Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Default Who Do You Have High Hopes For In The New Era and who Are You Worried About

As most of us know December sees the end of most of our current X-Storylines (as well as a couple of books) BUT it looks like it will be March or April before we learn the fate of some of our favorite characters.

Now we know that Wolverine will be a major focus, and Storm and Emma always rise to the top, but what about the others?

I'm thrilled to see Tempo finally getting her due, and that Maddie will be back for better or worse, and Harry Leland's return was a delightful surprise; but am concerned for the likes of John Greycrow, Havok, Rachel...

Sow what are your hopes/concerns for 2022?
    My flag is bacon.

I hope we get some more development into Krakoa's culture and make-up. I've been dying for a Dazzler book that delves into Krakoa's developing music scene, or a book that introduces mutant authors and artists. We already have language, traditions, politics, organizations and business. Let's develop the arts a little more. Give me Lila, develop Colossus' art. Wind Dancer has Mojoworld, I want that mined for all it's worth. And while we're on the subject, can we get more development for Arrako's ring?

My fears are the books backsliding into focusing too much on big names or sticking to regurgitating the same story beats. It makes the world seem so much smaller, and that's the antithesis to the expansive feeling of the Krakoa era.

Also, Hellion.
    Last edited by Rift; 12-06-2021 at 11:09 AM.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    My fears are the books backsliding into focusing too much on big names or sticking to regurgitating the same story beats. It makes the world seem so much smaller, and that's the antithesis to the expansive feeling of the Krakoa era.
    And other than a handful of exceptions (most of which are there to fill space) that never changed at all, and it's STILL the same big names drawing the focus.

As far as who I'm personally worried about, the New X-Men will continue to slide further into the irrelevancy of Generic Teen Wallpaper now that Krakoa has wiped out the last vestiges of what defined their generation and set them apart from the previous ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    And other than a handful of exceptions (most of which are there to fill space) that never changed at all, and it's STILL the same big names drawing the focus.

As far as who I'm personally worried about, the New X-Men will continue to slide further into the irrelevancy of Generic Teen Wallpaper now that Krakoa has wiped out the last vestiges of what defined their generation and set them apart from the previous ones.
    I think we were doing fairly well, honestly. Or at least, not as bad as it could be. Hellions is the obvious white sheep, but X-Factor had a good cast, S.W.O.R.D. had quite a few small names, Wind Dancer finally got use after 15 years, Way of X developed DJ and will have Blindfold focus, and X-Corp redeemed Trinary in my eyes. Big names still get used, but it's not a big-name circlejerk.

Agreed that the Academy X kids are still being screwed over, though. As I mentioned before, one of Surge's notable appearances was her arm appearing in one panel of a Voices book.
    Last edited by Rift; 12-06-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

baumblume

pietro on x faktor

Astonishing Member

High Hopes:

- Tempo.
    Could break out big finaly being on a hero team proper.

Worries:

- Nightcrawler.
    I'm not sure Spurrier really "gets" him. He seems to get Legion, but the rest of his handling of X-men characters has been a mixed bag in my opinion. I know he is a good writer and have enjoyed his indie work (The Spire), but like many such writers he seems to struggle on the X-men when not allowed to stay in the bubble of a relative underdeloped stand alone character.

His writing on Nightcrawler feels off to me and like he seemingly simplifies of streamlines his character to suit a message and development that does not fit his established character. However this had been a problem with Nightcrawler in the current status quo in general if you ask me.

- Beast.
    I don't think i need to elaborate. The downward spiral continues and i keep knowing why i dislike Morrison's run.

- Marrow.
    This character is 20 years behind in redemption or at least making proper amendments for her past crimes (which got worse since Weapon X), not to forget having a proper set of goals and established moral values in general.
    She can't just be squeezed into a hero team and treated like she can fit in just fine, while acting as crazed or amoral without it being shown as something she needs to handle better and overcome. But at the same time most of her previous development was being an X-men, which also means she can't fit into a proper villain role anymore either.

Meanwhile her apperances during those two decades just bounced her back and forth from status to status with no explanation of how she got there, or clear indicator of what she is supposed to be like anymore.

Which makes me worried how some of the current writers might handle her, given these i'm thinking of have shown a dubious understanding of super heros, their history, characterization and moral values. But it's several of them who seemingly have an interest in using her or have used her allready.

So far she she got of easy with her appearances in Marauders, Woman of Marvel and Curse of Man-Thing, but i worry about Secret X-men and what might come in the next line of titles if someone will pick her up.

- Rogue:
    So far she has been mostly filler in Excalibur and X-men, but given the calibre of the current writers there is a 50/50 chance a proper story with her as focus might end up detrimental.

- Any of the Hellions.
    With Zeb Wells seemingly gone, they might end up under less capable writers who want to profit from his work on them, without having nearly the same quality in writing talent.

Well, looks like Northstar may be moving under Duggan's pen in the coming year. Duggan's been uneven lately, but not noticeably moreso than any other writer on the line. He's not terribly nuanced in a lot of his takes, though, so not sure about him getting his hands on my problematic fave.

I'm invested in Daken and Aurora's relationship to a ridiculous degree after X-Factor, but Orlando's a fave, so no worries there.

I'm hoping Williams gets to take Prodigy and Eyeboy to whatever book she gets next; I'd hate to have them fall into limbo.

Nightcrawler I'm a little concerned about. I typically like Spurrier's work, but Way of X was rough. Legion feels like the main point of interest, and I don't like the thought of Kurt being David's sidekick.

I can't say I'm worried about Bishop because they haven't done anything with him that I would be concerned about him losing. They made him a Captain and then Great Captain but he really hasn't done anything.

I would say I'd be worried about Synch because he finally made it to the X-Men but with changes coming, I think he's going back to whatever limbo he's been in.

Astonishing Member

What I have high hopes for: Krakoa deposes this oligarchic, rice and open to corruption and nepotism Quiet Council and installs an actual government in its place.

Character wise I’d like a focus on less big name mutants and also more foreign mutants, considering that if mutants have the same population trends as the rest of the world Krakoa should have a large crowd of mutants from other continents who weren’t born in America. I’d like a closer look at Krakoan society besides eternal beach party. There’s a lot about this new nation that wasn’t developed, and even what was could use a closer look. Heck, a book about recently arrived mutants trying to adjust to Krakoan society alone could be an interesting story. That’s been one of my biggest issues with the current run, it felt like the nation, culture, etc, was set up in a ridiculously short amount of time.

Astonishing Member

I never have any hope so im never disappointed.

Hopes

We get more of a focus on character beats. Hickman may have had interesting plots, but a lot of his stories lacked the emotional character beats I like in my X-Books. Hopefully the new books fill that void.

Marvel keep up with the characterisation of Betsy. Excalibur might have not been super popular on this board (or good at handling team dynamics) , but it's done wonders merging the 80's Marvel UK Character with modern day Betsy. It helps I love all the old Alan Moore Captain Britain stuff.

We get pleasantly suprised by a wild strange team line-up. How has a team with Nanny & Orphan-Maker been as good as Hellions?

Rockslide remerges in Otherworld and has been alive this whole time.

Worries

Nightcrawler gets stuck as the awful pious religious characterisation that Spurrier used in Way of X in his Legionnaires title.

Duggan keeps writing Laura as female Logan and she gets stuck in a boring romance with Synch.

The Academy X Kids get left out again or poorly characterised when they do show up. I'm a big fan of Ayala/Reis New Mutants but Anole has been written so poorly there for example.

Marvel keep queerbaiting us with Kate/Rachel/Illyana and/or Dani/Xian/Rahne. Just let these sapphics kiss already.

I’m worried about Rogue. She needs some love and Duggan doesn’t seem to be the one to give it so far.

The ones I grew up with, the90’s x-men, seems to be in a slump. Let’s hope for love towards Bishop, Jubilee and Gambit.

Poor Laura needs to get her personality back. Perhaps then Duggan or someone might try to show us why she and Everett make a good couple. Might make me like Synch again. I miss the whole generation X team. Though voices Jono and Jubilee was good.

I have other characters that I like but these are big characters that should be used. Not just as wallpaper to sell.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I never have any hope so im never disappointed.
    This is the proper attitude, imo. And that's where I am. Been burned too often to bother with hopes & excitement.

I'm looking forward to the writers focusing on Jean's development and evolution. The signs and feedback from creators, both in the books and on Twitter, seem to point to a change of uniform and perhaps direction for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I think we were doing fairly well, honestly. Or at least, not as bad as it could be. Hellions is the obvious white sheep, but X-Factor had a good cast, S.W.O.R.D. had quite a few small names, Wind Dancer finally got use after 15 years, Way of X developed DJ and will have Blindfold focus, and X-Corp redeemed Trinary in my eyes. Big names still get used, but it's not a big-name circlejerk.
    I'm glad you wrote this. While we haven't seen the amount of development we might want to for certain characters it is important to point out the efforts made. Otherwise we're just whining to the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    - Beast. I don't think i need to elaborate. The downward spiral continues and i keep knowing why i dislike Morrison's run.
    At this point they should just have Beast take a full turn into villain territory. Make him a traitor, an enemy of Krakoa or something.

I miss old-school "best friends with Wonder Man" Beast but without some time travel stuff I don't think we're getting him back. Though it would be darkly hilarious if Scott now went back in time and grabbed young Beast and company to show him "just how far he's fallen". Hank is an irredeemable hypocrite at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Character wise I’d like a focus on less big name mutants and also more foreign mutants, considering that if mutants have the same population trends as the rest of the world Krakoa should have a large crowd of mutants from other continents who weren’t born in America. I’d like a closer look at Krakoan society besides eternal beach party. There’s a lot about this new nation that wasn’t developed, and even what was could use a closer look. Heck, a book about recently arrived mutants trying to adjust to Krakoan society alone could be an interesting story. That’s been one of my biggest issues with the current run, it felt like the nation, culture, etc, was set up in a ridiculously short amount of time.
    I agree with all this 100%. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I'm looking forward to the writers focusing on Jean's development and evolution. The signs and feedback from creators, both in the books and on Twitter, seem to point to a change of uniform and perhaps direction for her.
    I hope Jean gets some love too, she certainly deserves much better treatment.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.