Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I'll defend him simply because he moves superhero comics forward; I like him because he's not a slave to canon.

Canon destroys creativity [SEE: constant reboots and resetting the status quo]

I understand why some would dislike it especially if they like the stuff from back in the day; nevertheless, this convo is off topic for this thread.
    The only way it could destroy creativity is if someone lacks imagination. Characters don't have to stay stagnant. People change in real life. It's just change should be natural and developed. Not whelp, this is happening now without any explanation how we got here.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Emma Frost the Iron Queen?

Hope not is a Vs series or event.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I would say that (and this applies to all marvel characters) any space adventures need to involve a measure of grovelling before Brand and/or Storm, if only because her being Regent has to matter or what was the point of it
    I think that's wishful thinking. The governments of Earth aren't going to accept Arakko's claim over the Sol system, and Wakanda in particular will NOT accept and will NOT not take kindly an outside power trying to turn them into a conquered province, colony or protectorate...

I think it is more likely the story will be about the conflict provoked by the mutant claim over the whole solar system.

Worst case scenario, the Pangalactic Wakandan Empire learns about it and sends a huge ass fleet to liberate Wakanda.

EDIT: I wonder if the Pangalactic Wakandan Empire was created by Marvel writers to avoid the confict between Wakanda and Krakoa entirely; since Wakanda would be considered a piece of the Pangalactic Wakandan Empire in the Sol system, maybe they wouldn't consider themselves affected by the whole Sol System Regency thing...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Emma Frost the Iron Queen?.
    I don't see it. I don't see any chemistry between them...
    Last edited by Habis; 12-12-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    The only way it could destroy creativity is if someone lacks imagination. Characters don't have to stay stagnant. People change in real life. It's just change should be natural and developed. Not whelp, this is happening now without any explanation how we got here.
    Adding to this, Bendis grand idea for the Avengers was to turn them from a group who regularly fought space empires, time traveling conquerors, and gods to a group who feuded with some ninja’s and a two bit gangster with a magic hood. He also needed to either kill or character assassinate several avengers on the way to accomplish this Herculean feat of storytelling.

Did someone mention Ziggy Karst? My Ziggy sense is tingling.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Adding to this, Bendis grand idea for the Avengers was to turn them from a group who regularly fought space empires, time traveling conquerors, and gods to a group who feuded with some ninja’s and a two bit gangster with a magic hood. He also needed to either kill or character assassinate several avengers on the way to accomplish this Herculean feat of storytelling.
    It’s funny ‘cuz it’s true!
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    The Phoenix lore has so much freaking potential... but I don't trust any current Marvel writer to know how to handle it.

So, the best outcome is maybe that rumored Emma/Stark wedding? I'd rather this be a "union" story that exposes all the tensions amongst certain individuals forced to work together. Duggan is good with Emma, so maybe he'd be good for a solo?
    There is no Emma/Stark wedding. Waid already said there were never really any plans.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    You mean straying from the canon where once the Avengers fought space empires to them fighting with the Hand or the Hood?

And you wonder why slavishly sticking to canon stagnates good ideas.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    There is no Emma/Stark wedding. Waid already said there were never really any plans.
    He also said he'll do it if he has to, if no other writer does it

She has a restraining order against him and hates his guts for AvX

If you have to marry a princess off marry Polaris.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 12-12-2021 at 04:22 PM.

You mean straying from the canon where once the Avengers fought space empires to them fighting with the Hand or the Hood?

Wouldn't it only count as straying from canon if it were an adaption not featuring the former or treating the former like it never happened? More like straying in terms of approach.

Astonishing Member

And here is the thought process that almost got the Fantastic Four as a suburban sitcom with whacky hijinks, got us the original Heroes Reborn, and the Thunderbolts turned into an underground fighting ring. You want to change a team, do it well, not randomly ripping cannon to shreds so you can have the story of how earth’s mightiest heroes struggle with their greatest enemy yet, man with gun and magic rocks. Heaven forbid anyone think the Avengers could have had more potential than a discount version of Heroes for Hire just because Bendas has to have his stories street level.

Also, the hell was wrong with the Busiek Avengers run?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Also, the hell was wrong with the Busiek Avengers run?
    Nothing is wrong with it, but stories can and should change if not then there is only stagnation.

Imagine if the X-Men didn't change then we would still have them in the mansion fighting Magneto and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

If you love the old stories they're always there to reread.

I love the pre New 52 Bat books and hate the new stuff, I don't demand that the new stuff revert back because they're not to my taste. I go back to my we'll and discover new things I love about the old stories.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 12-12-2021 at 07:08 PM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I think there are other Avengers (and Avengers adjacent characters) who could have made a better fit for the Phoenix: Mantis, Moondragon, Firebird (Bonita Juarez), Sundragon, Tamara Devoux (former Captain Universe)...

Or they could have just used Captain Universe to fill the role of the Phoenix.

But I think they wanted to prop Echo, I guess...
    She should have just became Captain Universe. Making her the host of the Phoenix made zero sense.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 12-12-2021 at 09:10 PM.

I mean forgetting even his own canon. Which was only months before. He's good if you have short term memory loss and just don't care. Otherwise his stuff is lazy and makes no sense.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.