Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Monkey Prince #2 Preview

Monkey Prince #2 Preview
    Writer: Gene Luen Yang
    Artist: Bernard Chang

I'm looking forward to it.

I love how Damian thinks this is a Professor Pyg plot .

While this series doesn't interest me enough to collect monthly, I would be down for the trade if the series gets positive word of mouth.

What does everyone think of issue #1 and #2?

I was actually looking forward to see how Yang wrote Damian, but based on the preview, that's not Damian. Damian is a petulant character, but not like that. I've seen Damian written as quite childish, but in those instances he at least acts childish in a Damian way. Here, he could be any other kid.

Though, I did like him bringing up Professor Pyg.

It seems like DC is making a good effort to ensure this character catches on. They put Batman and Robin in the first story arc and have them right there on the cover of issue 2.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Atta boy!kick that punk and batman's ass monkey prince body.I hate batman too.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-26-2022 at 12:15 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Go Monkey Prince!!

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    I was actually looking forward to see how Yang wrote Damian, but based on the preview, that's not Damian. Damian is a petulant character, but not like that. I've seen Damian written as quite childish, but in those instances he at least acts childish in a Damian way. Here, he could be any other kid.

Damian's voice feels a little off, but I think it still kind of sounds like him? At least enough to where I can buy it.

But he could be mistaken for a generic Robin.
    I thought you were fine with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Go Monkey Prince!!
    The only strong counterpoint to fans who love Batman is fans who love seeing Batman get beat up .

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It seems like DC is making a good effort to ensure this character catches on. They put Batman and Robin in the first story arc and have them right there on the cover of issue 2.
    I mean, it worked. It got me to pick up a book I would've otherwise skipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Damian's voice feels a little off, but I think it still kind of sounds like him? At least enough to where I can buy it.

But he could be mistaken for a generic Robin.
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He could be a lot more in-character and less generic further into the issue. It's just that what he says isn't how I think he would say them, if at all.
    Last edited by garazza; 02-26-2022 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    While this series doesn't interest me enough to collect monthly, I would be down for the trade if the series gets positive word of mouth.

What does everyone think of issue #1 and #2?
    Issue 1 was a fun first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post

It works for a younger Damian than who he is currently.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-26-2022 at 10:16 AM.

I thought you were fine with him.
    He picks on people's weaknesses.. Ain't fine with me.Also,he is grumpy.Generally,i am ok if he just has more personality.I like dick grayson and jason todd more though.

He picks on people's weaknesses.. Ain't fine with me.Also,he is grumpy.Generally,i am ok if he just has more personality.I like dick grayson and jason todd more though.
    I mean, depending on the context, it's probably perfectly justified unless it's him just being a jerk.

I mean, depending on the context, it's probably perfectly justified unless it's him just being a jerk.
    He has made a hobby of it.Rather than build himself up.It's not like he lacks capacity or potential.

He has made a hobby of it.Rather than build himself up.It's not like he lacks capacity or potential.
    I don't think most people would mind if he uses Two-Face's weakness for flipping a coin against him if it means subduing him. Or cheating to beat Lady Shiva in a fight if it means stopping her from killing someone because beating her in a straight up fight would be more of a risk.