Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I don't want to rain too much on the parade for the fans who are loving the current direction of Superman, but IMO the last 5 years or so was the most disappointing period of my Superman fan life. Too much emphasis on Jon, a couple of duds in the DCEU with no future projects in sight, over-reliance on the Death of Superman in other media, another CW TV show that has no interest to me after a show on Sy Fy that was Superman Minus Superman, Injustice festering like an infected wound, and the upcoming Suicide Squad game that looks cool but only features Superman as an NPC villain (or at least that's what it looks like so far). I guess getting no new TV shows, animated movies, or live-action movies would be worse, but I feel like right now it feels like Superman can only scatter a few singles but not score any runs. All I can rely on is my back-library of Superman material. I also suppose I'm green with envy when some other DC property seems to be getting something interesting.
    S&L is a great show that is doing the daddy Superman better than the comics are, IMHO. But then, the TV shows tend to do a much better job with the character than the comics. Which I suppose is a complaint in and of itself.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Speaking of Didio whose been in the comic-news recently due to the above article, I think Superman is in an even worse spot now and for the future than he ever was under that regime. Its that bleak to me. The only hope I can imagine for him is another lightning in a bottle idea from out of nowhere like Death of Superman. And those don't come often.
    End of the day Didio’s incompetence is what got Johns to take reign and kill off New 52 Superman, so he’s still the bane of your existence lol. Overall I think comics wise he’s doing solid, but outside of comics **** is dire and likely will remain so. I have no hope for his success in film improving, all I’m pulling for now is a video game. You still have Waid to look forward to at least since he’s got a project coming and his tastes align with yours.
    I don't want to rain too much on the parade for the fans who are loving the current direction of Superman, but IMO the last 5 years or so was the most disappointing period of my Superman fan life. Too much emphasis on Jon, a couple of duds in the DCEU with no future projects in sight, over-reliance on the Death of Superman in other media, another CW TV show that has no interest to me after a show on Sy Fy that was Superman Minus Superman, Injustice festering like an infected wound, and the upcoming Suicide Squad game that looks cool but only features Superman as an NPC villain (or at least that's what it looks like so far). I guess getting no new TV shows, animated movies, or live-action movies would be worse, but I feel like right now it feels like Superman can only scatter a few singles but not score any runs. All I can rely on is my back-library of Superman material. I also suppose I'm green with envy when some other DC property seems to be getting something interesting.
    Damn that’s brutal man. As frustrated as I am with how ineptly he’s been handled, I actually am pretty happy overall with most of the current content featuring him. Just wish he had better luck outside of comics with major projects, and I want a video game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hmm, well if it's any consolation doesn't look like much Injustice content on the immediate horizon given it seems the focus is Gotham Knights, the Hot Topic squad game, and WW. Plus whatever that rumored game from WB Montreal.

Watch them announce it tomorrow, lol.
    Apparently NRS decided to go straight to the next MK game rather than I3 because they weren’t sure if AT&T were going to sell them to MS. So we may be able to kick that can down the road until 2024 or whatever. Luckily WW has a game coming at least to counter her awful portrayal in the NRS games. Still nothing for Supes sadly and only hope now is WBM, who I’m a little nervous of. Not sure how Gotham Knights is going to be received.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    End of the day Didio’s incompetence is what got Johns to take reign and kill off New 52 Superman, so he’s still the bane of your existence lol. Overall I think comics wise he’s doing solid, but outside of comics **** is dire and likely will remain so. I have no hope for his success in film improving, all I’m pulling for now is a video game. You still have Waid to look forward to at least since he’s got a project coming and his tastes align with yours.

Damn that’s brutal man. As frustrated as I am with how ineptly he’s been handled, I actually am pretty happy overall with most of the current content featuring him. Just wish he had better luck outside of comics with major projects, and I want a video game.

Apparently NRS decided to go straight to the next MK game rather than I3 because they weren’t sure if AT&T were going to sell them to MS. So we may be able to kick that can down the road until 2024 or whatever. Luckily WW has a game coming at least to counter her awful portrayal in the NRS games. Still nothing for Supes sadly and only hope now is WBM, who I’m a little nervous of. Not sure how Gotham Knights is going to be received.
    Honestly, I wouldn't surprised if that WB Montreal was just another Batman game since I could easily see WB putting out two Batman-centric games that close to one another. Though maybe with the twist of, idk, make it Gotham by Gaslight or Batman Beyond

I'll still just ride the high off that Injustice movie being s*** and making IJ fans upset they aren't getting their six-film animated epic, lol.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

If we never get another Injustice, it's too soon.

That series gave me playable Power Girl, Jay Garrick and Hellboy and I still wouldn't mind it taking a dirt nap.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

The hatred creators seem to have for all the cool stuff, the Legion, the Fortress, and so forth, utterly baffles me. He’s not the goddamn Batman and no matter how much you de power him and take away the “silly” stuff, he’s still an alien who looks exactly like a human who can fly because the sun is the right color and wears blue and red tights to fight crime. He’ll never be “realistic” unless you go all the way back to the Golden Age power levels which most of the “realistic” stuff doesn’t do.

And yeah I know I’m being petty but I hate seeing other characters take his stuff. Especially the SS game using Metropolis as a setting that’s ours damnit
    People who want a lower powered, barely enhanced Man then go read the adventures of Seraph. He has only the strength of Samson

I don't think the problem is Superman. Looking at comics as an American art form, it becomes hard to ignore the bizarre changes in America's citizenry.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I don't think the problem is Superman. Looking at comics as an American art form, it becomes hard to ignore the bizarre changes in America's citizenry.
    Meaning that American society is in a pessimistic, angry Batman era rather than in a hopeful, caring Superman era?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I WANT THAT BEAUTIFUL MULLET BACK!

*ahem*

I would expand that to 2011. The last great Superman I read was pre-Flashpoint. I think TPTB knee capped a lot of what was being built around and after Infinite Crisis. I liked Jon in the beginning, but sadly, he was pushed too hard and him replacing his dad was too much too soon. Give me the triangle days any day over what we have now, and mind you, I was super hopeful for both the Bendis run and the guys we have now, but it has been a big let down. Sadly, I went from collecting 20-plus DC books at the start of Rebirth, to picking up maybe three ongoings and a few limiteds. As a life-long Superman fan, it’s hard to say only Action is on my pull list, and I don’t know how long I’ll keep it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    https://www.supermanhomepage.com/gra...dan-didio/amp/

The silver bullet to anyone thinking Didio ever cared about Superman as a character. Jesus Christ.

Thank whichever God is responsible for Morrison.
    Actually, I think this is a silver bullet for anyone (if there is anyone) who thinks we dodged the bullet of the G5. Future State IS the G5 project with another name.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with G3 or G4.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I WANT THAT BEAUTIFUL MULLET BACK!

*ahem*
    At the start of the summer I gave myself a nice summer buzz. So by nature everything was even. I've let it grow out since then since I don't mind longer hair in fall/winter, and it always damn near grows out mullet-like. How I ask?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Meaning that American society is in a pessimistic, angry Batman era rather than in a hopeful, caring Superman era?
    Tickles me that people think the 30s when he debuted and the Great Depression was raging, the 40s when America entered WWII, the 50s when the Red Scare and nuclear apocalypse loomed over life, the 60s with the Civil Rights movement, or the 70s with Vietnam and Watergate were “hopeful, caring eras”. Superman does great in turbulent times, characters in his mold such as Cap and WW have succeeded just fine in the modern era. What’s killing him is the incompetence of the people in charge of handling him, not that Americans just don’t “hope hard enough anymore”.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Man reading this thread and seeing some stuff that happened since the last time I was reading his comics, it must be a super power for me to avoid **** when it's about to happen...

Back in Tom King's Batman run, I dropped it at around the time of that "Everybody loves Ivy" arc 'cause I thought his run was hella boring, meaning, I dropped it right before The Gift (Shitty time travel story with Booster Gold where he thought that what Mongul did to Supes in "For the man who has everything" was a great idea, and I'm not joking), and I only learned of the marriage not happening in Batman#50 a few weeks later.

Similarly, with Superman, I dropped it before Bendis took over (Think my last issue was AC#1000, and Bendis' story being a prologue for his run was meh), and I only checked out some of Bendis' stuff afterwards... So all of this stuff about Jon being pushed at the cost of Supes being screwed over, I wasn't exactly seeing it as it was happening.

So, yeah, compared to you guys, I don't have as much to complain about since I haven't seen as much of the bad stuff and only heard about some things (Like the Injustice movie), and the stuff I've heard is horrible, it's salute-worthy y'all keep going in spite of it all, 'cause I definitely would've jumped ship for a while if I was around when they were happening, can only hope it someday gets better.

...not that Americans just don’t “hope hard enough anymore”.
    Just read a pretty interesting blog post about this idea, that "American's just don't hope hard enough," in harsh criticism of Rebirth specifically, on David Mann's tumblr.

To quote:

Quote Originally Posted by David Mann
    the real crux of it for me beyond the weak storytelling, uninspired ideas, and threadbare characterization driving it comes down to this damn page:

Gosh, why you gotta be so mopey? Cheer up, it’ll all work out! Look at that big strong nice man holding his adorable nuclear family protectively and telling that mean ‘ol cynical sneering city-slicker what for!

[...]This is Superman as family authority figure, as Americana signifier, as away from the noisy seedy big city, as literally a cosmically retro figure in-universe for the first chunk of the run where he’s a refugee from the previous DCU, as the dude whose kid calls him ‘sir’ and who spends two issues taking his family on a patriotic vacation where he and Lois valorize the Korean War and complain about modern movies making crime look cool. This is Superman as The Man, full stop, proud and tireless defender of the sacred status quo who’s here to let you know that everything is now, and always has been, just fine so long as you listen to the USA’s Super-Dad.

[...]there’s such an air here to me of condescension and contempt and at best small-c conservatism (except when I remember that, oh yeah, the Korean War thing, that C ain’t small) when right after we had t-shirt Superman taking down corrupt business moguls and wrecking white supremacists, this guy, a guy framed in-text as a superior replacement, is offering platitudes on family values and redoing What’s So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way? The guy built for fans who earnestly believe that ‘Superman’s SUPPOSED to be dopey and whitebread and corny and retro, that’s his charm!’, the safe sanitized wholesome image DKR was righteously taking the piss out off 35 years ago.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    The last great Superman I read was pre-Flashpoint.
    Yeah, same with me. Superman comics have been at a low for a long time. I'm a Batman fan, but so disappointed in DC's handling of Superman, it's like they just don't care.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”