Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    And the fact they can't get OC's to stick nowadays so hence have to use pre-existing characters to get traction.Same reason why their has been a massive boom in legacy characters. They can't get any of their new creations to stick so they use existing heroes and their fanbases to get traction.
    I feel like Flash Thompson becoming Agent Venom was another example of this, some random dude from Spider-Man's history being powered up, rather than a new character being introduced. As a fan of more modern original characters, this trend of picking random side-characters / girlfriends introduced in the seventies and powering them up (usually with the same powers as the characters whose books they once showed up in, like She-Thor Jane, She-Spider Gwen, She-Iron Pepper, etc.) is kinda boring.

There are ways in which a character could have thematically similar or related powers, without just being the same as the super-dude they used to date. Jane becoming a Valkyrie is one step in a better direction, but Pepper having a different role (such as her Hera role during The Order series) or Gwen using technology like the spider-slayer suit to compensate for not having actual powers, would be more interesting to me than just exactly copying the menfolk.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel like Flash Thompson becoming Agent Venom was another example of this, some random dude from Spider-Man's history being powered up, rather than a new character being introduced. As a fan of more modern original characters, this trend of picking random side-characters / girlfriends introduced in the seventies and powering them up (usually with the same powers as the characters whose books they once showed up in, like She-Thor Jane, She-Spider Gwen, She-Iron Pepper, etc.) is kinda boring.

There are ways in which a character could have thematically similar or related powers, without just being the same as the super-dude they used to date. Jane becoming a Valkyrie is one step in a better direction, but Pepper having a different role (such as her Hera role during The Order series) or Gwen using technology like the spider-slayer suit to compensate for not having actual powers, would be more interesting to me than just exactly copying the menfolk.
    Except that with Flash, it wasn't random.

He'd been a soldier and disabled prior, and his struggles to control the suit complimented his character development pretty damn well.

I think a big problem is that now comic book movies are becoming popular, writers don't wanna hand over their ideas to Marvel for pennies. So they're forced to use existing characters when they wanna do something new(ish)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Except that with Flash, it wasn't random.

He'd been a soldier and disabled prior, and his struggles to control the suit complimented his character development pretty damn well.

I think a big problem is that now comic book movies are becoming popular, writers don't wanna hand over their ideas to Marvel for pennies. So they're forced to use existing characters when they wanna do something new(ish)
    That'll only hurt Marvel in the end

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Marvel not sharing profits with writers, or constantly recycling existing characters?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Marvel not sharing profits with writers, or constantly recycling existing characters?
    I think the first leads to the second, if I'm interpreting your post correctly

Not sure who came first but wanted to get Bobbi Morse into the mix.

She debuted as a supporting character for Ka-Zar in Astonishing Tales 6 (1971)…

…and became Mockingbird in Marvel Team Up 95 (1980)…:

EDIT
    I just read that Bobbi also went very briefly as The Huntress, debuting that identity in Marvel Super Action 1 (1977)…:
    Last edited by Riv86672; 12-12-2021 at 07:47 PM.

She’s not a silver age love interest but I hope a future Black Panther scribe can get in on this trend with Monica Lynne.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Maybe but they avoided it for 60 years. I imagine they'll avoid it a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    She’s not a silver age love interest but I hope a future Black Panther scribe can get in on this trend with Monica Lynne.
    She could be a recruit for the Dora Milaje.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Didn’t she die of cancer in the 2018 comics,

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Not sure who came first but wanted to get Bobbi Morse into the mix.

She debuted as a supporting character for Ka-Zar in Astonishing Tales 6 (1971)…

…and became Mockingbird in Marvel Team Up 95 (1980)…:

EDIT
    I just read that Bobbi also went very briefly as The Huntress, debuting that identity in Marvel Super Action 1 (1977)…:
    Yeah. They had to change it due to the Huntress associated with Batman and the JSA.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Didn’t she die of cancer in the 2018 comics,
    In one of the stories of the annual. But I always figured they could retcon that and say it happened in another timeline. Lol.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member

And now Clea has taken over the Dr Strange role.

Well not just marvel as dc had lois lane become a superhero with powers at least 4 times in the old lois comics and jimmy became turtle boy (?)

As for marvel don't forget bluebird in untold tales of spider-man who was in spideys first story decades before she became a hero in the comics.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Probably doesn't count, but a personal favorite would be...

Betty Brant
    That costume! Just… just… no.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't mind as long as the character is fun. gives her more to do as a character, hopefully.