Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast
    Swiss army nerd

I could see Jon getting badly hurt thanks to the drug stuff, then requiring a blood transfusion from his twin, which in turn kick starts his Kryptonian abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Thank god Doomsday was a misdirect. That would have been so, so lame
    I feel like people were too dismissive of Doomsday but at least people will be more receptive to Bizarro.

A great misdirect in the latest episode right up there with "Captain Luthor" from season one. "Captain Luthor" and "Doomsday" are great examples of subverting expectations done right, bravo.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I feel like they might have the XK drug unlock some dormant Kryptonian powers in his DNA or something. I think if Jonathan develops powers then it would be cool if they were energy based like Blue era Superman or tactile telekinesis like Superboy (Connor Kent). He should have his own unique powers separate from his brother.
    That would be cool.

Honestly I'm hoping they adapt New Krypton in the future. They could use Argo City from Superman TAS.

I'm curious if they'll keep Bizarro's reverse powers (cold vision, heat breath, etc.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious if they'll keep Bizarro's reverse powers (cold vision, heat breath, etc.)
    I certainly hope so. They went out of their way to reverse his speech literally, what's reversing his powers?

So far this show has the same quality as last season (that's a very good thing). Definitely did not see that red herring coming. The thing that stood out for though was how terrifying Clark can be when his sons piss him off. That Anderson guy might be a dick but maybe after almost decapitating both your kids via heatvision multiple times in one day, maybe he should have been less reluctant to be letting more people into this Bizzaro panic attack problem. Wonder what Clark's wedding ring is made of that its more invulnerable than his hands.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 01-26-2022 at 10:26 PM.

Thoughts of #SupermanAndLois (SAL) s2e3 "The Thing In The Mines". Spoilers follow ...

1. Let me me hear you say
    This **** is Bizarro: B-i-z-a-r-r-o.
    THIS **** IS BIZARRO! B-I-Z-A-R-R-O!

What an absolute subversion of expectations.

I, and just about everyone else, had it wrong: we're NOT getting Doomsday after all (thank goodness), we're really getting Bizarro, a significant upgrade in terms of antagonist storytelling potential.

So happy with this bait and switch, which was masterfully misleading.

2. John Henry Irons transforming in midair into his Steel suit for the fight with Not-Doomsday was awesome.

The SFX on this show are used sparingly, but damn, when they show up, they show out. That scene was straight out of the MCU Iron Man movies.

Also, sounds like Natalie is going to upgrade the look and power of her dad's suit going forward. Tips: We gotta see his face (Magneto style helmet?) and get the S on his chest (diamond or hexagon shape will do).

3. Jordan again went through the emotional ringer.

From stupidly wanting to tell Sarah about his powers, to witnessing a glimpse of his alien father's / Bizarro's rage, to stupidly giving away his grandmother (Martha)'s locket to Sarah ... well, at least he listened to Natalie and Jordan's advice. Speaking of which ...

4. Loved all the interactions between Natalie, Jordan, and Jonathan.

Natalie actually seemed like a long-lost sister to the brothers here. Great onscreen chemistry. I'm all for the 3 kids becoming a team of siblings under one (or more) roof(s).

5. Sarah kinda sucks. She cheated, and felt entitled to forgiveness because she admitted the truth to Jordan. She's not worth Jordan's or Natalie's or the viewers' time, IMO.

6. Lana got taken down by the very first challenge to her mayoral campaign.

That cheeseburger-looking dude had her dead to rights: she can't use "I wasn't aware" as her go-to excuse everytime what she promises doesn't come to pass (like those reverse mortgages she sold in Season 1 that ended up costing Smallvillians their homes).

7. Kinda getting tired of Lois continually blaming Sam Lane for having been a bad dad.

Not that Sam doesn't deserve a lot of it, but it feels like we never get off this beat with them on this show. If he was truly all that terrible for Lois, then why has he remained an integral part of her life?

If nothing else, he's still The Parent Who Stayed.

8. Ally Allston is going to be The Real Big Bad of SAL Season 2.

Turns out she is definitely from the comix, and not just a direct play on the disgraced Allison Mack from the Smallville TV show.

I hope this rather frumpy look isn't her final form.

9. I didn't think the first storyline to focus on Jonathan this season would be him breaking bad.

Jonathan apparently trying to score performance-enhancing drugs (X-K) to boost his chances at football reads like something out of the early episodes of Smallville.

I just hope we're heading somewhere more original than a clichéd brother vs brother showdown in the future.

10. Clark is terrifying when angry.

I get that he wasn't quite himself due to the sudden psychic link to Bizzaro, but him yelling separately at both Jordan and Jonathan was startling.

11. Bizarro is an odd duck, both in terms of characterization and of popularity.

He's usually got a sympathetic side, far more destructive than he is malicious. He's the best parts of Frankenstein's Monster mixed with Superman. This Bizarro seems to only speak Kryptonian and has a glowing necklace. But I suspect that will change.

Bottom line: Better than both last week's ep and the s2 premiere. Thought we were getting Doomsday, and we got Bizarro instead. Great SFX where needed.

Bring on the next episode!

Grade: 9/10

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I feel like people were too dismissive of Doomsday but at least people will be more receptive to Bizarro.
    I just think Doomsday is a bit of a nothing character. He's plot mechanics with spikes on his body. That said, I though Smallville did a reasonably good job turning him into even more of a Hulk knock-off in order to make him work on TV, although the action scenes were laughably cheap.

Bizarro, on the other hand, has a lot more thematic and psychological depth to the character because he's a flawed copy of Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I just think Doomsday is a bit of a nothing character. He's plot mechanics with spikes on his body. That said, I though Smallville did a reasonably good job turning him into even more of a Hulk knock-off in order to make him work on TV, although the action scenes were laughably cheap.

Bizarro, on the other hand, has a lot more thematic and psychological depth to the character because he's a flawed copy of Clark.
    I think Doomsday is an effective force of nature for the Man of Tomorrow to combat and the impact of his presence can be big, depending on how you execute it.

But there is definitely a lot you can do with Biazarro.

Also, was he already talking in reverse or was he just talking in Kryptonian?

Bunch of Article Interviews with Hoechlin came out recently!

Trouble at Home: Tyler Hoechlin on Clark Kent's Season Two Struggles

Superman & Lois Finally Confirms What's in the Mines, Tyler Hoechlin Reacts to the 'Really Cool' Reveal

Superman & Lois star Tyler Hoechlin explains why season 2's big bad is 'a gift'

Funny how the actors themselves aren’t always in the loop about what’s coming down the line either.
    I think Doomsday is an effective force of nature for the Man of Tomorrow to combat and the impact of his presence can be big, depending on how you execute it.

But there is definitely a lot you can do with Biazarro.

Also, was he already talking in reverse or was he just talking in Kryptonian?
    For me Doomsday’s only positive is that you can have him and Clark go all out in a fight. We get to see Clark cut loose and enjoy the spectacle of a Superman fighting without holding back. This show has better CGI than other Arrowverse shows, but we’ve seen a full fledged theatrical film Doomsday (terrible design aside) and animated Death of Superman adaption where the two go all out. There’s no way the show can match either in terms of spectacle, not unless they cut the season short and used the CGI budget for 3 episodes in one. Doomsday has one good story and that’s it, the only other story that could potentially be used here is the New 52 Doomed, since that’s less about a fight and more about Clark’s internal struggle, but that would be a repeat of S1 where Clark is in danger of being turned to evil. Otherwise Doomsday just works as the muscle, a season where Brainiac controls him and uses him as a weapon against Superman would suit me fine.

Oh and he was talking in reverse
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-27-2022 at 12:22 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

So,bizzaro was part of tomasi's run.I know tomasi's run isn't much of anything in this show.But,bizzaroverse with boyzarro would be cool to seel.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Technically, Clark is the one that gave Jordan the locket to give to Sarah to appease Jordan for not spilling the beans over the secret.

The show is making light of Sarah's cheating but the viewers aren't so oblivious, framing the issue with Jordan around her bisexual awakening instead of the break in trust because she actually kissed someone else and is going on like it was nothing. It IS something, to Jordan. It wasn't great that while Jon and Nat meant well but them championing Jordan be truthful has ramification of their whole family and not acknowledging Jordan's hurt because he's hiding a Superman size secret. The show has mishandled Sarah since she came home from camp and every time they address her camp/Jordan stuff they make it worse and make Sarah look like a bad girlfriend not even worthy of Martha's locket, let alone knowing Jordan is the son of Superman.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 01-27-2022 at 02:31 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

The Bizarro misdirect was definitely welcome and unexpected, but when I thought we were getting Doomsday, I actually was stoked to see the green suit and cables/restraints.

While I'm happy to get Bizarro , and one pretty comics accurate, I do kinda wonder if the misdirect/twist fake outs is going to become a thing. I get the first season switch from Captain Luthor to Steel wasn't originally planned, and this seems to have been, but I don't know how many more times they can go to this well before it becomes a cliché. I hope next year they don't keep repeating this trope.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The Doomsday/Bizarro twist was unexpected. A lot better than Morgan Edge being the Eradicator and Kal's half-brother.

Clark's inner reaction when he realized it wasn't really Doomsday: