Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    Didn't the entire 2099 universe including in original Spider-Man 2099 end when there was some big major world flood that happened or whatever back then during the last issue of regular Spider-Man 2099 and how did X-Men 2099 end anyway also?
    not no, but, everyone just pretends that never happened. Because that storyline was the result of all the authors walking in protest when Marvel fired the line editor as a cost-saving measure and had short notice replacements in to wrap things up on each of the currently ongoing titles.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    not no, but, everyone just pretends that never happened. Because that storyline was the result of all the authors walking in protest when Marvel fired the line editor as a cost-saving measure and had short notice replacements in to wrap things up on each of the currently ongoing titles.
    Pretty much, and considering the whole industry seemed to be collapsing around that same period under the weight of too much speculation and overlong and overly convoluted storylines that weren't paying off with the readers . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

have Kron or Alea shown up in any of the Venomverse stories yet?

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

No, they have not.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

sigh... more and more wasted potential. First it was not using Tempest in the Spiders vs Wasps Spiderverse story and now it's the continued non-use of Venom 2099 in Venomverse smh lol

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

sigh... more and more wasted potential. First it was not using Tempest in the Spiders vs Wasps Spiderverse story and now it's the continued non-use of Venom 2099 in Venomverse smh lol
    I don't think Tempest is leaving that island paradise with her son and Miguel anytime soon. So...it kind of makes sense for her not to show up in Spider-Verse.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    No, they have not.
    Indeed. I would have much preferred Kron and/or Alea in the Venomverse sagas than just "Venom, but if the symbiote had bonded with other superheroes besides Spider-Man." That said, I do hold out faint hope for Venomverse Reborn . . . and it's also a crime that Mayhem from MC2 Spider-Girl and Mayday/Venom from Earth X didn't appear in Venomverse, either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Time-warping shenanigans, I'm certain. Technically, this could be the original 2099 timeline as it would be if PAD had been able to stay on and complete his originally intended storylines.
    Yeah, I was really confused about that. I thought Jake Gallows became a fascist leader of SHIELD and died in the original 2099 timeline, which I thought this was set in. So I was very confused by his death here.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, I was really confused about that. I thought Jake Gallows became a fascist leader of SHIELD and died in the original 2099 timeline, which I thought this was set in. So I was very confused by his death here.
    A fascist leader of S.H.I.E.L.D. appointed by Doom 2099, no less.

BANNED

A fascist leader of S.H.I.E.L.D. appointed by Doom 2099, no less.
    That's right! I had dropped off Punisher 2099 by that point. I always found Jake to be kind of...well, I guess "fun" might be the wrong word....an entertaining character. He was an absolute crazy person to the point where he made Frank Castle seem reasonable, but that was part of why I liked his series early on. He and Miguel were the only 2099 books I really followed with any regularity.

That's right! I had dropped off Punisher 2099 by that point. I always found Jake to be kind of...well, I guess "fun" might be the wrong word....an entertaining character. He was an absolute crazy person to the point where he made Frank Castle seem reasonable, but that was part of why I liked his series early on. He and Miguel were the only 2099 books I really followed with any regularity.
    "I don't need a jetpack! All I need . . . is hate!" Funny thing was that his writer was the same guy who did a lot of the Judge Dredd comics back in the day, so satirizing militarized police and creeping fascism vis-a-vis said militarized police would be right up his alley in terms of how Punisher 2099 was handled. That said, a lot of that satire seemed to have gone over a lot of people's heads at the time, and even now, perhaps, we could debate whether or not it was intended to be satire in the first place.

BANNED

"I don't need a jetpack! All I need . . . is hate!" Funny thing was that his writer was the same guy who did a lot of the Judge Dredd comics back in the day, so satirizing militarized police and creeping fascism vis-a-vis said militarized police would be right up his alley in terms of how Punisher 2099 was handled. That said, a lot of that satire seemed to have gone over a lot of people's heads at the time, and even now, perhaps, we could debate whether or not it was intended to be satire in the first place.
    I was pretty young when that book first came out (like so young I probably should not have been reading it) so I didn't get it at the time, but upon giving some of those a look as an adult, they're so absurd that I can only HOPE it's satire.

"How old are you?"
    "Thirty-six....caliber."
    "Where do you live?"
    "On the edge."

It's pretty hilarious to read as an adult.

Funny thing was that his writer was the same guy who did a lot of the Judge Dredd comics back in the day, so satirizing militarized police and creeping fascism vis-a-vis said militarized police would be right up his alley in terms of how Punisher 2099 was handled. That said, a lot of that satire seemed to have gone over a lot of people's heads at the time, and even now, perhaps, we could debate whether or not it was intended to be satire in the first place.
    There have always been people who were unsure whether Judge Dredd was satire or not.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

I was pretty young when that book first came out (like so young I probably should not have been reading it) so I didn't get it at the time, but upon giving some of those a look as an adult, they're so absurd that I can only HOPE it's satire.

"How old are you?"
    "Thirty-six....caliber."
    "Where do you live?"
    "On the edge."

It's pretty hilarious to read as an adult.
    Indeed. I think today, we'd refer to lines like that as straight-up "edgelord."

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    There have always been people who were unsure whether Judge Dredd was satire or not.
    Uh-huh. Sometimes, when you depict a thing, even if it is to ultimately hold a mirror to it and expose its flaws and failings, there'll be people who just look at it and think, "Cool!" Kind of like what happened with Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns, where they were both meant to be deconstructions and somewhat satirical, though too many people took them both at face value and thought that was how superheroes were supposed to be now, which resulted in a lot of the badness, if not plain awfulness, that came about in superhero comics during the 1990s.

Sometimes, when you depict a thing, even if it is to ultimately hold a mirror to it and expose its flaws and failings, there'll be people who just look at it and think, "Cool!" Kind of like what happened with Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns, where they were both meant to be deconstructions and somewhat satirical, though too many people took them both at face value and thought that was how superheroes were supposed to be now, which resulted in a lot of the badness, if not plain awfulness, that came about in superhero comics during the 1990s.
    That's certainly true of Watchmen. Given Frank Miller's views as I understand them the unironic reading of Dark Knight Returns is not that far off what he actually believes.
    One of the things is that Dredd, DKR's Batman, and Rorschach are all highly competent at what they do, which tends to make the satirical reading less obvious.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi