Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Uhhh she said her series got cancelled last minute and the last issue included dialogue and art she'd never seen. Every month I see people complain and say "How exactly is this a Trial" and "why is this an event" when she didn't even choose the name Trial of Magneto or plan on writing an event book. That all being said... TOM is terrible and I do think a better writer could have elevated the material. It's not that hard to have empathy over the situation and also be critical of the writing.
    That is really fair, editorial/marketing put a name that have nothing to do with the story. At least it isn't her fault, so it is not fair to make a critic because of it.

But the writing is very up for critics, specially from Wanda fans.

Things get cut of comics all the time for many reasons. Sometime it simply wasn't a fit for the line

Uhhh she said her series got cancelled last minute and the last issue included dialogue and art she'd never seen. Every month I see people complain and say "How exactly is this a Trial" and "why is this an event" when she didn't even choose the name Trial of Magneto or plan on writing an event book. That all being said... TOM is terrible and I do think a better writer could have elevated the material. It's not that hard to have empathy over the situation and also be critical of the writing.

If Percy comes out and says that editorial messed with the back half of X-Force and changed the story I'm not suddenly going to like the series or the writing, but I'm also not gonna rag on him because clearly some things would be out of his control.
    So much of this. I mean, at this point is clear that ToM is a botched job, but Leah has always been a you like her or not type of writer, whose stronger stories have all been one shots, so a lot of people not liking this is not a shocker either. Maybe it would've been a better read as a smaller X-Factor arc, but it would've been likely mixed in reception like most of X-Factor was.

If Percy comes out and says that editorial messed with the back half of X-Force and changed the story I'm not suddenly going to like the series or the writing, but I'm also not gonna rag on him because clearly some things would be out of his control.
    I thought that was kind of the situation anyway, wasn't it? The feeling of treading water and filler issues through so much of the line being the result of Hickman's plans being undermined and writers having to make time until the relaunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I thought that was kind of the situation anyway, wasn't it? The feeling of treading water and filler issues through so much of the line being the result of Hickman's plans being undermined and writers having to make time until the relaunch.
    I don't wanna change the focus of this thread lol, but IMO it's one thing to drag out some plot threads vs. putting in a random surfing issue because you felt like it. That was some straight up disrespect to my wallet and until I hear that editorial made him put stuff like that in, my opinion is somewhat soured.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 12-08-2021 at 09:31 AM.

I don't wanna change the focus of this thread lol, but IMO it's one thing to drag out some plot threads vs. putting in a random surfing issue because you felt like it. That was some straight up disrespect to my wallet and until I hear that editorial made him put stuff like that in my opinion is somewhat soured.
    LOL, fair enough! I dropped X-Force after issue 2, and most of the complaints I'd heard about it lately had been along the lines of "Just get on with it!'

I don't wanna change the focus of this thread lol, but IMO it's one thing to drag out some plot threads vs. putting in a random surfing issue because you felt like it. That was some straight up disrespect to my wallet and until I hear that editorial made him put stuff like that in my opinion is somewhat soured.
    You won't ever read anything about editorial, blacklist on comics is very real. Looking into x-books seems like majority is treading water. Hellions and Sword are ending, so the plot moves foward very well

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Well gee wiz, this thread's a real bummer.

The polarizing opinions of Leah's writing, paired with reactive counter comments comparing talent is proof positive that mileage varies from reader to reader and perhaps people should simply grant more grace to both the creatives and their fans because not every piece of Marvel content (X or otherwise) is going to appeal to every reader and that's perfectly fine.
    Additionally, these creatives are people churning out content at fever pitch speeds, and sometimes it slaps and sometimes it flops. I really enjoyed the X-Men Gold Annual, her What If one shots, and I fell problematically in love with X-Factor, but X-tremists didn't land the same for me as it did for others. I thought Bunn's Magneto stuff was a good time, but I didn't really jive with his subsequent Uncanny run. Bendis, Gillen, Ewing, Carey -- all big league rock star talents but some stories just don't grip my hair every time, y'know?
    Folks act like they're contractually obligated by Marvel to read Leah's work despite their disapproval of her bibliography. Free yourself of these illusory chains, babes. Where there's a will there is a way, and other self actualizing platitudes. Just save your time and save your mon-- oh who am I kidding. People are just gonna pirate and complain about the quality of the content they feel irrationally entitled to despite side stepping any monetary investment. The impulse to rage is far too strong.

Eat a sandwich. Masturbate. Your lil' demon needs attention stat.
    This is... 100% spot on!

I'm old fashioned in that I still buy my weekly floppies from the LCS. I don't pirate my comics and I never will. It's darkly hilarious to me that there are folks out there who won't pay for the books but feel perfectly OK coming on here and bitching about the quality of them. The hypocrisy is palpable.

Sounds like you're a mature adult with critical thinking skills. A minority on these boards, apparently.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.