Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 380
  1. #76
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    Final issue is out!

    I was just talking with some people about how spoilers:
    2099 shied away from introducing too many other Spider-Peoples, and that a proper Spider-Woman 2099 could be interesting some day. And here she is! ...and we know literally nothing about her. Oh well.
    end of spoilers

    Initial thoughts: spoilers:
    Yup, that was a final issue. Wraps up the event, big brawl, Normie laid low, Valkyrie and Ghost Rider, & others from previous issues all get some nice callbacks. Avengers show up again. Remind me when Wakanda got its own planet??? A little annoyed that we never really got any explanation for things like: Why is Miguel back in 2099? Where's his wife & kid? What happened to Sonny? What happened to the other Black Widow and Hawkeye? Where's Goblin 2099? Etc etc.

    For a supposed 30th anniversary celebration, it brought back surprisingly few of the original 2099 characters. It was Miguel, Kenshiro, some of the X-Men, Hulk... Oh Black Panther I guess, technically, though he was barely in it. Wait was that even the same Black Panther we've seen before? Roberta & Warda came back from the recent runs... Strange and Daredevil got merced in a flashback sequence in Issue 3 with the "all the avengers are dead" spread. There's a woman in the back getting killed who's wearing Tania's Black Widow gear but her hair and skin color are wrong, wonder if we can put that down to artist error, ditto for the person in Relur's Human Torch getup but not having blue skin. Oh nevermind, Relur is colored correctly a few pages later when he gets a closeup. They really just killed a bunch of old favorites off-screen, huh.

    Griping about returning characters aside, eh that was a fairly decent mini. It's a nice glimpse at the corporatocracy of 2099, Miguel is a leader amongst his peers, we get to see different parts of the world and the people in it, getting brief little primers on the X-Men, the Norse gods, the Avengers, Spider-Man, and miscellaneous others. All in all a decent enough little 7 issue run and due to its nature requires basically no prior reading so you could easily toss it at someone as a jumping on point. Hoping it leads to more things in the future, and that we get to revisit these new characters sooner rather than later.
    end of spoilers
    Maybe that unexpected character will have a role in the incomming "The End of the Spider-Verse".

  2. #77
    Mighty Member Webhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Maybe that unexpected character will have a role in the incomming "The End of the Spider-Verse".
    Definitely. The introduction was a bit awkward though.

  3. #78
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Definitely. The introduction was a bit awkward though.
    Not to mention we have no idea from where she came from.

  4. #79
    Fantastic Member Man-Thing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I enjoyed the last issue, it was good fun. Think the heavy exposition and the character-focused issue method could've been cut down a bit since as a whole it reads like super long setup and then it just wraps up.
    It kinda reads like it was going to be an issue or two longer and had to get condensed down.

  5. #80
    Fantastic Member Man-Thing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Not to mention we have no idea from where she came from.
    Yeah, she's in a spread at the end of issue #3, and isn't named, and then just shows up again in this issue with no explanation of who she is until the literal last page, and even then it's not much of an explanation.

  6. #81
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    21,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    Final issue is out!

    I was just talking with some people about how spoilers:
    2099 shied away from introducing too many other Spider-Peoples, and that a proper Spider-Woman 2099 could be interesting some day. And here she is! ...and we know literally nothing about her. Oh well.
    end of spoilers

    Initial thoughts: spoilers:
    Yup, that was a final issue. Wraps up the event, big brawl, Normie laid low, Valkyrie and Ghost Rider, & others from previous issues all get some nice callbacks. Avengers show up again. Remind me when Wakanda got its own planet??? A little annoyed that we never really got any explanation for things like: Why is Miguel back in 2099? Where's his wife & kid? What happened to Sonny? What happened to the other Black Widow and Hawkeye? Where's Goblin 2099? Etc etc.

    For a supposed 30th anniversary celebration, it brought back surprisingly few of the original 2099 characters. It was Miguel, Kenshiro, some of the X-Men, Hulk... Oh Black Panther I guess, technically, though he was barely in it. Wait was that even the same Black Panther we've seen before? Roberta & Warda came back from the recent runs... Strange and Daredevil got merced in a flashback sequence in Issue 3 with the "all the avengers are dead" spread. There's a woman in the back getting killed who's wearing Tania's Black Widow gear but her hair and skin color are wrong, wonder if we can put that down to artist error, ditto for the person in Relur's Human Torch getup but not having blue skin. Oh nevermind, Relur is colored correctly a few pages later when he gets a closeup. They really just killed a bunch of old favorites off-screen, huh.

    Griping about returning characters aside, eh that was a fairly decent mini. It's a nice glimpse at the corporatocracy of 2099, Miguel is a leader amongst his peers, we get to see different parts of the world and the people in it, getting brief little primers on the X-Men, the Norse gods, the Avengers, Spider-Man, and miscellaneous others. All in all a decent enough little 7 issue run and due to its nature requires basically no prior reading so you could easily toss it at someone as a jumping on point. Hoping it leads to more things in the future, and that we get to revisit these new characters sooner rather than later.
    end of spoilers
    Generally cosigned, though this issue gets a few points from me for spoilers:
    finally giving Norman Osborn the comeuppance he deserves.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  7. #82
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Generally cosigned, though this issue gets a few points from me for spoilers:
    finally giving Norman Osborn the comeuppance he deserves.
    end of spoilers
    I personally would have liked to see Miguel giving Norman the beating of his life, something we know Peter wouldn't be able to do.

  8. #83
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    21,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I personally would have liked to see Miguel giving Norman the beating of his life, something we know Peter wouldn't be able to do.
    That would have been nice, but I was satisfied enough with where he ended up.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  9. #84
    Fantastic Member Man-Thing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    385

    Default

    So I went back and reread the Amazing Spider-Man 2099 and Amazing Spider-Man 2099 Companion trades. I guess, begrudgingly, you could argue that this Exodus run takes place in the new 2099 that resulted from that event, but I'm not happy about it lol. Ulana does say, at the beginning of the final issue, that "[this is] a reality rewoven... ...unified from disparate timelines." And we have seen characters from the original Marvel 2099, the Timestorm event, the recent SM2099 & associated runs — which themselves included stuff from Marvel Knights 2099... so I guess this is just sorta the One 2099™ that is a a mashup of all 2099 that has come before it. Which is a neat concept in theory. Will have to further see how it's executed upon outside of an event context like this.

  10. #85
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    21,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    So I went back and reread the Amazing Spider-Man 2099 and Amazing Spider-Man 2099 Companion trades. I guess, begrudgingly, you could argue that this Exodus run takes place in the new 2099 that resulted from that event, but I'm not happy about it lol. Ulana does say, at the beginning of the final issue, that "[this is] a reality rewoven... ...unified from disparate timelines." And we have seen characters from the original Marvel 2099, the Timestorm event, the recent SM2099 & associated runs — which themselves included stuff from Marvel Knights 2099... so I guess this is just sorta the One 2099™ that is a a mashup of all 2099 that has come before it. Which is a neat concept in theory. Will have to further see how it's executed upon outside of an event context like this.
    Earth-2099, I believe she called it. Which isn't so bad, if a little on the nose, but yeah, probably better for the story that it's essentially a quasi-rebooted 2099 timeline. That said, given that the finale to the original Marvel 2099 lineup, Manifest Destiny, was later retconned as a divergent timeline to explain Peter David's newer Spider-Man 2099 series back in 2014-2017, it wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibility. Of course, Exodus Omega does seem to have some commonalities with Manifest Destiny, insofar as Miguel being the spearhead of a revolution that ultimately takes down the previously untouchable malevolent powers behind the megacorporation-dominated high-tech hellscape that is (or was) the future.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  11. #86
    Fantastic Member Man-Thing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Earth-2099, I believe she called it. Which isn't so bad, if a little on the nose, but yeah, probably better for the story that it's essentially a quasi-rebooted 2099 timeline. That said, given that the finale to the original Marvel 2099 lineup, Manifest Destiny, was later retconned as a divergent timeline to explain Peter David's newer Spider-Man 2099 series back in 2014-2017, it wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibility. Of course, Exodus Omega does seem to have some commonalities with Manifest Destiny, insofar as Miguel being the spearhead of a revolution that ultimately takes down the previously untouchable malevolent powers behind the megacorporation-dominated high-tech hellscape that is (or was) the future.
    The way I view it, we've had two major reboots.

    You had the original Marvel 2099 run with its unsatisfying ending after the mass exodus of writers, and then some later stuff that took place earlier in that timeline like the Captain Marvel story with Maestro.

    Then the Timestorm 2009-2099 thing happened, in which Lyla attempted to... idk, rewrite the future or something, resulting in a "new" 2099 that was mostly the same as the old one, but had some key differences. In effect, it's essentially Marvel 2099 up to just before the walkout, and ignoring any parts of continuity that future authors don't like, but also having the option to draw in stuff from Timestorm or other unrelated 2099 takes like the Marvel Knights stuff. In this case, the future authors are Slott and PAD. This is the version of 2099 is the one that Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time take place in, allowing PAD to pick up some plot threads he'd intended to do back in the original Spider 2099 run but didn't get the chance to. After that, we get Miguel jumping back into the middle of Superior and getting stuck in the present and having his whole "crap the future keeps getting accidentally mucked up" thing before getting it more or less back to "normal" by the end of SM2099 v3. It's this finalized state of the future that LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 draws from for its Nuevo York & 2099 characters representation.

    Then comes Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man 2099 storyline, which involves Miggy jumping back in time to prevent a catastrophe in the future, and staying in the past this time. He lives into this new timeline's 2099 as an old man, meets his younger alt-self, and plays a role in kickstarting the new age of heroes in this new 2099, because his continued presence in the past has had a knock-on effect that has changed things in subtle but important ways.. And it is in this new new version of 2099 that I guess Exodus takes place, drawing from the original Marvel 2099, Marvel Knights, Timestorm, the Slott and Spencer eras, and two scoops full of new stuff as well. Everything, basically.

    Like I said above, it'll be interesting to see how this is continued, what'll be acknowledged, what won't, who will return, what new characters show up, etc. I imagine at the end of the day the version of 2099 we see in Across the Spider-Verse will have a grander lasting effect on things than these last two minis have do/will do.

  12. #87
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    21,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    The way I view it, we've had two major reboots.

    You had the original Marvel 2099 run with its unsatisfying ending after the mass exodus of writers, and then some later stuff that took place earlier in that timeline like the Captain Marvel story with Maestro.

    Then the Timestorm 2009-2099 thing happened, in which Lyla attempted to... idk, rewrite the future or something, resulting in a "new" 2099 that was mostly the same as the old one, but had some key differences. In effect, it's essentially Marvel 2099 up to just before the walkout, and ignoring any parts of continuity that future authors don't like, but also having the option to draw in stuff from Timestorm or other unrelated 2099 takes like the Marvel Knights stuff. In this case, the future authors are Slott and PAD. This is the version of 2099 is the one that Shattered Dimensions and Edge of Time take place in, allowing PAD to pick up some plot threads he'd intended to do back in the original Spider 2099 run but didn't get the chance to. After that, we get Miguel jumping back into the middle of Superior and getting stuck in the present and having his whole "crap the future keeps getting accidentally mucked up" thing before getting it more or less back to "normal" by the end of SM2099 v3. It's this finalized state of the future that LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 draws from for its Nuevo York & 2099 characters representation.

    Then comes Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man 2099 storyline, which involves Miggy jumping back in time to prevent a catastrophe in the future, and staying in the past this time. He lives into this new timeline's 2099 as an old man, meets his younger alt-self, and plays a role in kickstarting the new age of heroes in this new 2099, because his continued presence in the past has had a knock-on effect that has changed things in subtle but important ways.. And it is in this new new version of 2099 that I guess Exodus takes place, drawing from the original Marvel 2099, Marvel Knights, Timestorm, the Slott and Spencer eras, and two scoops full of new stuff as well. Everything, basically.

    Like I said above, it'll be interesting to see how this is continued, what'll be acknowledged, what won't, who will return, what new characters show up, etc. I imagine at the end of the day the version of 2099 we see in Across the Spider-Verse will have a grander lasting effect on things than these last two minis have do/will do.
    Yeah, I don't see much reason to argue with your points, though I am definitely looking forward to how Across (and maybe Beyond) the Spider-Verse depicts 2099.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  13. #88
    Welcome Back Spidey Kurolegacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,047

    Default

    One thing I’m wondering, in one scene Miguel loses a finger and that remains consistent until the final part of the Osborn fight and beyond where he suddenly has that finger back. Is that just an artist error or did he somehow get that finger back?

  14. #89
    Fantastic Member Man-Thing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    One thing I’m wondering, in one scene Miguel loses a finger and that remains consistent until the final part of the Osborn fight and beyond where he suddenly has that finger back. Is that just an artist error or did he somehow get that finger back?
    The page after they're both submerged, and they come up and Norman has regrown his arm, you'll notice Miguel has also regrown his finger, but whoever did the colors colored the finger in blue like the rest of the gloved hand. Lot of artist error in this mini... The next time we get a clear shot of the fingers on that hand is the end of the fight and the suit seems to have repaired itself by that point. Which I'm willing to forgive as it's Fantastic Four unstable molecule fiber or somesuch.

  15. #90
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    21,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    One thing I’m wondering, in one scene Miguel loses a finger and that remains consistent until the final part of the Osborn fight and beyond where he suddenly has that finger back. Is that just an artist error or did he somehow get that finger back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    The page after they're both submerged, and they come up and Norman has regrown his arm, you'll notice Miguel has also regrown his finger, but whoever did the colors colored the finger in blue like the rest of the gloved hand. Lot of artist error in this mini... The next time we get a clear shot of the fingers on that hand is the end of the fight and the suit seems to have repaired itself by that point. Which I'm willing to forgive as it's Fantastic Four unstable molecule fiber or somesuch.
    I think it's the Celestial waterbody or something like that that was responsible, as it did seem capable of inducing accelerated regeneration in biological organisms. As for the suit, yeah, it is UMF, as per 2099 having a fair amount of superhero tech becoming mainstreamed for usage by the general public and being sold by the dominant megacorps.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •