Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Jennifer Alloway has been hired as Senior Writer for the Wonder Woman video game.

It's been so long since we've heard any news I was fearing the worst, but this is a great sign.
    Cool to hear .

Jennifer Alloway has been hired as Senior Writer for the Wonder Woman video game.

It's been so long since we've heard any news I was fearing the worst, but this is a great sign.
    Glad to hear some movement on this project after so long.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Video games are usually fine unless they say it’s canceled, since they usually take 5 years to make unless they are a sequel.

Video game companies often go a long time without saying a word after the initial trailer (Cuberpunk 2077 *cough cough*). So yeah, I wouldn’t worry if we don’t hear anything for months or years at a time.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 08-12-2022 at 09:24 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Extraordinary Member

Monolith is hiring for the dev team if one of you wants to get the job and leak all the details to us.

Just saw this comment by someone in the game's Narrative department under the thread Gail Simone posted about who would be Diana's first girlfriend in the DCU...

Also re: early conversations about flight, I can see it going either way. I'm inclined to say probably not, but Monolith has done it in an open world RPG before - Shadow of War has flying mounts and you can breathe fire, grab enemies from the ground, etc. The controls are kind of clunky but I wouldn't be surprised if they used that as a foundation for a more developed flight mechanic. And it looks like it's going to be set on Themyscira, which topography-wise is a pretty standard fantasy setting. I could see them making it a really big, sprawling open map, and flight could be a unique traversal option that makes it feel like a superhero game rather than it just feeling like a Middle Earth reskin or Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.

I'd guess maybe 60/40 leaping vs. flight, and if you can fly I have a feeling it'll be a power you unlock later in the game.

Better question...will you be able to ride Jumpa?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Better question...will you be able to ride Jumpa?
    Ahahaha, now wouldn't that be Sensational?!?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Picked up the very fun Assassin's Creed: Odyssey this week and I've gotta say, it REALLY feels like a WW game set on Themyscira. Much bloodier and a bit more grounded, but navigating an open Ancient Greek world, playing as a heroic muscular woman with divine powers, scaling any environment with climbing/acrobatics, convincing enemies to join your crew, some of the abilities like temporary super speed and close-range concussive blasts...all feels very Wonder Woman-y. I'd even say Kassandra's VA would be a perfect choice for Diana if the comparison wasn't a concern.

Surely the devs are aware of the similarities, so I wonder - what do people think could make the game stand out from other open-world RPGs, especially Odyssey? Is it enough to have stronger powers, more combat options, and a wider range of enemies (including her non-mythological villains)?

Traversal via flight could really make it stand out but as has been discussed ad nauseam, flying in video games is always touchy. It's also possible that it'll split your time between Man's World and Themyscira but I feel like putting 2 radically different open worlds in one game would be impossible, even with current-gen hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Picked up the very fun Assassin's Creed: Odyssey this week and I've gotta say, it REALLY feels like a WW game set on Themyscira. Much bloodier and a bit more grounded, but navigating an open Ancient Greek world, playing as a heroic muscular woman with divine powers, scaling any environment with climbing/acrobatics, convincing enemies to join your crew, some of the abilities like temporary super speed and close-range concussive blasts...all feels very Wonder Woman-y. I'd even say Kassandra's VA would be a perfect choice for Diana if the comparison wasn't a concern.

Surely the devs are aware of the similarities, so I wonder - what do people think could make the game stand out from other open-world RPGs, especially Odyssey? Is it enough to have stronger powers, more combat options, and a wider range of enemies (including her non-mythological villains)?

Traversal via flight could really make it stand out but as has been discussed ad nauseam, flying in video games is always touchy. It's also possible that it'll split your time between Man's World and Themyscira but I feel like putting 2 radically different open worlds in one game would be impossible, even with current-gen hardware.
    Better dialogue and story that's something. I appreciate a lot of AC games but nowadays it feels more like you're paying to see the world they created. AC: Odyssey had a tone problem for me, between wanting to take itself with some seriousness and having campy nonsensical fun. It didn't feel balanced to me. You'd have questlines with comedic one-off characters then have a campaign mission of having a child dying during the Athenian Plague. I don't want WW to have tonal whiplash like that. I want fun, but natural not campy. I should be able to enjoy a game with out the MARVEL formula of overusing quips, jokes, and one-liners.

I would have preferred a distinct art style too. So many big AAA open world games try for hyper realistic graphics and its stale. Give me a WW game that looks like Breath of the Wild. Something that's not always done, something unique to itself and only a handful of others.

I'll say this much, if Monolith's Open World is anything like AC: Odyssey or even their own Shadow of War game, it's not going to go over well with gamers, especially after ELDEN RING. If you want to mimic anything, mimic that.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Spectacular Member

They already have the Nemesis System

Expecting the game to mostly be on Themyscira. They could reasonable amp it up to feel and be bigger than it's usually portrayed in the comics or TV/movies.

Could be some Man's World stuff but I doubt much since Diana doesn't have any particularly iconic fake city like Metropolis or Gotham or a strong connection to a real one like Spider-Man and NYC. Of course they could use one of DC's fictional cities as a background way to use other DC universe stuff. That would...not be ideal.

Better to keep it mostly on some place fantastical like Themyscira since that would distinguish it from other superhero games. Also wouldn't have to be hacks like the makers behind SS game by setting it mostly in the iconography of another franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Expecting the game to mostly be on Themyscira. They could reasonable amp it up to feel and be bigger than it's usually portrayed in the comics or TV/movies.

Could be some Man's World stuff but I doubt much since Diana doesn't have any particularly iconic fake city like Metropolis or Gotham or a strong connection to a real one like Spider-Man and NYC. Of course they could use one of DC's fictional cities as a background way to use other DC universe stuff. That would...not be ideal.

Better to keep it mostly on some place fantastical like Themyscira since that would distinguish it from other superhero games. Also wouldn't have to be hacks like the makers behind SS game by setting it mostly in the iconography of another franchise.
    It’s the more exciting option to explore in an open world game anyway. I hope they go nuts with the fantasy/magical elements of the island.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I really wish Themyscira didn't look like a generic ancient greek civilization with that simplistic architectural style, and that the amazons had built an impressive civilization with biopunk technology unlike any other and specific meditation rituals and esoteric explorations of the astral plane

,but I'm guessing it's pointless to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s the more exciting option to explore in an open world game anyway. I hope they go nuts with the fantasy/magical elements of the island.
    Yes, played through GoW3 over the summer and definitely they could take some inspiration for setting design from there.

The ideal world would be, for me anyway, would have four major areas, similar to how it looks via Destiny 2.

You'd have Themyscira, Olympus, some large mythical world (set in the sphere of the Gods maybe), and Gateway City.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor