Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Spider-man 80.BEY Review

This was... something.Not bad but not great

1)The May/Otto thing was weird.Not just the flirting which was over the top but how May just walked away at the end.Seems like she'd play along a bit longer if she went through all this trouble.

2)May talking to Vapor was the highlight of the issue.I want Peter to repay the favor to her after Beyond.

3)The dialogue is repetitive, seems recycled.May states the same things over and over w/ small changes to wording

4)Peter is back! I'm bummed that it seems to have been just normal radiation which makes little sense and hopefully they explain the danger is inside thing but let's go.Also scares me that we have so many issues before he gets back as Spidey, it's going to be slow and painful, isn't it.....

5)Beyond bought what left of Parker Industries.Otto doesn't like it and is going after them now

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    This was... something.Not bad but not great

1)The May/Otto thing was weird.Not just the flirting which was over the top but how May just walked away at the end.Seems like she'd play along a bit longer if she went through all this trouble.

2)May talking to Vapor was the highlight of the issue.I want Peter to repay the favor to her after Beyond.

3)The dialogue is repetitive, seems recycled.May states the same things over and over w/ small changes to wording

4)Peter is back! I'm bummed that it seems to have been just normal radiation which makes little sense and hopefully they explain the danger is inside thing but let's go.Also scares me that we have so many issues before he gets back as Spidey, it's going to be slow and painful, isn't it.....

5)Beyond bought what left of Parker Industries.Otto doesn't like it and is going after them now
    I feel like “not bad, not great” could sum up this whole event so far.

I thought it was a pretty fun and breezy issue fwiw. No fault of this particular writer, but someone pointed out Aunt May has the most inconsistent characterization of any Spiderverse character. I can’t say I disagree. She went from a doting and doddering, passive, semi-senile woman in her late 70s to early 80s who was in very fragile health, to a sassy, sharp-tongued boomer in her late 50s to mid 60s. I think a lot of this goes back to JMS’s reframing of her as more assertive during his run in the early 2000s and subsequent writers have emphasized those aspects even more. That NuMay characterization is even more prominent than usual in her interactions with Ock in this issue. Maybe it was a necessary evolution the character had to go through, but still can be glaring when compared to how she was during the 60s and 70s.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I feel like “not bad, not great” could sum up this whole event so far.

I thought it was a pretty fun and breezy issue fwiw. No fault of this particular writer, but someone pointed out Aunt May has the most inconsistent characterization of any Spiderverse character. I can’t say I disagree. She went from a doting and doddering, passive, semi-senile woman in her late 70s to early 80s who was in very fragile health, to a sassy, sharp-tongued boomer in her late 50s to mid 60s. I think a lot of this goes back to JMS’s reframing of her as more assertive during his run in the early 2000s and subsequent writers have emphasized those aspects even more. That NuMay characterization is even more prominent than usual in her interactions with Ock in this issue. Maybe it was a necessary evolution the character had to go through, but still can be glaring when compared to how she was during the 60s and 70s.
    Agreed, I don't have high hopes for the Miles/Ben issue but I'm hoping the Peter/MJ/Cat stuff and Ock vs Ben and Beyond turn that around.

I liked JMS's May, I feel writers since haven't had a good hold on her.Then again I feel she shouldn't be around rn, as bad as that sounds

Agreed, I don't have high hopes for the Miles/Ben issue but I'm hoping the Peter/MJ/Cat stuff and Ock vs Ben and Beyond turn that around.

I liked JMS's May, I feel writers since haven't had a good hold on her.Then again I feel she shouldn't be around rn, as bad as that sounds
    Naw that's the truth she shouldn't be around really. Issue is ok although the fact Peter got up in this issue I guess it will be recap in issue 81. Otto and May I just don't see the appeal with constantly giving May love interests. Otto attacking Beyond because they brought parkter Industry makes sense. But I thought he lost his memories did he get them back post kindred?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

The Ock/May relationship was one thing that could've been left alone in the 70s. Recently re-read Jenkins' PP: Spider-Man and it doesn't really make sense anymore, now that she's not depicted as incredibly senile, that she'd have feelings for a criminal who kidnapped her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    The Ock/May relationship was one thing that could've been left alone in the 70s. Recently re-read Jenkins' PP: Spider-Man and it doesn't really make sense anymore, now that she's not depicted as incredibly senile, that she'd have feelings for a criminal who kidnapped her.
    I forget, is this something we blame on Slott orrr….? He had a penchant for resurrecting best left forgotten continuity (plus his strong affinity for Doc Ock).

I thought it was tons of fun and I'd be down for an Otto/May spinoff.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

At least we know why Otto has a mad-on for Beyond . . . and while it wasn't spelled out explicitly, I think we can all connect the dots at this point --- Beyond hired the U-Foes and sent them to specifically take out Peter Parker/Spider-Man, as he was a threat to Beyond's ability to market Ben Reilly as the sole legitimate Spider-Man going forward. As for the interaction between Otto and May, I personally thought it was a good blend of humorous, charming, and occasionally cringy . . . at least until Otto stopped playing nice for her sake and revealed that he was still a ruthless, vicious bastard of a man willing to do anything to achieve his ends, occasional moments of nobility or somewhat good intentions be damned. Looking forward to seeing how this goes now that Peter's conscious again and Otto is heading out on the warpath against Beyond.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Solid issue, although I was bummed we didn't get even a little bit of Ben.

I don't have much to add to what's already been said, except that I did really enjoy the portrayal of Ock here -- not as a cackling supervillain but as a nuanced character, multifaceted and capable of both horror and love in his actions. Passionate. Egotistical. And we got a little of the white suit at the end!

Nice to see Peter up again, and it's fun to find out that (like many of us suspected) we appear to have evidence that Beyond was behind the U-Foes attack. How long until Ben finds out?

Can't wait for more Ock in the story, but I especially can't wait for more Ben! This story was funny and had some solid characterization, but not even an ounce of Spidey? Maybe not the best choice.

-Pav, who agrees that May's leaving seemed abrupt considering Ock didn't kill those guys...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Solid issue, although I was bummed we didn't get even a little bit of Ben.

I don't have much to add to what's already been said, except that I did really enjoy the portrayal of Ock here -- not as a cackling supervillain but as a nuanced character, multifaceted and capable of both horror and love in his actions. Passionate. Egotistical. And we got a little of the white suit at the end!

Nice to see Peter up again, and it's fun to find out that (like many of us suspected) we appear to have evidence that Beyond was behind the U-Foes attack. How long until Ben finds out?

Can't wait for more Ock in the story, but I especially can't wait for more Ben! This story was funny and had some solid characterization, but not even an ounce of Spidey? Maybe not the best choice.

-Pav, who agrees that May's leaving seemed abrupt considering Ock didn't kill those guys...
    Yeah, I thought the portrayal of Ock was good. He's a fun character to see on the side of the angels *and* as an antagonistic force pursuing his own goals. I did like Otto was already showing signs that he didn't like what beyond was up to and was clearly thinking they had to be stopped, and then they hit his giant sore spot. xD

I really keep thinking Otto needs his own title, to be honest.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-09-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Honestly? This was the best issue of Beyond so far. I felt like we had solid action with a developed story. Ziglar seems to be doing a good job. The Ock May ship stuff is pretty weird though.

Incredible Member

Finally had a chance to read it (along with issue 80 back to back). Quite enjoyed how Otto’s time as Superior and Parker Industries is tied back into this. Shows lasting consequences somewhat.

Not to sure how I felt about Aunt May, woman of action. If it was Ultimate Aunt May, I’d not be surprised, but I’m guess I’m still use to old/frail/always dying and almost drawn like a walking corpse 616 Aunt May. Oddly enough I wasn’t creeped out by her and Otto’s… interactions.
    Last edited by Blanks; 12-09-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Yeah, I thought the portrayal of Ock was good. He's a fun character to see on the side of the angels *and* as an antagonistic force pursuing his own goals. I did like Otto was already showing signs that he didn't like what beyond was up to and was clearly thinking they had to be stopped, and then they hit his giant sore spot. xD

I really keep thinking Otto needs his own title, to be honest.
    He does have Superior Four coming out of Devil's Reign, though I'm guessing you mean an ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Finally had a chance to read it (along with issue 80 back to back). Quite enjoyed how Otto’s time as Superior and Parker Industries is tied back into this. Shows lasting consequences somewhat.

Not to sure how I felt about Aunt May, woman of action. If it was Ultimate Aunt May, I’d not be surprised, but I’m guess I’m still use to old/frail/always dying and almost drawn like a walking corpse 616 Aunt May. Oddly enough I wasn’t creeped out by her and Otto’s… interactions.
    Heh, I can understand that, though this also goes back to 2000s Spider-Man by J. Michael Straczynski, who closed his opening arc with her finding out Peter was Spider-Man after seeing him sleeping in his damaged, bloodied costume, which did herald a shift in characterization for her, insofar as her being tougher and more resilient than Peter (and the fans/readers) may have credited her for being in the past, consciously or subconsciously.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

A Parker's sense of responsibility can be really dumb at times .

Is Vapor the kind of character to give that much of a damn though? Only remember her from Immortal Hulk, but that story won't really tell if she has a soft heart outside of fighting.

Peter's back in a fucking tie-in lol.

Either way, this was surprisingly fun, it is weird for May to be into Otto like this, but I guess it's lingering feelings from what they had before.

Also man, somehow I never realized that Peter and May have in common that they dated criminals, and Otto isn't the only one, since another guy she dated when she was young was one too... To think he has more in common with May than anyone else from his family lol.

Still, a lot happened here, these tie-ins are definitely not telling filler stories.

Oh well, seems that it was just some radiation that fucked over Peter, thought it'd be something made to specifically kill him.

Also I'm wondering how the hospital didn't realize that Peter has radiation naturally in his blood, maybe the extra dosage screws the readings lol.

Come to think of it, pretty dumb Vapor just happened to have the right radiation for May to get, unless she remembers the kind she used there I guess...
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 12-09-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    He does have Superior Four coming out of Devil's Reign, though I'm guessing you mean an ongoing.
    Superior Four sounds very fun and I'm looking forward to it, but yes, I meant something a little longer lasting where Ock can shake the status quo more openly.