Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Yet ANOTHER relaunch…You in or out?

Preface this by saying I’m not trying to piss in anyone’s pool but with 9 potential new #1’s for the X-line…I’m curious to ask, are you jumping in or out of said pool and why? I’m aware the details and creatives are not all revealed yet, does that matter anymore? I myself have not begun HOX/POX so I’m not able to judge. I painfully digested 22 issues of Matt Rosenberg, who I feel couldn’t write copy for a menu, but I was recommended to try Hickman’s X stuff. I enjoyed his FF, hated his Avengers, so I’m curious to see what the community thinks, loyalists and deriders both. Looking for discourse, not snark..

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I'm a writer loyalist, I follow writers and not characters and I ride or die for Hickman's works and vision.

I was done with Marvel when Secret Wars ended because that was not only the end of Hickman's stellar run but to me the perfect end of the Marvel Universe.

So when I heard not only is Hickman coming back to Marvel, but writing X-Men I was all in.

Every writer in the X-office and was under Hickman and is continuing without him cannot hold a candle to his vision.

And when the "coup" happened and he was leaving not finishing his original plan it was the beginning of the end for me.

Once Reign of X ends and all of the current runs end, I am out. I may dip back in depending if it's really compelling and I mean really compelling.

To me this reeks of what happened to Morrison and when they left X-Men unceremoniously (and never came back to Marvel because of it) I left the X-Men too.

I am currently following Hickman's Substack and I am looking forward to seeing him unleashed again, I mean just read East of West which have similar world building going on.

There are TWO writers whose books I will buy a without seconds thought the first being Morrison and the second Hickman.

Both writers are what brought me back to comics in my adulthood Morrison brought me back to X-men/JLA/Batman and Hickman brought me to FANTASTIC FOUR which I never read before and then the rest of his Marvel works.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 12-12-2021 at 12:29 AM.

I’m all in. This is the best X-Men has been in years. Why would I stop now?
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Is Krakoa and Polymory nonsense over yet? No? Then I'm still out.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I am honestly just indifferent.

But I own the fact that's my personal taste at work. In general, I have always been someone with a one-track mind. And for some series, there are specific & very few characters whose stories I enjoy, invest in, and am a genuine fan of.

X-Men is the same. I had a handful of characters and developments that quipped my interest but they didn't last long, in some cases fell off hard, and my interest has yet to be recaptured.

2016 was the year of treats for me. And nothing has been as good since, for me. Some stuff in 2018 was tolerable and quipped my interest enough but still didn't bring any true elation out. lol

And it's the same now. Thus far, nothing is being advertised that I am giddy for/ My interest has been quipped with 1 thing but given what that 1 thing is, I don't have faith it will be any good. lol Morbid curiosity has me wanting to see it talked about more via interviews and subsequent reviews. But constant disappointment has me numb to anything bad, outside of laughing about it because it's been standards for decades. A case of learning to make a bad thing fun. lol Join in with the jokes, jabs, and memes. And after a while, you almost look forward to seeing how cringe it is for the purpose of getting to make your jokes.

BANNED

Are they actually relaunching the books that aren't new names? X-Men just started and I hope it doesn't renumber if the direction isn't changing.

Extraordinary Member

All depends on the writer for e.x. Gillen's book is a must buy for me

Other talent isn't iffy so I'll wait for reviews on writers like Duggan, Orlando, etc. and probably won't touch Tini and probably Leah Williams

I'm also very indifferent. I have to say that I've enjoyed Hickman's writing tremendously. If he is good he is absolutely wonderful. But the team he has assembled on the other hand really has disappointed me in the last two years (and so has a lot of Hickman's work in-between House of X and Inferno). So many X-Men series have been bad. I'm sorry to say this about a writer's work but I felt like wasting my time reading Marauders, Excalibur, and others. Other series started with such strong first issues and quickly became blah. I LOVED Way of X # 1, I loved S.W.O.R.D. #1, I loved Planet Size X-Men...but the rest of the series did not match up to these first issues.

...I need comic book series who want to tell a real story and have the freedom to do so. Hickman got all the freedom he needed, so had Morrison. I wished we would get more of that. Just give me brilliant author who writes whatever he/she/they likes for 3 years and then reset and start again...better than having ongoing snorefests...

So for me it is also about the writers. I will quit series faster than before. Comicbooks are such a weird medium. You pay too much for 10 minutes of "fun". I guess Marvel Unlimited is the only format that makes sense to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I'm also very indifferent. I have to say that I've enjoyed Hickman's writing tremendously. If he is good he is absolutely wonderful. But the team he has assembled on the other hand really has disappointed me in the last two years (and so has a lot of Hickman's work in-between House of X and Inferno). So many X-Men series have been bad. I'm sorry to say this about a writer's work but I felt like wasting my time reading Marauders, Excalibur, and others. Other series started with such strong first issues and quickly became blah. I LOVED Way of X # 1, I loved S.W.O.R.D. #1, I loved Planet Size X-Men...but the rest of the series did not match up to these first issues.

...I need comic book series who want to tell a real story and have the freedom to do so. Hickman got all the freedom he needed, so had Morrison. I wished we would get more of that. Just give me brilliant author who writes whatever he/she/they likes for 3 years and then reset and start again...better than having ongoing snorefests...

So for me it is also about the writers. I will quit series faster than before. Comicbooks are such a weird medium. You pay too much for 10 minutes of "fun". I guess Marvel Unlimited is the only format that makes sense to me.
    Well said. I feel the same.

I would be mote excited if the relaunch was actually a relaunch. I love the potential and the unknown that a relaunch usually brings.

Mighty Member

I feel that Hickman's run is the best to come since Claremont's run. Most other writers were just not up to Claremont's high standard of continuity, character development and suspense.

Unfortunately, Marvel produced too many titles in Hickman's run instead of concentrating on a few good titles, some were good and some were bad. Eg. The Sword of X crossover were just meaningless.

Hopefully, Destiny of X will have more integration among the titles.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post

All this

Also everything you said we should get in a relaunch and letting writers be free is the opposite from what we will get.This new era came from them NOT wanting to move on and let writers do what they want but milk what they have dry

Mighty Member

I was interested because of Hickman and stayed for the other writers. I feel this is less of a revamp and more of a continuation, like moving onto a new TV Season rather than doing a new series altogether.
    So for me, I’m all in, some of these books look very interesting and I’m hoping New Mutants and X-force continue.

Gut reaction?

Not much point in staying. Without Hickman, just not much of a point.

That said?

Interesting things have come out of far more unfortunate turns when it comes to comics' publishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I’m all in. This is the best X-Men has been in years. Why would I stop now?
    What he said.

I’m in for at least the books where I know what I’ll be getting at this point… Immortal X-men, X-men and most likely Wolverine and X-Force (which I assume stay with Percy; really hoping his X-Force shakes things up a bit tho). I’ll probably give Marauders 2.0 a shot since I like several of the cast members, and am hoping X-men Red is Ewing’s book and has Cable in it. If so, that would probably become my “go to” book of the entire line. In terms of Knights of X, Legion of X and New Mutants? Right now I lean towards passing, but we’ll see when they’re announced. Cast and creative team could always get me to change my mind there and give them a shot.

But overall? Yeah, I’m in.