Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

This is devastating to hear. Mr. Perez’s career and talents are legendary. From Avengers in the late 70s and late 90s, New Teen Titans, Wonder Woman, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinity Gauntlet and more. I’ll keep him and his family in my prayers. His work has meant so much to myself and millions of others.

spoilers:

end of spoilers

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

He had a career many dreams about or wish they could've had.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Been a fan of his since the late '70s, so to say this news disturbs me is an understatement.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

This is really sad news to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    I suggest people fill this thread with as much of his beautiful art as we can.

Peace

One of the greatest frustrations of my life as a comics fan was never seeing THIS story complete (even if we got another excelent one a couple of decades later)

Peace

I definitely agree with Mitch Gerads.

“The silver lining here is we have time to let him know that he is the absolute GOAT.“

Truly saddened by this.
    He is an icon and one of the powerhouses of the Bronze Age transition into the Modern Age.
    In the '80s Perez and Byrne were the two artists that defined great comic art for me.

From my collection, one of my most cherished items:
    New Teen Titans #1 which I got signed by Wolfman and then Perez a few years later.

We love you, George!
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Will death finally bring DC and Marvel together?:

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-dc-reprin...-george-perez/
    Last edited by superduperman; 12-09-2021 at 05:08 PM.
    Assassinate Putin!

Amazing Member

I am a bit gutted by this... George Perez (with Marv Wolfman) kept me reading comic books when I was at that age that I was either going to keep with the hobby... Or move onto other things. It was 1980, and I was 14... I had been "reading" comics basically since before I could read (my brother and I would look at the pages of comics our cousins had and make up stories to go with the pictures). We were a DC family for the most part (in terms of comics we followed) but frankly, by 1980, they weren't holding my interest as they had previously... But one of the books we did regularly pick up was DC Comics Presents. And then #26 of that comic came out...

And I was hooked again (and no, it wasn't the Superman-Green Lantern main story that did it).

The New Teen Titans is my favourite comic book series ever... And a large part of that was the amazing artwork that went into it.

The fact that the bodies actually looked like human bodies would, the facial expressions (and the fact that each face looked like a different face from everyone else's)

Case in point:

dick-quits-being-robin.jpg
    Every single character had their own face, and it was different from everyone else, and it was consistent... No "same face" for Mr. Perez...

...The detail in the backgrounds (which even he knew would drive his inkers crazy)...

IMG_0443.jpg

Even the action sequences would have that much detail (and more)... It was crazy (in the best way possible).

The obvious care that went into all that... It sort of blew my mind that anyone could draw that much, with that much detail, every month...

(Don't get me wrong, that were pencillers in the 70's that I really liked... Dillin, Aparo, Adams... several others... But none compared to Mr. Perez for me)

Then you would hear about what a super nice person he is, and it made everything about him even better. When he also started writing (though he had been a co-plotter with Mr. Wolfman for years), you could just see the amazing amount of research he must have done to get even the small details right (his Wonder Woman and greek mythology are obviously right up there with that).

Crisis on Infinite Earths... JLA/Avengers... He's probably drawn more characters from the Big Two then anyone ever...

If Mr. Perez drew it... I bought it (I even bought Sachs and Violens... though really not my type of comic book... Just because Mr. Perez drew it).

This news, even though I have never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Perez... Has had me tearing up a few times in the last couple of days... I know he has been retired for the last couple of years, due to problems with his eye-sight... But deep down, I think I thought he would have one last story to draw in him...

So, yes... This actually hurts...

Funny enough, even though my brothers and I were DC people, my first exposure to Mr. Perez's work, even though I didn't realize it until years later, was from a Marvel comic one of my cousins had...

From Fantastic Four #186, from 1977 - Salem's Seven:

Salem%27s_Seven_%28Earth-616%29_from_Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_186_0001.jpg

All my best, Mr. Perez... I hope your remaining days are filled with as much love and happiness as possible.

Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    This is devastating to hear. Mr. Perez’s career and talents are legendary. From Avengers in the late 70s and late 90s, New Teen Titans, Wonder Woman, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinity Gauntlet and more. I’ll keep him and his family in my prayers. His work has meant so much to myself and millions of others.

[spoil]

Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. A true legend of his craft.