Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    X-Men Red, X-Men Blue, X-Men Gold, X-Men Green.. starting to sound very Power Ranger-y and confusing. It was better when it was just Uncanny X-Men and X-Men.
    I don't know why people name this titles like that. With colors It's sounds blah... Immortal I understand but Red eh....

In this context it makes sense though. I mean, they are based on the red planet after all.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I don't know why people name this titles like that. With colors It's sounds blah... Immortal I understand but Red eh....
    I don't know how long you've been reading comics but...

If I'm not mistaken, the initial X-Men: Blue/Gold teams were named after the X-Men uniform colours...so it did make sense.
    Just as DoX X-Men:Red makes sense because it's most likely centred around Planet Arakko (formerly the Red Planet, Mars)
    There's never been an X-Men:Green book...at least not to my knowledge.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I think that’s what the first arc of the X-men Infinity comic was called on Marvel Unlimited. So X-men Green was never a book per se, rather just an acid trip of a story arc that ran in digital format only.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Ah! I stand informed.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

I've been getting REALLY excited about all the possibilities inherent in just a circuit of Storm, Magneto and Iceman.

See, magnetic fields and electricity are often considered two sides of the same coin - its why there's slight overlap in Storm and Magneto's abilities with her able to manipulate magnetic fields to some degree and him able to produce and affect electricity as an offset of his electromagnetic shielding.

But then throw in Bobby's abilities to reach absolute zero.....

And you get natural, reliable, superconductivity.

Superconductivity is the state in which materials can conduct electricity without losing ANY of its charge. There's no diminishing return. Its like the holy grail of conductivity, because it can apply to so many things. For instance, it opens up the door to huge leaps in computing technology, ideas like quantum computers, because how much data can be stored and transferred on machinery is ENTIRELY regulated by how COLD you can keep that machinery. Its why fans are so essential to computers, and overheating slows them down and lessens their performance.

Similarly, a superconductor can levitate above a permanent magnet, without ever dropping. This is where the dual sides of electricity and magnetic fields come in. Enough electricity produces a magnetic field. Normally, unless you're superpowered like Magneto and are generating the field yourself constantly, you can't truly levitate things or at least not for long, because gradually the resistance in the material that's floating and the area around it will erode the electrical charge....and as the electrical charge fades, so too does the magnetic field....and the levitation effect ceases. But again....the erosion of the electrical charge is due to ambient TEMPERATURE. In essence, the particles making up the electric current are not just directed through whatever is conducting them, they're also simultaneously being attracted by the energy of the molecules around the conductor as well, drawing more and more of them away according to the law of diminishing returns.....as the current loses more of its particles to the ambient particles around it, there's less driving the current further forward while there's more energy to the particles around the conductor making them even MORE effective at drawing away the particles that are left, until the current eventually ceases.

But with a superconductor....or with the ability to drop any area to absolute zero and in effect turn ANYTHING into a superconductor.....that doesn't happen. Because that way you can isolate the current and cut it off completely from being drawn away by the movement of nearby particles....because absolute zero drops the kinetic energy and momentum of those nearby particles to nothing. Meaning there's no movement TO draw away any of the current's particles....and it can flow indefinitely. Which in turn creates a constant, never-decreasing magnetic field.

Used in concert, Magneto, Storm and Iceman's powers are the IDEAL circuit for a sci-fi title, because they're not just elemental....they're literally everything you need for a technological revolution. They could just by their PRESENCE enable feats of computational engineering no one else could duplicate, at least not as easily as they could. They could levitate entire cities like anti-grav technology, and unlike how Magneto's done stuff like that with metallic structures, they could do it with structures of ANY material. The physics nerd in me is salivating at the thought of what the three of them could do with supercolliders or in spaceship launches. Not to mention the theoretical possibilities with wormholes and singularities.....

Gah, please let Ewing have thought of this when he chose his cast for this title, because the possibilities inherent in just the three of them alone are just too good.