Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Anyone been reading 2099 Exodus?

I appreciate the world building and focus on 2099, while the dialogue and the padding that setting up characters is causing could use some work tbh.
    I have. Every issue since Alpha. Looking forward to getting them all in trade, but you'd think more people would be talking about Spider-Man 2099: Exodus. I especially enjoy how Steve Orlando has managed to work in extrapolations of some more recent developments in present-day Marvel canon like Norman Osborn leading the Cabal during Dark Reign and Loki's semi-heroic turn after his "resurrection" following the end of Dark Reign and interweave those with the future setting of 2099. Hell, the new 2099 characters seem intriguing enough thus far to spin off a whole new Marvel 2099 line based on them, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

i lament that we finally got a Black Knight 2099 and not only did they not do anything with him but killed him off panel to a knock-off Zemo.

As always I'm happy to return to 2099, just wish Marvel had a little more consistency with just how the timeline is supposed to be. Seems like every time they revisit it things are somehow worse off than they were in the previous run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so how many years has Miguel been at this? Is it '2099" still, or 2105, or what?
    I distinctively remember one 2099 series ending with the year changing to 2100, but I guess that doesn't exactly have the same ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    i lament that we finally got a Black Knight 2099 and not only did they not do anything with him but killed him off panel to a knock-off Zemo.

As always I'm happy to return to 2099, just wish Marvel had a little more consistency with just how the timeline is supposed to be. Seems like every time they revisit it things are somehow worse off than they were in the previous run.
    Yeah, I'll admit we could (or should) have gotten more out of the Masters of Evil 2099, especially Black Knight 2099. As for how bad things are or tend to be in every successive 2099 run, I think the issue is that 2099 started off as one of the worst-case scenarios for the future of the Marvel Universe --- the heroes long dead and gone, unscrupulous megacorps in charge of (almost) everything and everyone left on the planet, advanced technology as just another tool for power and control by the elites over everyone else . . . classic cyberpunk setting, so it'd always have a certain amount or level of grimness to its premise.

That said, you do have a point that they keep ramping up that grimness, even though I'd argue as well that there's no real need for an ultimate mastermind orchestrating the high-tech corporate-dominated dystopia the future has become. In the original 2099 line, it was just rich opportunists who seized the chance for more wealth and more power in the wake of a cataclysmic event that wiped out all the superheroes and kept going just to preserve that wealth and power, not a grand scheme by a supervillain puppet master in the shadows --- Doctor Doom in Nick Spencer's attempted 2099 relaunch, now Norman Osborn in 2099: Exodus. To me, that's slightly more realistic, at least compared to one shadowy ultimate villain behind everything, insofar as basic human nature being what it is, the scramble for survival and advancement would be more than enough to allow for or enable the worst excesses of a future dominated by massive megacorporations.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I distinctively remember one 2099 series ending with the year changing to 2100, but I guess that doesn't exactly have the same ring to it.
    But if we reach the real year 2100 and Spidey Comis are still around, the 2099 in names and titles could seem a bit outmoded !

Quote Originally Posted by The Nice Centurion View Post
    But if we reach the real year 2100 and Spidey Comis are still around, the 2099 in names and titles could seem a bit outmoded !
    we did reach year 2100 in his last solo series but it got retcon
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Probably what happened to Iron Man 2020, they'd just write in a 616 version of the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    we did reach year 2100 in his last solo series but it got retcon
    Peter David hasn't worked on 2099 since reaching that year, maybe he's refused to do the gigs because he considers his story for Miguel finished?

Another question: In the 90s as the 2099 comic books died out one After the other in the last 2099 series standing("2099 Unlimited" I think), the wold was destroyed and the fee surviving Chars fled into space! How die they retcon that? For in later years 2099 books planet earth seems to have repaired itself, and the dead Chars and all humanity are risen!
    Last edited by The Nice Centurion; 07-03-2022 at 09:08 PM.

Another question: In the 90s as the 2099 comic books died out one After the other in the last 2099 series standing("2099 Unlimited" I think), the wold was destroyed and the fee surviving Chars fled into space! How die they retcon that? For in later years 2099 books planet earth seems to have repaired itself, and the dead Chars and all humanity are risen!
    The finale of Marvel 2099, 2099: Manifest Destiny, was retconned as a separate continuity from the "main" 2099 line when Dan Slott brought back Miguel O'Hara in Superior Spider-Man, and then Peter David started writing a new Spider-Man 2099 title picking up from Miguel being stranded in the present, trying to steer the newborn Alchemax in a more positive direction so the future he'd return to eventually wouldn't be such a s***show anymore.

Back from hibernation after a friend told me this new miniseries exists. Am now caught up and waiting for the final issue. Honestly... not terribly impressed. They got rid of most of the new characters that were built up in v2 and v3, haven't mentioned Tempest at all that I've caught, most of the 2099 Avengers we've come to know aren't even mentioned and Roberta is in like a third of an issue. They brought back a couple of the X-men, Ghost Rider, and... that's it so far? No Doom, new Widow, new Hawkeye... I like the Winter Soldier, I like the Loki issue, Young Cable is a neat touch... But don't get me started on The Cabal. I groaned out loud. There have been highs and lows but mostly this has been a pretty meh event so far. Hardly worthy of the 30th anniversary label the solicits are waving around. Nice to see Miguel back though I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    Back from hibernation after a friend told me this new miniseries exists. Am now caught up and waiting for the final issue. Honestly... not terribly impressed. They got rid of most of the new characters that were built up in v2 and v3, haven't mentioned Tempest at all that I've caught, most of the 2099 Avengers we've come to know aren't even mentioned and Roberta is in like a third of an issue. They brought back a couple of the X-men, Ghost Rider, and... that's it so far? No Doom, new Widow, new Hawkeye... I like the Winter Soldier, I like the Loki issue, Young Cable is a neat touch... But don't get me started on The Cabal. I groaned out loud. There have been highs and lows but mostly this has been a pretty meh event so far. Hardly worthy of the 30th anniversary label the solicits are waving around. Nice to see Miguel back though I guess?
    I can respect your points. I think Spider-Man 2099: Exodus is supposed to be set in the new 2099 timeline created by the 2019 relaunch spearheaded by Nick Spencer, but that theory's a bit inconsistent with the revelation at the beginning of Exodus that the Cabal, led by Norman Osborn instead of Doctor Doom, was behind this future becoming a megacorp-dominated hellscape. Has been an interesting read for some or most of the new characters, but I do agree we could have seen more from the original 2099 characters, especially Daredevil 2099, given Mark Waid's original concept for him.

On a hopefully more positive note, though . . . Miguel is getting a prose novel, even though he's sharing it with Anya "Arana" Corazon. Will be interesting to read how they play off each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    On a hopefully more positive note, though . . . Miguel is getting a prose novel, even though he's sharing it with Anya "Arana" Corazon. Will be interesting to read how they play off each other.
    Wait what?? I hadn't heard about that! Exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    Wait what?? I hadn't heard about that! Exciting!
    Indeed, it is.

Astonishing Member

I'm not feeling this story. As a fan of Miguel at least he's treated with respect. But the plot is all over the place and leans in a unearned epicness.