Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Catwoman #39 Preview

Catwoman #39 Preview (Uncolored/Unlettered)
    Writer: Tini Howard
    Artist: Nico Leon

Why does that cover make her look more like a pole dancer than a master cat burglar?
    Those heels . . . seriously?!?

EIKO?! EIKO IS BACK! Talk about characters I thought I'd never see again! Damn.

I hope Howard can combine the best of Ram V's and Valentine's run to tell some satisfying Catwoman stories.

The concept art looks good too. And I still like that cover a lot.

Astonishing Member

Seeing Eiko Hasigawa back is wonderful. The Batman Eternal angle for Catwoman was a really nice detour. I don't give much stock specifically to the Rex Calabrese paternity thing, but the rest of the story was very well done, and I suppose it'd be odd for Selina to running as the Lion if she didn't have some connection. Eiko's enforcers have a cool look ... and the one on the left definitely looks like Cheshire falling in with a new crowd. She's a hired killer with League ties so it's not that out of the blue, though I'd still be curious if there's any like cross-water drama between the decidedly Japanese yakuza of the Hasigawas and a Vietnamese assassin. But Assassin League assassins seem pretty global and not caught up in petty ethnic rivalries, so perhaps not even a point of melodrama anybody thinks to use - better still if it's just more good usage of Cheshire to further the Lian Harper apprenticeship story beats ... and I dunno, draw Roy and the Arrow-Family into the Shadow War down the line?

Mostly I'm stoked to see Catwoman coming up against other thieves who aren't necessarily violent killers. Thiefy heisty stories are awesome and she's the queen of thieves, I feel like that whole niche is almost never used for fun stories.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

When Howard talked about focusing on Catwoman's bisexuality, I didn't expect it to mean Eiko would come back, but it was literally introduced with her so...and maybe a bisexual love triangle between Selina, Eiko, and Valmont?
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Why does that cover make her look more like a pole dancer than a master cat burglar?
    I mean, she's established to have taken pole-dancing classes .

Also I think the first issue involves strippers. Or maybe its those catgirls in the preview.

Extraordinary Member

Good old Black Mask. I'm glad he's not wearing bondage gear anymore .

Extraordinary Member

Has lian been seen recently?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Has lian been seen recently?
    Yes, was appearing consistently as a minor supporting character in the Ram V run, last seen in #37 which came out 2 weeks ago.

New interview with lettered and colored pages.

I'm a bit confused that Selina wants to "become the undisputed Queen of Gotham" when she just failed her gig as Queen of Alley Town and admitted as much but okay.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    They said in the earliest interview that she's infiltrating a rich people sexy club or something like that
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 12-24-2021 at 01:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Catwoman #39 Preview
    Writer: Tini Howard
    Artist: Nico Leon

Move over Bunny Girls, here come Cat Girls .

I think the only time I've seen female Yakuza bosses is in American productions.

Some thinly-veiled comments on Eiko being a lesbian from her fellow crime bosses.

I...don't think we needed a blurb about a "gentlemen" comment being made at a table with one woman?

Neon poledancing Catwoman .

Eiko in a kimono and bikini...and the latter after Selina takes a dip. Okay then .

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Move over Bunny Girls, here come Cat Girls .

I think the only time I've seen female Yakuza bosses is in American productions.

Some thinly-veiled comments on Eiko being a lesbian from her fellow crime bosses.

I...don't think we needed a blurb about a "gentlemen" comment being made at a table with one woman?

Neon poledancing Catwoman .

Eiko in a kimono and bikini...and the latter after Selina takes a dip. Okay then .
    I'm glad to see Eiko again, though this is NOT Valentine quality writing. It's not bad, but after Ram V and Valentine, it just feels pretty slapdash and snide.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'm glad to see Eiko again, though this is NOT Valentine quality writing. It's not bad, but after Ram V and Valentine, it just feels pretty slapdash and snide.
    Well, it feels more lively and flashy than Valentine which I think fits a more traditional Catwoman run.