Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Yes, I need some Silver Age reprints especially!

I need some Bronze Age reprints already. I've got "Kryptonite Nevermore" "Superman vs Muhammad Ali," the Mongul stories, and Jack Kirby's " Jimmy Olsen" and that's... kind of it? All the other Bronze Age comics I have are mostly in original copies because apparently DC just wants to keep Maggin and Bates hidden away from future generations forever? Frustrating at times to be honest.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Tickles me that people think the 30s when he debuted and the Great Depression was raging, the 40s when America entered WWII, the 50s when the Red Scare and nuclear apocalypse loomed over life, the 60s with the Civil Rights movement, or the 70s with Vietnam and Watergate were “hopeful, caring eras”. Superman does great in turbulent times, characters in his mold such as Cap and WW have succeeded just fine in the modern era. What’s killing him is the incompetence of the people in charge of handling him, not that Americans just don’t “hope hard enough anymore”.
    On a somewhat related note... interestingly enough they did a study once (who “they”are I don't quite remember ) and came up with a definition for “the good old days.” It was a loose definition and it’s variable based on how old you are. But generally speaking, the study found that people are wistful for a time in their life X amount of years in the past, roughly 30-40 years or so. For example, if you’re 80 years old, then X would be the good old days for you; If you’re 60, then the good old days may be Y; and so forth. Not necessarily warts and all, but dropping the warts altogether for the most part. Kind of like looking at the past through blinders I guess, either consciously or subconsciously.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 12-22-2021 at 06:48 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by gorosaurus View Post
    Yes, I need some Silver Age reprints especially!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I need some Bronze Age reprints already.
    My problem is I don't like how the colours look in modern offset print runs. When I pick up my reprints and look through them, I have to hold back my disgust. Technically, the flat colour looks exactly the same as in a letterpress run--but it's the amount of colour on the page that looks wrong. The pencillers and inkers created their work with the knowledge it would be used in a letterpress run, so that factored into how they composed the page. If they had known it was going to be in an offset print run, they could have put more detail into the art, knowing that fine details would be printed. When I watch youtube videos on old comics and they use these reprint pages--instead of original comics pages--it makes the great artists look stupid for having composed such bad pages.

I still love the SHOWCASE PRESENTS and I wish that they just kept doing those. And re-issued some of the volumes that I missed the first time around. With no colour, one can appreciate the beauty of traditional ink work.

I never bought KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE when it came out, because it used scans. But now I'm thinking that was probably better than if they had tried to reconstruct Swan and Anderson's pages and coloured over them with that thick colour. Scans are probably better--with modern technology, they could do higher quality scans that aren't so muddy as those they did in the past. And even with reconstructions, I'm sure there's a way to construct colours that makes them look how they would in a letterpress run--with the bigger ben-day dots and greater space between the dots.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 12-23-2021 at 06:27 AM.

I'm guessing the Home trilogy for Spiderman is what Snyder wanted to do with Superman. But he sucks as a director and WB tried to shove everything in all at once and that's why the DCEU failed

Damn Twitter went in on Superman lol

Pretty brutal wake up call that DC has done such a terrible job with him that there’s an entire generation with zero attachment or interest in him whatsoever.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Retired

Pretty brutal wake up call that DC has done such a terrible job with him that there’s an entire generation with zero attachment or interest in him whatsoever.
    I was watching on youtube the other week--I believe it was Charts with Dan--where he did a deep analysis of how many people are on twitter and how many of those are active influencers and it was a very minuscule amount.

The news media magnifies the importance of twitter, instragram etc.--but it really isn't that huge a demographic. So I wouldn't take it to heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was watching on youtube the other week--I believe it was Charts with Dan--where he did a deep analysis of how many people are on twitter and how many of those are active influencers and it was a very minuscule amount.

The news media magnifies the importance of twitter, instragram etc.--but it really isn't that huge a demographic. So I wouldn't take it to heart.
    I don’t take it too seriously since I think only 5% of America is on Twitter and only 1% of Twitter accounts are making the majority of Tweets. And they go in on Batman a lot too

Still I certainly keep hearing so many of the same complaints about Supes that are being brought up there and it’s just baffling. I want to get my hands on the Superman stories where he’s perfect and dominates everyone else like people keep saying because I’ve gotten more stories where he just gets wrecked or makes serious mistakes in the past decade. Clearly I’m missing out on what everyone else is watching
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

192k likes...Jesus. this all falls on DC and WB for mismanagement. Had they actually had a competent writer and director who understood the character for MOS we wouldn't be here.

Well, in fairness. I probably wouldn't want to see that movie either since NWH didn't interest me either.

lol, scrolled down and this attracted Snyder cultists like moths to a flame.

I don’t take it too seriously since I think only 5% of America is on Twitter and only 1% of Twitter accounts are making the majority of Tweets. And they go in on Batman a lot too

Still I certainly keep hearing so many of the same complaints about Supes that are being brought up there and it’s just baffling. I want to get my hands on the Superman stories where he’s perfect and dominates everyone else like people keep saying because I’ve gotten more stories where he just gets wrecked or makes serious mistakes in the past decade. Clearly I’m missing out on what everyone else is watching
    They do on Batman too? But I think this is just, like you said, shows how much WB has messed up. Like you guys come up with great ideas all the time for storylines and movies and even games. So how does a milti millionaire company does not is beyond me.

Retired

But for a few old timers, most of the people I see on youtube talking about comics have not got a clue. They just repeat what they've gathered from other sources and haven't read a great deal from the actual comic books. Nobody has the time to research this stuff--they might do a google search and read a synopsis and that's about the extent of their knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    They do on Batman too? But I think this is just, like you said, shows how much WB has messed up. Like you guys come up with great ideas all the time for storylines and movies and even games. So how does a milti millionaire company does not is beyond me.
    Twitter dunks on Batman all the time lol, they love bringing up how Batman is a mentally ill weirdo who could use his wealth to save Gotham instead of spending it on tacticool gear. That said Twitter doesn’t dunk on Cap or Thor anywhere near as much as Supes, and that’s entirely because of those two being successes on the film side while Supes has been a failure.

Twitter dunks on Batman all the time lol, they love bringing up how Batman is a mentally ill weirdo who could use his wealth to save Gotham instead of spending it on tacticool gear. That said Twitter doesn’t dunk on Cap or Thor anywhere near as much as Supes, and that’s entirely because of those two being successes on the film side while Supes has been a failure.
    Twitter sucks so their opinion doesn't matter. But I wish WB had their own Kevin Fiege. Someone that can work on both worlds. I guess they tried with John's but they should have just picked Morrison.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

YES PLEASE! ALL OF THIS! Only in the end, the Routh Superman becomes the official one.
    Assassinate Putin!