Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Default *Nods to Agent Z* Izuku "Deku" Midoriya vs Gon Freecs

I was digging through some old threads today while procrastinating at work and I came across this one.

Deku has gotten significantly more powerful in the intervening time, can he take on the Pro Hunter?

- Deku is current version
    - Gon is as he was in the Chimera Ant arc prior to him sacrificing his Nen

Fight takes place in a deserted York Shin City from HxH.

Who wins?

Extraordinary Member

While I'm not very knowledgable about HxH I've gotten the impression that the way that series presents speed feats make them generally more concrete and more easily quantifiable than what we're given in MHA. So, how fast is Gon?

Deku has some level of superspeed since he has outsped Gran Torino, despite GT having a head start, and his danger sense to help him out further. If we allow movie feats he's also dodged several really fast (reaching him almost instantly despite the shooter being to far away for him to see) target seeking projectiles without Danger Sense activated. But I imagine that Gon will have clearer feats than that. Is that correct?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Does Delu have inherent durability at this point or does he need to consciously activate One for All to do anything? And has he started busting out super reflexes instead of just propelling himself at super speed? I'm way behind.

probably Deku. Gon never felt particularly strong or skilled to me. So i think Deku could win pretty fast.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Does Delu have inherent durability at this point or does he need to consciously activate One for All to do anything? And has he started busting out super reflexes instead of just propelling himself at super speed? I'm way behind.
    Deku does need to activate One For All in general, but that's litterally just a thought or reflex anyway at this point. He's able to have it activated more consistently no so he can get into extended brawls and move around at high speeds instead of just bursting forward with it, he recently fought a really skilled sniper with the ability to fly and he was able to narrowly dodge and deflect her shots and even caught up with one of them that was fired at another target (though that required some build up).

He's even able to bust out multiple 100% smashes without breaking his bones anymore, though they still hurt him.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Even when he's not using the powers explicitly, he's got them ready. He's effectively got really fast reactions to be able to use his powers at their native speed. That speed, when pushed, is something around "really high end bullet timer, plus really fast movement speed." Lady Nagant, the sniper mentioned by another poster, is the explicit best shooter in the world. She simply doesn't miss out to miles, and can curve shots as well. Deku explicitly dodges her stuff after it is fired, and even more, chases down and passes one of her shots in flight to save somebody.

As far as what levels he can maintain:

1. He can maintain 45% of OFA at the moment without buildup and without damaging himself.
    2. He can use 100% OFA burst attacks in a limited fashion without crippling himself, though not too many and not all the time. It takes a toll UNLESS...
    3. He combines OFA with one of the other quirks he has (he's got a stack now - turns out, it's the nature of OFA). Notably, Fa Jin is one of his quirks, and it lets him store up kinetic energy from his actions and then release it later. Given how he moves around - jumping massive distances instantly with OFA - he's constantly generating craptons of energy that he can store using Fa Jin. He combines the stored energy from Fa Jin with OFA at "stable" percentages to create "faux 100% OFA." This lets him do 100% OFA stuff without taking any damage at all.

After, like a lot of the kids, he's got some level of massive superhuman durability because "f£€# you that's why." He takes hits that smash him through rock and concrete and buildings and whatever when he's fairly explicitly not doing any "conscious" OFA tricks. At least with OFA, it makes sense: OFA is a quirk that gives silly durability. So it's easy to handwave that for Deku. But this works for Bakugo also, and that seems kind of silly that his nitroglycerine sweat quirk lets him take hits that would turn a person into salsa. It's manga, don't overthink it, is the motto that it's best to follow.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    While I'm not very knowledgable about HxH I've gotten the impression that the way that series presents speed feats make them generally more concrete and more easily quantifiable than what we're given in MHA. So, how fast is Gon?
    He's pretty dang quick. Looking back on it, pretty much all his significant fights are against people more powerful than himself so sussing out his exact speed is a little tricky.

Prior to unlocking his Nen, so as baby a Gon as you can imagine, while he utterly gets clowned on by Netero, he demonstrates low level blink movement stuff.

Fun little bit demonstrating his reaction times from very early in the series

Post unlocking Nen and starting his growth proper:

Kurapika was confirmed as a bullet timer in the York Shin arc and Gon, who was around his ballpark early on as shown in the above coin clip, almost definitely surpassed him in stats during the subsequent Greed Island arc. During that time, Gon and Killua are pretty much equal and there's a great feat where Killua takes out around 1,400+ people by himself in short order through blitzing around invisibly.

They get more powerful than that throughout the Greed Island arc, it's specifically a training arc. In the Chimera Ant arc, Gon and Killua are still presented as pretty much equal outside of Killua's godspeed technique, which dramatically and specifically enhances his speed. When he fights Knuckle, the first time, he demonstrates further blink movement stuff, high speed exchanges and so on. He fights him again and it's a bit closer because he trained a lot.

He then trains for a month, gets more motivated and seems to exceed Knuckle in most capacities.

I would pitch him as some flavour of reasonably high end bullet timer.