Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

You know...I forgot all about Sarah cheating on Jordan when she was away at camp and both her parents blowing it off...

I'm wondering if it will be up to the boys to try to rescue their father. I'm sure that Steel isn't too public yet, I'm curious to know how John is doing.

Thoughts on #SupermanAndLois s2e6 "Tried And True". Spoilers follow ...

1. Dug the opening flashback montage of Bizzaro on his world. The musical accompaniment to the kinda trippy visuals was pretty cool, but I still have questions.

Was that world's Clark always the only one there with the chalk-white Bizarro skin and glowing eyes? Or did he start "normal" and get changed to become that way? And he deliberately himself into that Doomsday containment suit to traverse the two universes?

2. Second straight SAL episode with neither John Henry Irons nor Natalie Irons. And their combined absence is definitely felt here, and it's for the worse. They bring elements to the show that aren't replaceable.

Especially considering who else got to eat that extra screentime as a result is ...

3. Can this show please pull a collective Poochie on the entire Lang/Cushing/Cortez family?

Say they died on their way back to their home planet or have them all just move away to start a new life in Bludhaven or somewhere. I don't care for any of the four members of that family and now resent them for taking time away from my more favorite characters. Not invested at all.

4. The Lane family reunion went from tense beginning to joyful dinner all the way back to tense ending.

I really liked seeing Lucy interact with literally anyone other than Lois. It was weird how much of a Fun Aunty she could be when she wasn't harboring a grudge. Like she's not just a brainwashed cult flower.

5. Getting a little tired of seeing only Domestic Lois and not nearly enough of Professional Lois.

Feels like too often Elizabeth Tulloch gets relegated to being someone's daughter, sister, wife, or mother. She needs way more balance.

I mean, Domestic Clark still gets to be Superman every episode. Hopefully going forward, Lois gets to remind everyone who The World's Greatest Journalist actually is on a regular basis.

6. Jonathan continues to sink deeper with no end in sight. Once the perfect son, now the problem child as the role reversal between the brothers gets more dramatic.

I did like that Jon felt his greatest football game ever felt "fake". Metahumans really shouldn't compete against regular humans in sports. Calls to mind why I hated it when writer/artist John Byrne remade high school Clark into a stud quarterback who had no idea he was an alien until he was 18 in the comix. Glad that's long since been retconned.

7. Jordan completely did vanquish his established anxiety disorder, eh? Really feels like something he should be managing it (and not always successfully) instead of being "cured" of it.

Problem-Free Golden Boy Jordan is kinda not all that intriguing, and the implication that his emerging superpowers were the answer to his mental difficulties is tone-deaf at best.

8. Lt. Gen. Anderson is shaping up to be exactly the kind of antagonist the Superman mythos have always needed but never quite had: the high-ranking paranoid government patriot. Actually, they had this with Sam Lane in the comix, but imo that was never a good fit.

With Anderson, I can get his side of it: He got chewed out by his commanding officer (missed her name) in front of his subordinate, then got chewed out (and slapped) by the grieving mother of his slain soldier in front of Superman, and on top of all that, to find out that Supes already secretly had the killer Bizarro in his custody?

Well, that's just a very bad day for the general.

9. Clark can brawl.

One frequent knock on Superman from his haters is that he is all powers, but no skills That's always been false, but when it comes to fighting, Clark is a naturally gifted brawler.

And it showed in the pretty cool sequence where he had to take on all those trained armed soldiers while being drained via red solar radiation. Mortalized Clark was kicking ass against those goons before finally getting shot with a kryptonite bullet.

Also, appreciated how this exactly mirrored the fight sequence with Bizarro against his own world's troopers (and a super-powered Lana).

10. This egregrious betrayal by Anderson hopefully ends the working relationship between Superman and the government.

There should always be some degree of mistrust on both sides: the government doesn't want a Superman flying around that isn't under their thumb, and Superman has zero interest in being under the government's thumb as their tool.

Bottom line: Despite the many complaints of this episode, I still liked it. Superman saving those Russian villagers from that avalanche was a great visual use of his powers and a timely message that Kal-El serves ALL humanity, not just America.

