Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default New Superman Group Senior Editor

Paul Kaminski is the new Senior Editor in charge of the Superman group. He was previously an editor in the Batman group.

Can’t view the tweet, I’m assuming his account is private? Judging by the replies while he may have been a Batman editor he seems to be a huge Superman fan. Cool, Bat-Editorial seems to be the most competent at DC, so I hope he does a good job running the Superbooks.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Oh great, a new editor almost every year.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 12-07-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Can’t view the tweet, I’m assuming his account is private? Judging by the replies while he may have been a Batman editor he seems to be a huge Superman fan. Cool, Bat-Editorial seems to be the most competent at DC, so I hope he does a good job running the Superbooks.
    Yea, his account is private.

I feel like creators/editors being fans of a property they're working on is overrated - doesn't necessarily correlate with competence.

Kaminsi edited Yang's run on Batman/Superman as that book falls under the bat office.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Yea, his account is private.

I feel like creators/editors being fans of a property they're working on is overrated - doesn't necessarily correlate with competence.

Kaminsi edited Yang's run on Batman/Superman as that book falls under the bat office.
    With Superman have we had much luck with people working on him that don’t love him? Can’t think of many great stories we’ve gotten where the creator didn’t have some affection for him. Azz’s work on Luthor is the only “big” exception I can think of. Yang’s B/S run was great so that’s promising at least. Curious what kind of Superman projects Kaminski will greenlit compare to what Jaime Rich did, hopefully Kon gets something given it seems Kaminski was wearing a 90s Superboy outfit in a pic he posted
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Bat-Line's been relatively stable/okay even when unpopular, so I figure this might not be a bad change for the line.

Extraordinary Member

Looks like prior to being in the bat office Kaminsi was in the Superman office and has worked on quite a few Superbooks:

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:.../Editor?from=A
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:.../Editor?from=S
    Last edited by Hypo; 12-07-2021 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Looks like prior to being in the bat office Kaminsi was in the Superman book and has worked on quite a few Superbooks:

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:.../Editor?from=A
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Category:.../Editor?from=S
    Huh, he worked on Super Sons, the latter half of Superman Rebirth, and all of Action Comics Rebirth up until AC 1000. Neat. Maybe he can bring back some of that energy from the Rebirth era and maybe even de-age Jon.

Oomph that’s not good. Back half of Tomasi’s Superman run was terrible, ditto for Jurgens (whose run overall was mediocre except for the very last time travel arc which was awful).

Edit: Looking through his bibliography he’s done a lot of bad books but also done some I’ve loved. Recently he worked on that Gotham Villains One Shot which PKJ contributed to, so hopefully they have a good working relationship at least. Guess I’ll put him in the “mixed” category and wait to see how he does. Jaime Rich really managed to get the Superbooks working again, so hopefully Kaminski doesn’t botch the line.
    Last edited by Vordan; 12-07-2021 at 06:56 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Does this mean that Superman gets 10 books the way Batman does?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Huh, he worked on Super Sons, the latter half of Superman Rebirth, and all of Action Comics Rebirth up until AC 1000. Neat. Maybe he can bring back some of that energy from the Rebirth era and maybe even de-age Jon.
    Just as soon as Sisyphus pushes that bolder up that hill.

Oomph that’s not good. Back half of Tomasi’s Superman run was terrible, ditto for Jurgens (whose run overall was mediocre except for the very last time travel arc which was awful).
    Not every run has to blow off the doors and can just be simple and "down-to-earth" so to speak (just look at how absurd to the main Batman book has been getting until Williamson), but that's just me. The back half of Superman Rebirth wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but to me it was simply allowing the status quo set up in the front half to just exist and be enjoyed.

It's been awhile for Superman to have a grand cosmic story, so PKJ's Warworld stuff is well-earned and long-awaited from what have been pretty moderate Superman stories (but that's not necessarily a bad thing, like I said), but Clark's gotta come back eventually. On the other hand, SSoK has failed to live up the alleged hype and needs to be canned as soon as possible. What should follow it after its inevitable demise and Clark's return to Earth is now up to Kaminski.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Just as soon as Sisyphus pushes that bolder up that hill.
    I'm nothing if not stubborn.
    Last edited by garazza; 12-07-2021 at 07:04 PM.

It was boring man, and I say that as someone who defended it at the time. We went like 4 months where nothing happened storywise post-Black Dawn. Different strokes for different folks and all, but I’ve never heard anyone claim the field trip to D.C. was their favorite part of the run. Front half is where all the major stuff people liked was at.

I admire you sticking to your guns even if I think it’s clouding your analysis of SSOKE’s success. Book was #6 in the rankings last month, clearly it did well. Doubt Kaminski will be changing the direction of the line, but I would begrudgingly accept Jon getting deaged and returning to being boring if it meant Kenan took his spot as the Superman replacement for DC to push (since Kaminski edited Yang’s NSM run which is the largest point in his favor). Hope Kenan gets a book now that Kaminski is in charge, he seems to like working with Yang.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Does this mean that Superman gets 10 books the way Batman does?
    Hopefully it means Yang will be back on a Superbook given he and Kaminski have worked together pretty consistently at DC.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

They seem to have just aged up Lor-Zod in Suicide Squad, and they seem to be totally fine with Jon being the older one between him an Damian. It seems unrelated, but clearly Lor-Zod was made to be Jon's counterpart, so aging him up reads like a fairly clear sign that they're drawing their line in the sand with Jon and he's staying the age he's at.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

It was boring man, and I say that as someone who defended it at the time. We went like 4 months where nothing happened storywise post-Black Dawn. Different strokes for different folks and all, but I’ve never heard anyone claim the field trip to D.C. was their favorite part of the run. Front half is where all the major stuff people liked was at.
    Runs are allowed to have duds. It worked for what it was, but I can understand people finding it too unnecessarily preachy.

I admire you sticking to your guns even if I think it’s clouding your analysis of SSOKE’s success. Book was #6 in the rankings last month, clearly it did well. Doubt Kaminski will be changing the direction of the line, but I would begrudgingly accept Jon getting deaged and returning to being boring if it meant Kenan took his spot as the Superman replacement for DC to push (since Kaminski edited Yang’s NSM run which is the largest point in his favor). Hope Kenan gets a book now that Kaminski is in charge, he seems to like working with Yang.
    Every comic book shop got a call that more or less said "Do you have the gay issue?" That's not success, that's speculation. Those people aren't going to call back for issue 6.

Also, Jon was never boring, he was just new and undefined, which wouldn't have been a problem if he was never aged up and just allowed to be a kid and naturally develop as a character. If we were in the good timeline, Jon's Superboy solo book would be at issue 5 with an annual. And it's not too late to do that (it's never too late). It wouldn't be topping the charts or anything, but it never should be expected to.

Tbh, I'd rather Kara be elevated to the Superman spot as Earth's defender, but Kenan is just as deserving of that push. Kenan would inject that "new" energy back into the Superbooks that Jon did during his introduction.
    Last edited by garazza; 12-07-2021 at 08:13 PM.