Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do average ppl on DC Earth know Green Lanterns are powered by/work for aliens?

Read something earlier today that made me wonder and want to ask.

Yes. Even way back in that famous panel from "Hard Traveling Heroes" the old guy says he read that GL worked for the "blue skins."

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yes. Even way back in that famous panel from "Hard Traveling Heroes" the old guy says he read that GL worked for the "blue skins."
    That's the one example that comes to mind, but come to think of it, I don't remember another instance. Would the UN share correspondence with the Guardians?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That’s the one example I saw mentioned;
    With all the Crises and reboots though, have the GLs just kinda gone below the radar?

I mean it’s not a big deal or anything but it seemed like conversation starter.

Before Blackest Night, or maybe Sinestro Corps War, there was a scene of Green Lanterns flying around Coast City, and I think there were alien Green Lanterns among them.

Granted, that was before Flashpoint, but that's a more "recent" example I can think of.

Not to mention, Sinestro War Corps itself happened in the middle of a city, the population should've seen alien Green Lanterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Before Blackest Night, or maybe Sinestro Corps War, there was a scene of Green Lanterns flying around Coast City, and I think there were alien Green Lanterns among them.

Granted, that was before Flashpoint, but that's a more "recent" example I can think of.

Not to mention, Sinestro War Corps itself happened in the middle of a city, the population should've seen alien Green Lanterns.
    Ooh that’s good info, Ty!

People certainly knew there were alien GLs - John and Kat were a prominent couple when John took over for Hal, then right after Crisis there was that whole team living on earth.

I seem to remember them talking to the press fairly openly back then, so I don't think they were hiding the existence of the Guardians from the populace.

Retired

I have a fondness for the early days of Earth-One Green Lantern when he was the star and it was mostly about him fighting super-villains, while maintaining a secret identity as a test pilot. The Guardians and the other Green Lanterns (they weren't even called the Corps yet) were not in every story and mostly existed in the background, primarily as a way to explain why Hal had a ring and a power battery.

It doesn't seem to me that anyone else on Earth, other than Thomas Kalmaku, knew about Guardians and other Green Lanterns. Even the name Green Lantern seems specific to the Hal Jordan character--a name he gives himself or that other people give him, because he uses a power battery that looks like a green lantern and he has a symbol on his chest that looks like a green lantern (and maybe some people were comic book collectors like Barry Allen). It took a bit for other ring holders to be called Green Lanterns.

In my head canon--Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps are the names that Hal uses. His ring translates alien languages into English words that make sense to him. On other planets, the other guys aren't really called Green Lanterns--they are called whatever suits them culturally in their own language.

It’s almost to the point that every average person on earth is a Green Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Lol, right? Is there any other sector with as many Lanterns as Earth?
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Lol, good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In my head canon--Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps are the names that Hal uses. His ring translates alien languages into English words that make sense to him. On other planets, the other guys aren't really called Green Lanterns--they are called whatever suits them culturally in their own language.
    ^^^Oh wow, like how Galactus is seen differently by alien races across the MU. That’s pretty awesome!

^^^LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Ooh that’s good info, Ty!
    I found the moment, it's from Blackest Night#1:

No alien GLs here.

But I did remember that in Green Lanterns#57, a few alien ones showed up on Earth when Cyborg Superman attacked Earth:

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Lol, right? Is there any other sector with as many Lanterns as Earth?
    I think if you look at how many other planets had over the years, they'll still have less Lanterns than Earth has right now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Lol, good one.
    You speak as if it's a joke, eventually everyone on Earth will be a GL .

Assuming the post-Crisis GLC is still somewhat canon, there were a whole buncha alien GL's headquartered in LA for a while (Kilowog, Driq, Ch-p, Salaak, Arisia, Katma, etc.). Heck, Kilowog even helped the Russians with their Rocket Red program for a while. And that's not even counting G'Nort, who hung around Earth for no particularly good reason for a long time.

I think it's safe to say that if you're a civilian that's interested in super-heroes on the DCU Earth, you're probably aware of the Corps.

BANNED

I think Waller discussed this either around Trinity War or when Simon Baz showed up. IIRC, the government knows and has files on each GL that details their backgrounds. Not sure if their files for the masked GLs are as detailed