And bring back Steel!

Grade: 7.5/10.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 03-02-2022 at 05:53 PM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Man, that opening sequence was pretty awesome, still f’n love the containment suit. Cool how it bookended the brawl at the end as well. Really liked that whole sequence.

While I am not the biggest fan of Tal-Rho being an actual half-brother, it does seem to work well with the show and kinda looking forward to what’s next. Still holding out hope for full on Eradicator look. And the dude plays the part damn near perfectly.

The grieving mother slap reminded me of the Mrs. Kitner scene in Jaws where she slaps Chief Brody in the face. A nice homage.

And thought it was pretty funny how that general ragged on Anderson: Lane worked perfectly fine with Superman for 20 years and you’ve done this in only 6 months…

Really do miss John Henry and Nat in this show. They gotta come back soon!

Oh, Sam Lane calling Mayor Dean a "windbag" made me think of Dean Cain...
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 03-02-2022 at 06:50 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

So Bizarro World has:

- Cat with Red Eyes? A reverse of Krypto?

- The family picture had Lois and Jon's faces crossed out while Jordan was still there.

- Kryptonite empowering Bizarro?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    You know...I forgot all about Sarah cheating on Jordan when she was away at camp and both her parents blowing it off...

I'm wondering if it will be up to the boys to try to rescue their father. I'm sure that Steel isn't too public yet, I'm curious to know how John is doing.
    When Jordan saw how Sarah was reacting to her dads' cheating, I think he was thinking to himself how Sarah might react if she found out he was keeping his powers from her.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I was a little leary of this show's direction after last week's very special episode of Jon Kent doing drugs, but at least they didn't waste a lot of time on it before getting to the inevitable Jon vs Jordan brawl. At least they're getting it over with early.

The fight sequences that opened and closed the episode were great. That kind of low-tech brawl, coupled with the modestly-budgeted SFX avalanche sequence is exactly the doctor ordered.

Absolutely perfect timing that it's set in Russia. And the US government beats up Superman over it.

I really dug the music they used to open and close the latest episode
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So Bizarro World has:

- Cat with Red Eyes? A reverse of Krypto?

- The family picture had Lois and Jon's faces crossed out while Jordan was still there.

- Kryptonite empowering Bizarro?

When Jordan saw how Sarah was reacting to her dads' cheating, I think he was thinking to himself how Sarah might react if she found out he was keeping his powers from her.
    That was 100% meant to be a Streaky reference. One thing that’s standing out to me is that Bizarro is the only one who looks “Bizarro”. His Ally for example just looked like regular old Ally. Is that meant to be a reflection of Clark’s alien nature, or something else?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

"Into Oblivion" Synopsis.

CHANGES – Lois (Elizabeth Tulloch), Clark (Tyler Hoechlin), and Natalie (Taylor Buck) notice a difference in John Henry's (Wole Parks) behavior and fear something might be very wrong. Meanwhile, Kyle (Erik Valdez) encounters an awkward moment with Lana (Emmanuelle Chriqui) while stopping by the house to pick Sarah (Inde Navarrette) up for school. Lastly, Jonathan (Jordan Elsass) and Jordan (Alex Garfin) brace themselves when they realize a talking to from their parents is headed their way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That was 100% meant to be a Streaky reference. One thing that’s standing out to me is that Bizarro is the only one who looks “Bizarro”. His Ally for example just looked like regular old Ally. Is that meant to be a reflection of Clark’s alien nature, or something else?
    I think maybe it's because he overdosed on Kryptonite. Lana looked normal too aside from being a Superwoman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

No krypto in this "family" series .smh!
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

THR is saying S&L is a lock to return for S3
    "Into Oblivion" Synopsis.

I think maybe it's because he overdosed on Kryptonite. Lana looked normal too aside from being a Superwoman.
    Ahhh that would explain why he was able to fend off the soldiers but our Kal was not.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Happy to hear it .

Fantastic Member

So we get to see Bizarro World which is this weird, kind of eerie, red-tinted world with the Kent Farm having seen better days and some huge cat (Bizarro!Streaky?) and Bizarro being the only ones left. And apparently Bizarro went on a rampage to find Ally, who seemed to be in charge of that world's SoA with Bizarro!Lana as a member as he grabbed the necklace so he could stop her plan, which seems to be fusing Ally and her Bizzaro World self to achieve godhood, which is why Superman gets more powerful any time he and Bizarro tussled.

Was Bizarro some kind of resistance fighter against Ally and her regime? Is that why he wasn't popular?

Gotta admire Sam Lane doing his best to try and fix the relationship between his daughters. It's very transparent, but his heart is in the right place.

Wow, a military official actually calling out Anderson for how badly he's handling Superman! I was genuinely surprised.

Poor Cortez's having to deal with Kyle being kicked out of the house, basically. Lana's barely holding it together.

I know the woman was in grief, but that slap was unjustified. Maybe Superman could've done a better job defending Anderson, but it's hard to be fully transparent with a guy like Anderson.

It's sad seeing Jordan trying to give Jon advice on controlling his powers and what to expect knowing for Jon it's partially fake. Not to say he couldn't gain super-hearing or Freeze Breath at this point, but still. It is an interesting parallel where Jon, having powers, now feels on top of the world and like he's finally found his place when that's exactly where Jordan was at in early season 1.

It feels like it's been a while since we've gotten a grand Superman save feat, so that was nice.

"Superman just saved a Russian village." "I obviously can't trust Superman because he just bailed on me to save a bunch of non-American people!" - Lt. Anderson everybody. Although it was really surreal seeing Superman in Russia in light of recent news.

It was nice to see aunt Lucy bonding with her nephews over football and semi-reconciling with her sister up until, of course, Ally came up. Lucy is too stuck in her head to recognize how drugging someone against their will is a bad thing no matter the reason.

It's funny seeing Clark giving marital advice to Lana knowing that her and Kyle becoming a thing partially drove him to become Superman in Metropolis and meet Lois. It's unfathomable to imagine Lois ever cheating on Clark, but I guess, like with anything, Clark tries to be as reasonable as possible about a (very) theoretical situation and give advice to his oldest friend.

Jeez Kyle, 6 months and you took her to your house once? And he only broke it up after Sarah's accident, which while commendable, means he didn't do it for Lana despite how much he professes he loves her. And now Lana just isn't sure how she feels about him anymore. You made your bed Kyle, and now it's outside your own home.

I have to admit it always surprises me when the boys' powers don't act up during a game and cause an incident, but I guess that would be too big for the Kents to keep quiet.

Well, those soldiers can say they tussled with Superman even if it was only because of Red Sunlight. And they still got clobbered.

I think Jon is going to learn why dating your dealer is a bad idea especially when the police are starting to investigate the X-K. Also I guess fighting with his brother totally put him off the mood for some "alone time" in her car...
    Admire is not a Army rank, it's a Navy rank. Sam Lane was in the Army, he was a four star General. It's clear that the people running the show know nothing about army ranks or uniforms. At the Start of this season Superman called a 3 star general Lieutenant!! 2Lt and 1Lt are the lowest ranking officers, You would never call a 3 star general a Lieutenant. The scene with the Sergeant First Class in her dress blues with no rank on her sleeve's. Are last season scene with a 1Lt calling a Lt Colonel by his last name. You Address him as Colonel followed by his last name or sir.
    Last edited by lotchj; 03-06-2022 at 01:37 AM.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Superman & Lois finally making its way to Japan.
    https://www.supermanhomepage.com/sup...apan-premiere/
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Incredible Member

Yes, the military ranks have been all screwed up.
    You would think that it wouldn't be that hard to research, even if you had no military consultants.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    Yes, the military ranks have been all screwed up.
    You would think that it wouldn't be that hard to research, even if you had no military consultants.
    I guess some writers just pick military ranks out of a hat and go with that.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

"My name is Sergeant Frank Drebin. Detective Lieutenant, Police Squad."

naked_prim.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog