Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

I think i'll get this when the digital TPB is released i intended to read it but taking that month off from comics threw off a lot of intentions. Like the X-cellents. But there should be a good trade month coming up soon. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hector Tago coming back as the new Punisher 2099 and pitting him against the cyberized Jake Gallows could be interesting.
    considering who they name-dropped in this issue, I expect Gallows to be "Death's Head", so bringing Tago back as Punisher proper would be great

Any hopes and dreams for the next mini? We've seen several new 2099 iterations of characters in the last few storylines/miniseries, and just as many legacy 2099 characters killed off and/or reimagined, so I'm curious what they'll do next.

Personally, I'd love to see some of the 2099 baddies introduced in Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time brought into the comics proper, like the lady Doc Oc, Hobgoblin, Black Cat, Arcade, etc.

Plus, just, like, some more original characters? Like, Ravage wasn't a 2099 version of a pre-existing mainline character, he was new to the 2099 line. We don't have enough of those, and what few existed haven't really been in the new continuity at all.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think i'll get this when the digital TPB is released i intended to read it but taking that month off from comics threw off a lot of intentions. Like the X-cellents. But there should be a good trade month coming up soon. lol
    I think the TPB for Spider-Man 2099: Dark Genesis comes out either this July or August.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    considering who they name-dropped in this issue, I expect Gallows to be "Death's Head", so bringing Tago back as Punisher proper would be great
    That would be pretty cool.

Any hopes and dreams for the next mini? We've seen several new 2099 iterations of characters in the last few storylines/miniseries, and just as many legacy 2099 characters killed off and/or reimagined, so I'm curious what they'll do next.

Personally, I'd love to see some of the 2099 baddies introduced in Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time brought into the comics proper, like the lady Doc Oc, Hobgoblin, Black Cat, Arcade, etc.

Plus, just, like, some more original characters? Like, Ravage wasn't a 2099 version of a pre-existing mainline character, he was new to the 2099 line. We don't have enough of those, and what few existed haven't really been in the new continuity at all.
    And the X-Men 2099 were all characters unconnected to the present-day X-Men that happened to be mutants as well. The original 2099 timeline's backstory of mutants being purged after or during the events that ended the "Heroic Age" was interesting, too, if I'm recalling that correctly.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

I just want some consistency from Marvel with 2099-centric projects. Dark Genesis seems like the first time they've actually followed up on a previous storyline since every other time they've revisited 2099 the setting is always changed drastically from what came before. They introduced the Black Cards (which I can't ever remember being a thing) as the major problem in the world, before that it was something about views on social media which was the whole point of Hector Tago becoming Punisher, etc.

While I don't exactly want them to keep going back to the Mega-Corporations (tired of seeing Alchemax as the main problem) I think they need to go back to basics, establish firm rules for the setting so that they're not changing everything each time they decide to do a mini, and then map out arcs for each respective problem the setting has that can be dealt with accordingly. That way they could have something set up for AFTER they overthrow the Mega-Corporations and what have you without being reliant on always defaulting back to them.

And put some more damn thought into 2099 iterations of heroic age characters, I'm tired of seeing characters who are either functionally carbon copies of their namesake, a relative, or someone that shouldn't be alive. Moon Knight 2099 is cool because outside of worshipping Khonshu she's closer to being heroic age Ghost Rider than Zero Cochrane is as Ghost Rider 2099, there are similarities with her namesake but she's different enough to be distinguishable from Marc Spector. Meanwhile we have Daredevil 2099 who is not just apparently related to Foggy Nelson but seems to have Matt's powers dialed up to 11. Honestly I kinda liked the Samuel Fisk version better despite his relationship to the Kingpin because it felt like his heritage made him a more compelling character, plus (personal bias) that power suit was sick.

It's one thing for someone like Thor to be running around in that timeframe, dude's a god, but there is no excuse for someone like Norman freaking Osborn to still be alive.

For that matter why do they insist on continuously having the mutants act like entitled pricks? Unless you're extremely rich it's pretty clear that EVERYONE'S lives suck in that cyberpunk setting regardless whether or not they're a mutant.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    I just want some consistency from Marvel with 2099-centric projects. Dark Genesis seems like the first time they've actually followed up on a previous storyline since every other time they've revisited 2099 the setting is always changed drastically from what came before. They introduced the Black Cards (which I can't ever remember being a thing) as the major problem in the world, before that it was something about views on social media which was the whole point of Hector Tago becoming Punisher, etc.

While I don't exactly want them to keep going back to the Mega-Corporations (tired of seeing Alchemax as the main problem) I think they need to go back to basics, establish firm rules for the setting so that they're not changing everything each time they decide to do a mini, and then map out arcs for each respective problem the setting has that can be dealt with accordingly. That way they could have something set up for AFTER they overthrow the Mega-Corporations and what have you without being reliant on always defaulting back to them.

And put some more damn thought into 2099 iterations of heroic age characters, I'm tired of seeing characters who are either functionally carbon copies of their namesake, a relative, or someone that shouldn't be alive. Moon Knight 2099 is cool because outside of worshipping Khonshu she's closer to being heroic age Ghost Rider than Zero Cochrane is as Ghost Rider 2099, there are similarities with her namesake but she's different enough to be distinguishable from Marc Spector. Meanwhile we have Daredevil 2099 who is not just apparently related to Foggy Nelson but seems to have Matt's powers dialed up to 11. Honestly I kinda liked the Samuel Fisk version better despite his relationship to the Kingpin because it felt like his heritage made him a more compelling character, plus (personal bias) that power suit was sick.

It's one thing for someone like Thor to be running around in that timeframe, dude's a god, but there is no excuse for someone like Norman freaking Osborn to still be alive.

For that matter why do they insist on continuously having the mutants act like entitled pricks? Unless you're extremely rich it's pretty clear that EVERYONE'S lives suck in that cyberpunk setting regardless whether or not they're a mutant.
    On the subject of the black cards, those were introduced as far back as the original Marvel 2099 line and explained or described as being accessible only to that era's societal elite, which granted both unlimited funds and complete legal impunity. In that regard, it was how Tyler Stone's legally acknowledged son Kron could murder Jake Gallows' entire family for s***s and giggles and only have to pay a monetary fine for that. Hell, there was a one-off story in Spider-Man 2099 where a gang made up of wealthy schoolgirls called "The Maryjanes," who went around terrorizing and killing people for the f*** of it, were taken down by having their black cards ripped up so they'd no longer be immune to legal consequences for their actions.

Incredible Member

Haven't read the old stuff in a while and I can't say that I actually had the chance to read Gallows original comics.

Haven't read the old stuff in a while and I can't say that I actually had the chance to read Gallows original comics.
    Fair enough, though Kron Stone killing Gallows' family and getting off with just a monetary penalty was the whole impetus for him becoming the 2099 Punisher. That said, I can see your point about not wanting Alchemax and other megacorps to be the sole source of evil in the future of 2099. I'd still go for them as a major if not primary source of evil, seeing as they're the ones running s*** (into the ground) in the future, but there's plenty of evil that can be done to and by people on the streets, too.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 06-01-2023 at 06:56 PM.

but there is no excuse for someone like Norman freaking Osborn to still be alive.
    I am still baffled as to why the Cabal, a group that hasn't been a thing since Dark Reign in 2008, were chosen to be the villains of Exodus, set in 2099. Setting aside for one moment the fact that all of them should be dead, like, it's been a decade and a half since that particular villain group were relevant.

Also kinda makes me not care about any of Norman's current reformation arc knowing he's just gonna be green goblin again later. Well, there are other reasons I don't care, but it sure doesn't help heh

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Fair enough, though Kron Stone killing Gallows' family and getting off with just a monetary penalty was the whole impetus for him becoming the 2099 Punisher. That said, I can see your point about not wanting Alchemax and other megacorps to be the sole source of evil in the future of 2099. I'd still go for them as a major if not primary source of evil, seeing as they're the ones running s*** (into the ground) in the future, but there's plenty of evil that can be done to and by people on the streets, too.
    Like I said while I’m familiar with the broad strokes of his origins I have never actually been able to read the original run of Punisher 2099, so the black cards were a new detail for me.

That said if they’ve been around since the beginning then they should have established dismantling the Black Cards as either an overarching arc for the setting or at the very least part of Gallows/Punisher’s personal arc to ensure what happened to his family can’t be repeated by another Kron Stone. The former would have made a good starting point towards dismantling the Mega-Corporations, which in turn could have been the point of the next overarching arc for 2099. The increase of both corporate sponsored and opportunistic villains popping up in the aftermath of the Black Cards could have easily served as the beginning of corporations like Alchemax & D/Monix visibly declining as they start gradually losing power and influence in the wake of this new age of heroes. From there we can start seeing the signs of what the next major problem is going to be once the mega-corps are finally dealt with.

Basically what we could/should be seeing in 2099 is a blend of the problems we’ve seen in similar settings like Cyberpunk, Ghost in the Shell, the Matrix, Johnny Mnemonic, Terminator, RoboCop, Alita Battle Angel, etc. Things shouldn’t have gone to crap for any one thing, but a collection of factors that are constantly shifting. So yes, we should probably have a robot uprising at some point that result in Ghost Rider becoming a villain (which honestly wouldn’t have been too much of a stretch given how he was acting before Ghost Works started messing with his mind) or turns into Ghost Works doing its best Skynet impersonation.

I am still baffled as to why the Cabal, a group that hasn't been a thing since Dark Reign in 2008, were chosen to be the villains of Exodus, set in 2099. Setting aside for one moment the fact that all of them should be dead, like, it's been a decade and a half since that particular villain group were relevant.

Also kinda makes me not care about any of Norman's current reformation arc knowing he's just gonna be green goblin again later. Well, there are other reasons I don't care, but it sure doesn't help heh
    By the same token you could argue why the heroes of any given era always default to calling themselves the Avengers/Defenders or the mutants are always the X-Men. Not really difficult to take up the name when nobody’s using it. Honestly having A cabal of people controlling the world in 2099 fits rather nicely with the dystopian setting so the group could have actually worked really well if it had been given a bit more thought and approached as something other than a generic team of villains.

That said, even in Dark Reign the name Cabal implies its members being more or less even in terms of power which is not remotely what we got. It’d be one thing if the Goblin was just the most proactive member of a larger group, but he’s implied to have outclassed them by such a wide margin that him ever being involved with the group doesn’t really make all that much sense when you think about it.

Outside of Osborn I don’t think the rest of the Masters of Evil/Cabal were supposed to be their original counterparts, rather they were the current iterations of those characters from that particular point in time. The closest I could see them being is Zemo being descended from Helmut Zemo, outside of Black Knight everyone else likely just pulled a Miguel and adopted the name of a villain with similar powers.

I don’t know why anyone would be invested in Norman’s reformation since it would have to be WIDELY successful for Marvel to even consider not having him go back to being the Green Goblin and I just don’t see it. Nobody’s been talking about the Gold Goblin as far as I know which means the concept likely hasn’t taken off in the way it would need to for the change to be made permanent, honestly the concept as it’s currently been presented might have worked with Phil Urich if they hadn’t regressed him into becoming the Hobgoblin or whatever he’s calling himself nowadays. Norman will always be the Green Goblin no matter how hard Marvel tries to make it otherwise, that’s why his stint as Iron Patriot, Red Goblin, Goblin King, Super Adaptoid, and Lex Luthor have never stuck.

Honestly I don’t know why they’re even trying to redeem the character, he’s not someone like 80’s Venom or even Magneto whose actions come from a good, albeit twisted place and that legitimately believe that they’re doing the right thing. Even Doc Ock had some redeemable qualities to him BEFORE they made him into Superior Spider-Man, meanwhile Norman’s always been something of a borderline sociopath even before he got the Goblin Serum.

Like I said while I’m familiar with the broad strokes of his origins I have never actually been able to read the original run of Punisher 2099, so the black cards were a new detail for me.

That said if they’ve been around since the beginning then they should have established dismantling the Black Cards as either an overarching arc for the setting or at the very least part of Gallows/Punisher’s personal arc to ensure what happened to his family can’t be repeated by another Kron Stone. The former would have made a good starting point towards dismantling the Mega-Corporations, which in turn could have been the point of the next overarching arc for 2099. The increase of both corporate sponsored and opportunistic villains popping up in the aftermath of the Black Cards could have easily served as the beginning of corporations like Alchemax & D/Monix visibly declining as they start gradually losing power and influence in the wake of this new age of heroes. From there we can start seeing the signs of what the next major problem is going to be once the mega-corps are finally dealt with.

Basically what we could/should be seeing in 2099 is a blend of the problems we’ve seen in similar settings like Cyberpunk, Ghost in the Shell, the Matrix, Johnny Mnemonic, Terminator, RoboCop, Alita Battle Angel, etc. Things shouldn’t have gone to crap for any one thing, but a collection of factors that are constantly shifting. So yes, we should probably have a robot uprising at some point that result in Ghost Rider becoming a villain (which honestly wouldn’t have been too much of a stretch given how he was acting before Ghost Works started messing with his mind) or turns into Ghost Works doing its best Skynet impersonation.

By the same token you could argue why the heroes of any given era always default to calling themselves the Avengers/Defenders or the mutants are always the X-Men. Not really difficult to take up the name when nobody’s using it. Honestly having A cabal of people controlling the world in 2099 fits rather nicely with the dystopian setting so the group could have actually worked really well if it had been given a bit more thought and approached as something other than a generic team of villains.

That said, even in Dark Reign the name Cabal implies its members being more or less even in terms of power which is not remotely what we got. It’d be one thing if the Goblin was just the most proactive member of a larger group, but he’s implied to have outclassed them by such a wide margin that him ever being involved with the group doesn’t really make all that much sense when you think about it.

Outside of Osborn I don’t think the rest of the Masters of Evil/Cabal were supposed to be their original counterparts, rather they were the current iterations of those characters from that particular point in time. The closest I could see them being is Zemo being descended from Helmut Zemo, outside of Black Knight everyone else likely just pulled a Miguel and adopted the name of a villain with similar powers.

I don’t know why anyone would be invested in Norman’s reformation since it would have to be WIDELY successful for Marvel to even consider not having him go back to being the Green Goblin and I just don’t see it. Nobody’s been talking about the Gold Goblin as far as I know which means the concept likely hasn’t taken off in the way it would need to for the change to be made permanent, honestly the concept as it’s currently been presented might have worked with Phil Urich if they hadn’t regressed him into becoming the Hobgoblin or whatever he’s calling himself nowadays. Norman will always be the Green Goblin no matter how hard Marvel tries to make it otherwise, that’s why his stint as Iron Patriot, Red Goblin, Goblin King, Super Adaptoid, and Lex Luthor have never stuck.

Honestly I don’t know why they’re even trying to redeem the character, he’s not someone like 80’s Venom or even Magneto whose actions come from a good, albeit twisted place and that legitimately believe that they’re doing the right thing. Even Doc Ock had some redeemable qualities to him BEFORE they made him into Superior Spider-Man, meanwhile Norman’s always been something of a borderline sociopath even before he got the Goblin Serum.
    You raise good points there about how the 2099 setting could have evolved as the "New Heroic Age" took hold.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Miguel and Mayday:

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

saw the movie today. Good showing and lots of screen-time for Miguel. spoilers:
    They beat him mercilessly with the villain stick tho lol. But like, in such a way that I firmly believe he'll be getting his big damn hero moment in Beyond next March, so I'm not too torn up about it.
    end of spoilers

I wonder when the decision to make this weekly happened, because if it had been monthly it'd be ending right before Symbiote Spider-Man begins in October. That being said I'm glad it was weekly so we didn't need to wait heh.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

I wonder when the decision to make this weekly happened, because if it had been monthly it'd be ending right before Symbiote Spider-Man begins in October. That being said I'm glad it was weekly so we didn't need to wait heh.
    Yeah, that was nice. I can't wait for Symbiote Spider-Man 2099 by PAD. His work is always great fun to read.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker