'm afraid they could still be Mephisto's puppets; after all, he was their creator. I believe the most logical thing they could pursue is restoring their reality, and get revenge on the Avengers; which is precisely for what Mephisto created them, to be weapons against the Avengers. However, I do believe Spider-Man, having suffered Mephisto's schemes very often in the form of OMD and Kindred, could become the key to make change sides and maybe help the heroes to defeat Mephisto.

Peter Parker's connection with Hyperion could be key for it, if after erasing the brainwashing of the USA Goverment he still remember his "friendship" with Peter Parker. The other members of the Squadron Supreme are not likely to be convinced that easy, as Blur seems to have turned into a psychotic murderer, Power Princess loves war too much and Nighthawk is even crazier than Batman himself. But still, if Spider-Man (Peter Parker) could convince the most powerful member of the Squadron to join his side, that's a big win for the good guys.

There's also the fact that the Squadron wants to restore their world, but it would appear their world still exist somewhere. In the recent Avengers' arc, we see a character from their world joining the most dangerous version of the Masters of Evil that ever existed: Herr Venom, the Black Skull. Also, in the incomming collection of Spider-Gwen through the "Gwen-verse", it would appear that Spider-Gwen will meet several of her own counterparts, including the one from the Squadron's world: NightGwen. So, the Squadron's goal to restore their world is quite pointless because still exists.

Well, what do you think?

Extraordinary Member

Peter should def. be. a part of this but I feel they won't go that route.A few more things to add to your theory

1)Black Cat is using the infinity stones rn and had a run in w/ Nighthawk

2)Mephisto pretty clearly showed that Peter or his daughter would be the ones to bring him down.(Although I'm afraid they'll write this off as one of many possibility and thus not include them in the event)

3)Pretty sure Blur looked up to Peter(and he was the one who married MJ in Reborn, which hopefully won't be brought in 616 in the slightest )

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Funny enough, he already took on the previous incarnation of the Squadron Supreme, made up of survivors of the Multiversal Incursions leading into Secret Wars by Jonathan Hickman, but your idea for Spider-Man joining the Avengers in fighting Mephisto's machinations and possibly swaying Hyperion to their side based on Hyperion's "friendship" with the Peter Parker from his rewritten reality could work, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

OK, so Doctor Spectrum is dead (apparently), and Power Princess and Blur have found Hyperion. Now they are only lacking Nighthawk.

We have seen Nighthawk in the "Black Cat: Infinity Score", being attacked by an enraged Star willing to kill him. Honestly, I would love she killed Nighthawk because that maniac is too dangerous to be left alive. But if he's close enough to Batman, do you really think we will have such luck? I really doubt it, if you ask me.

So, if the rest of the Squadron Supreme reunite with Nighthawl next, what do you think will happen next? Considering how Nighthawk failed to find the Infinity Gems by his own, pretty sure he will join forces with the rest of the Squadron next? What about Star? I don't see how she's going to let Nighthawk live after this. And having one of the Infinity Stones, I don't think he can defeat her even if the rest of the Squadron helps him.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Funny enough, he already took on the previous incarnation of the Squadron Supreme, made up of survivors of the Multiversal Incursions leading into Secret Wars by Jonathan Hickman, but your idea for Spider-Man joining the Avengers in fighting Mephisto's machinations and possibly swaying Hyperion to their side based on Hyperion's "friendship" with the Peter Parker from his rewritten reality could work, too.
    Yeah, but back then, Spidey had the resources of Parker Industries and that Squadron Supreme weren't maniac monsters created by the Devil and twisted by the corrupt USA Goverment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    OK, so Doctor Spectrum is dead (apparently), and Power Princess and Blur have found Hyperion. Now they are only lacking Nighthawk.

We have seen Nighthawk in the "Black Cat: Infinity Score", being attacked by an enraged Star willing to kill him. Honestly, I would love she killed Nighthawk because that maniac is too dangerous to be left alive. But if he's close enough to Batman, do you really think we will have such luck? I really doubt it, if you ask me.

So, if the rest of the Squadron Supreme reunite with Nighthawl next, what do you think will happen next? Considering how Nighthawk failed to find the Infinity Gems by his own, pretty sure he will join forces with the rest of the Squadron next? What about Star? I don't see how she's going to let Nighthawk live after this. And having one of the Infinity Stones, I don't think he can defeat her even if the rest of the Squadron helps him.

Yeah, but back then, Spidey had the resources of Parker Industries and that Squadron Supreme weren't maniac monsters created by the Devil and twisted by the corrupt USA Goverment.
    Fair points.

Extraordinary Member

I was disappointed in the Heroes Reborn story and a 1/2 human 1/2 spider Peter was not part of the final take down.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I was disappointed in the Heroes Reborn story and a 1/2 human 1/2 spider Peter was not part of the final take down.
    Same here. Would have been cool to see Heroes Reborn Peter still become (a) Spider-Man, anyway.

Extraordinary Member

Same here. Would have been cool to see Heroes Reborn Peter still become (a) Spider-Man, anyway.
    Or a Man-Spider.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Or a Man-Spider.
    Man-Spider would be nightmarish to see again, but sometimes, it does take a monster to fight a monster.

Astonishing Member

Man-Spider would be nightmarish to see again, but sometimes, it does take a monster to fight a monster.
    There was a short article in one of the Heroes Reborn's issues where it said Peter Parker indeed turned into a Man-Spider. However, in the last issue, he somehow was returned to normal, just in time to be killed by an insane Phil Coulson.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    There was a short article in one of the Heroes Reborn's issues where it said Peter Parker indeed turned into a Man-Spider. However, in the last issue, he somehow was returned to normal, just in time to be killed by an insane Phil Coulson.
    Must have been temporary, I think. Or somehow, he got cured. And shame about "President Coulson" killing him, though depending on how it happened, he could have had himself an "The Other"-style resurrection.