Page 18 of 72 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Ha, all the hints that it's Doomsday and it's freaking Bizarro! Awesome!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Okay, at this point, they're just straight up lying to us. Which, I mean...good strategy, honestly.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I try to keep my moaning about this show's use of Jon to a minimum because I want other people who are enjoying it to, well, enjoy it.

That said, this isn't quite "moaning", but rather an actual idea regarding the direction this show could go in that may explain the truly strange and baffling choices when it comes to the kids and Jon in particular. Basically, I'll be going under the pretty fair assumption that this show will only last till just before the boys go off to college. I don't think they want to run the show into the ground the same way Smallville did. So the fixed endpoint of the boys going ending high school and this chapter of their lives makes sense. Lois and Clark parenting two high school boys in Clark's hometown is after all the whole crux of the show.

My theory is that by-- lets say 5 (as long as Gotham) or even 4 it's senior year (if they keep doing the one year of school for each season thing they're doing) Jordan has his little world more or less figured out. Him and Sarah are maybe back together after some ups, down, and break ups, the town is thriving, and-- maybe most importantly-- he's doing well as officially Superboy. In fact his powers have been growing pretty rapidly since freshmen year (as we've seen by him taking on Edge). But things kind of change when after all these years, his issues with X Kryptonite drug use, and feeling aimless Jon's powers come in. Turns out that out of the two brothers he was just simply the late bloomer. Jordan wants to be supportive and is on the outside, but on the inside some cracks are forming. The really specific world where he's Superboy-- and one day Superman-- start to fall apart.

That's when Clark decides to sell the farm to a new family. And that's when Sarah changes her plans to go to an in-state school with Jordan in the fall. And just a whole bunch of little things that sort of shift the dynamic of what the boys went through at the start of the show where Jon's world is lost and he's aimless while new possibilities are in front of Jordan. Via the main villain of the season Jordan gets to a point where he just wants things to go back to the way they were, and at one point Clark tries to calm him down but Jordan unambiguously overpowers him.

Things would then hit a climax at either graduation or prom where Jordan gets ready to go full on Carrie. Jon's the one that steps up to stop him without hurting him. The rest of the cast (minus Clark and Lois obviously) only see this as a possible Even-More-powerful-Evil-Superman situation. By this point Clark's putting his trust in Jon-- even with his relatively new powers-- to face Jordan and help him while he goes and faces down the real big bad of the season.

Maybe even make it Alexander Luthor, right? A Lex influencing a young and misguided Superboy from another universe? Where have I heard that before? Anyways, it'll give us the Superman vs Lex fight we likely can't get with the main Lex.

It's a chance to air out 17 years of built up **** between the two boys. But more importantly it's basically Superboy vs Superboy Prime! I mean, it's no secret that Johns is the executive producer on this show, and he's forever salty about Conner not going exactly to his plan in the comics, and clearly Jon in this show has more in common with Johns' take on the Conner Kent character than anything else (Johns even gave Conner the catch phrase "touchdown" when he'd use his TK).

(I also think Jon's likely have TK because of this fact and to spice up the variation in powers between the Kents)

I'm thinking we're going to get this show's version of the battle of Smallville, and Jon likely ends up critically hurt. This would also be a callback to Black Dawn and Super Sons of Tomorrow. It ends with Jordan sacrificing his powers to save everyone. He's left as a normal person, but he's grown since he was 14 and is now ready to face the unknown of tomorrow.

And similar to how Smallville and Gotham both "snap" into a recognizable shape by the end regardless of the libraries the show took before then-- but if you squint you'll see the differences-- I think that's how this show ends. A flash-forward to a graying Clark seeing Jon off as the new Superman, and Jordan in a far better place as a person without the need of his powers to define him.

The show even just made the comparison to that Clark and Edge were like Jon and Jordan with Jon being Clark and Jordan being Edge. Smallville is Jordan's Krypton/Earth Prime, and him wanting to hold onto it it/bring it back to how it was rather than facing what's new and unknown is the parallel. But with Jon, he's rolled with the punches and always tried to maintain what's good about him.

I view his use of guns, Steels hammer for a moment, and what will likely be his use of X Kryptonite similar to when you'd see young Bruce trying to fight crime before he's ready, or the times where Jor-El took hold of Clark and unlocked his full powers for a moment but without the heart behind them. Again, like Gotham The Guy (in this case, the next Superman) isn't at the forefront, but rather it's a more gray character who is.

That's the theory anyway.
    This would be cool, and I’m sure Jon is going to get powers at some point hopefully. I think an ending in the vein of Secret Identity where both of the boys take over like that version of Clark’s daughters took over wouldn’t be bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Okay, at this point, they're just straight up lying to us. Which, I mean...good strategy, honestly.
    Even lied in the interviews lmao! Gotta applaud them for it because it’s much more interesting than the other direction.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think an ending in the vein of Secret Identity where both of the boys take over like that version of Clark’s daughters took over wouldn’t be bad either.
    If the show had a more even focus on the boys as characters I'd agree with you. But with just how lopsided it is, it feels like there's only two options: either it's a Gotham situation and Jon's been gestating in the background to takeover in the very last episode, or Jordan really is *just* Not-Jon and he takeover.

Option 1 makes the most sense to me because it explains so much. It allows Jon to stay squeaky clean as a character, lets other media like film be the first to give us him as Superman, and it explains why you'd do two boys in the first place.

Remember their casting call sheets? Jordan was described as having an inner darkness. And at the end of the pilot when Jordan is explaining how it felt using his powers he was framed in a really ominous close up as he said "control". And in these shows, no matter how far from the comics they get, they always bend back into the shape of the comics by the end. The big two examples being Gotham and Smallville. Smallville in particular even made it so Lex came back without remembering who Clark was so that they could have the more comic book set up. Gotham ended up changing what Oswald looked like by the end. Hell, Smallville even killed Jimmy only to bring in his younger brother...with the same damn name.

I think Jordan's the "main character" apart from Clark or Lois because him getting and possibly one day being without his powers is more a character arc than it is the origin of a new hero.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Think this show’s take on Bizarro is going to be that alternate Superman from JHI’s world.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Think this show’s take on Bizarro is going to be that alternate Superman from JHI’s world.
    Think they had JHI say it wasn't his Earth's Superman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I just wish they did something with jon that's super.. because they clearly don't care for showing jon's mundane life..Fine then,have him join military or learn jujutsu from batman or something.If they don't want to give him powers.

Personally,i would rather jon get power from kryponite chemicals and drugs..It would be just like doc savage and hugo danner
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Thank god Doomsday was a misdirect. That would have been so, so lame

wow okay that was a surprise
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Bizarro huh? I’ll take it! I know I said I didn’t want another “evil Kryptonian” but Bizarro is in a league wheree free it doesn’t bother me.

I’m not going to lie, when Jordan gave his girlfriend her gift I exclaimed “God da****”, as it definitely feel like a “first love” thing that WILL backfire as so many of them do in youth.

I’m glad they are finally giving Jon something to do. While I feel that it is pent up frustration from feeling inferior to his brother and father, it kind of feels like that time in the animated Young Justice when Conner was going to Lex for Superman “patches” that gave him a more complete power set. I’m interested in seeing how this plays out.

Superman with uncontrollable powers and rage issues is...frightening.

I don't know if I'd quite put kissing/cheating on the level of your family having superpowers and your dad being Superman, but I guess it was only a matter of time before Jordan brought up wanting to tell Sarah the truth. He's thinking with his heart, not his head, and that can be a dangerous thing, but I think Clark was reasonable for giving the relationship a year before they're comfortable telling her. I mean, we're talking about a teenage high school relationship...it's bound to get topsy-turvy.

I see we are far from done with Lane family drama, as the consequences for Sam's absentee parenting and the lack of a mother figure impacted Lois and Lucy to the point where Lucy joined a cult that actually killed someone and it seems like she and Lois have been at odds for a long time now. Kind of felt bad for Sam and understood why he didn't want to drive away either of his daughters, even if Lois was always just trying to do her best.

Now that it turns out it wasn't actually Doomsday, those "Doomsday" name-drops feel even funnier in hindsight.

I can't remember if we've seen them playing Madden before, but I'm glad they play more than just Injustice.

I think that's the first time a live-action adaption has actually used Doomsday's containment suit...except the real surprise is when the mask gets torn to reveal a pale-faced checkered version of Clark inside of it, and if that didn't clue you in as to who it really is then the fact that they call him a "Bizarre Superman" and then reveal his tattered reverse of Superman's costume as well as the reversed title sequence should put to rest any doubts that that is indeed Bizarro.

Although admittedly Superman vs. Bizarro round one went about as well as most Superman vs. Doomsday fights.

Lana and Sarah talking about how it would be Jordan's loss if he didn't forgive her for the kiss felt off when Sarah was the one who kissed someone else, but I guess it's meant to be forgivable because it was just a kiss and not a full-blown affair, but it still feels a little like cheating to me. I dunno, I think Jon would've been in his right to be mad at Sarah for it a bit.

And what is Bizarro in this continuity? Is he a clone? Some kind of Kryptonian science experiment? He knows where the Fortress used to be, and he has some kind of psychic link to Clark. Is Amertek behind him?

I'm glad Natalie didn't go the whole "Why didn't you tell me? I want you to stop being a Superhero!" direction and instead focused on the two of them repairing and fixing up the suit.

Oh joy, Jon is buying drugs from his girlfriend. I'm sure this will end well. I mean, I guess I wouldn't judge her too harshly when she's living in a trailer park and struggling the fact that she and her family might end up on the street, but I don't see this ending well for anyone. And is this drug connected to X-Kryptonite?

It's definitely not going to endear Lucy to Lois that her sister sold her out to a cult leader. Also, the actress portraying Ally reminded me of Jamie Lee Curtis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Bizarro huh? I’ll take it! I know I said I didn’t want another “evil Kryptonian” but Bizarro is in a league wheree free it doesn’t bother me.
    I mean, Bizarro is the OG evil doppelganger for Superman, so I feel like it's more forgivable in this instance.

Although now I wonder if they're going to do a flip villain reveal every season.

"Ha! You thought the villain was Metallo? No, it's Conduit!"

So Allston/Parasite is definitely the “Lois” villain at this point, wonder how she’s going to connect to Bizarro?

So Allstan/Parasite is definitely the “Lois” villain at this point, wonder how she’s going to connect to Bizarro?
    Bizarro joins a cult?

Honestly, it could happen .

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I just wish they did something with jon that's super.. because they clearly don't care for showing jon's mundane life..Fine then,have him join military or learn jujutsu from batman or something.If they don't want to give him powers.

Personally,i would rather jon get power from kryponite chemicals and drugs..It would be just like doc savage and hugo danner
    I feel like they might have the XK drug unlock some dormant Kryptonian powers in his DNA or something. I think if Jonathan develops powers then it would be cool if they were energy based like Blue era Superman or tactile telekinesis like Superboy (Connor Kent). He should have his own unique powers separate from his brother.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 01-26-2022 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I feel like they might have the XK drug unlock some dormant Kryptonian powers in his DNA or something. I think if Jonathan develops powers then it would be cool if they were energy based like Blue era Superman or tactile telekinesis like Superboy (Connor Kent). He should have his own unique powers separate from his brother.
    You know that the focus will be on him using "drugs" and addiction and it being bad and season's end he'll break the habit and never use it again. So what's the point in giving him unique powers that he won't keep? They'd have to make new powers and CGI assets just for it, so cheaper and makes more sense just to stick to kryptonian powers.