Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Maybe if I see something particularly compelling, but after this cool aid drinking Krakoan nonsense, I think my suspension of disbelieve may be totally destroyed and I've lost all capacity to ever be invested in these characters again.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I'm also very indifferent. I have to say that I've enjoyed Hickman's writing tremendously. If he is good he is absolutely wonderful. But the team he has assembled on the other hand really has disappointed me in the last two years (and so has a lot of Hickman's work in-between House of X and Inferno). So many X-Men series have been bad. I'm sorry to say this about a writer's work but I felt like wasting my time reading Marauders, Excalibur, and others. Other series started with such strong first issues and quickly became blah. I LOVED Way of X # 1, I loved S.W.O.R.D. #1, I loved Planet Size X-Men...but the rest of the series did not match up to these first issues.

...I need comic book series who want to tell a real story and have the freedom to do so. Hickman got all the freedom he needed, so had Morrison. I wished we would get more of that. Just give me brilliant author who writes whatever he/she/they likes for 3 years and then reset and start again...better than having ongoing snorefests...

So for me it is also about the writers. I will quit series faster than before. Comicbooks are such a weird medium. You pay too much for 10 minutes of "fun". I guess Marvel Unlimited is the only format that makes sense to me.
    Agreed about Marvel Unlimited. It just doesn’t make sense to buy issues one by one for so little entertainment value, when there’s a really good subscription service available. I may just have to do twelve weeks cold Turkey on X-Men stuff after Inferno.

Extraordinary Member

The factors that would keep me around or make me leave are unrelated to whether there's a relaunch or what happens to Krakoa. Though with the way things are going it looks like I won't be picking up event comics anymore. I bought the Hellfire Gala, Trial of Magneto, and Inferno issues and was let down each time. I won't be reading Live/Deaths of Wolverine, and it'll take a lot to get me interested in any more events.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Agreed about Marvel Unlimited. It just doesn’t make sense to buy issues one by one for so little entertainment value, when there’s a really good subscription service available. I may just have to do twelve weeks cold Turkey on X-Men stuff after Inferno.
    That’s what I did, plus I get the joy of re-reading old favourites without having to toot through boxes in the spare room to find them.

Yes Destiny of X is a relaunch but I appreciate that its still part of the same era. We're not starting from scratch a la Morrison, 'Reloaded', or 'Revolution'.

I feel good about letting certain concepts have a finite amount of time to play out and relaunch when the mission statement has changed or the roster undergoes a major overhaul.

That said, excitement will and should weigh heavily on the execution and the creative teams behind them. Hoping for some good names as Hickman's Inferno is going to be one helluva an act to follow.

Al Ewing needs to get whatever book he wants. They should shower Ram V with money to write something horrific and personal. Marjorie Liu should get a comeback. Black and PoC talent should be sought after. More female/genderqueer writers in addition to the current ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    Preface this by saying I’m not trying to piss in anyone’s pool but with 9 potential new #1’s for the X-line…I’m curious to ask, are you jumping in or out of said pool and why? I’m aware the details and creatives are not all revealed yet, does that matter anymore? I myself have not begun HOX/POX so I’m not able to judge. I painfully digested 22 issues of Matt Rosenberg, who I feel couldn’t write copy for a menu, but I was recommended to try Hickman’s X stuff. I enjoyed his FF, hated his Avengers, so I’m curious to see what the community thinks, loyalists and deriders both. Looking for discourse, not snark..
    IF the relaunch is a jumping off point then it's best to just leave entirely. Because there will be another, and another, and yet another - and that won't change of you read other stuff by either of the big two. Relaunch Addiction is part of how things operate now.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Can someone please explain how Hickman has actually left?

I understand it wasn’t as he planned, but was it his choice to go or editorial?

The Red Dragon

Out. Nothing is exciting, the characters have been less important then the plot since Hickman began, unless that changed with him gone i’m out.

Extraordinary Member

Only Immortal X-Men for me. This era is a dud. A few enjoyable stories here and there despite the pretentiousness of the hype but nothing about this relaunch looks like it is knows what to do with the ideas Hickman brought in (and Krakoa/pod people was just the low hanging fruit).

Not overly optimistic about this relaunch. It just seems more like a rebranding so we can go back to those shiny new 1’s.

For me the investment and therefore my enjoyment of comics, and marvel comics in particular, comes down to the use of characters. If I want some novel concept I would probably go for indie comics. Most often I scratch that itch with books though.

Rogue and Laura are in X-men. So far they have not really done much. Laura is just not written well. Her personality is way off and the writing of her feels phoned in. Yet again her story so far revolves around a romance. Let’s hope Duggan don’t go down that route. Rogue is background. Both of them are probably not moving since X-men is about halfway through it’s first year.

Gambit has been background in Excalibur. When written he has felt more like a joke then a character. Silly comic relief. It’s so far from what Gambit has and should be. If he ends up looking silly it is because he is trying to achieve something. Perhaps as a distraction. This is basic Gambit 101 yet Tini Howard feels far from invested in this. It wouldn’t surprise me if she could give us some good Gambit scenes. If she cared, witch all the evidence points to that she doesn’t. If Gambit ends up under her pen again it’s more years in the desert for Gambit fans. Limbo would be preferable.

I will try Marauders to see if Bishop is fun. Likewise with Ewing’s title to see if she has something fun going on there. Gillen would have been fun but the council bores me. As a concept it’s fun. It just needs I guess other characters for me to get invested.
    Last edited by Malachi; 12-12-2021 at 09:32 AM.

HoxPox got me back to buying comics, and I have every TPB from this era. But I see this new relaunch as an ending for me.

The only book that is still on-going that I enjoy is New Mutants.
    SWORD is ending, and Hellions already did.
    I'm a bit tempted by Gillen's new book, and whatever book Ewings gets, but I don't think I'll get everything like I did during the Hickman era.

Mighty Member

I'll always be some sort of in I guess. But Prior to Hickman, I wasn't really buying copies, just following and shaking my head. Under Hickman, I initially started out buying everything! Then around issue 8-10, I dropped a few books like XForce and Excalibur. And eventually most others too, only getting them for the "special" issues.

This doesn't feel as much of a relaunch though. They are still using Hickman's ideas. Kind of reminds of what happened to Game of Thrones though when the tv show surpassed the books...

I feel we're on the final two seasons of Krakoa and the writing is gonna get really bad except for a few exceptions here and there.

Exactly what FFJamie94 said. I don't see it as a relaunch, but a new season. A jumping-on point for newcomers and a chance to course-correct some books. The Marauders retool is exactly what the book needed. KoX (if it is Excalibur 2) probably won't fix the poor character balancing, but the book'll probably be refocused and have a clearer objective. New Mutants will lead with Magik and occult elements. Even if it's largely the same thing, I'm still pretty invested in the Krakoa era and want to see how it evolves. We have a lot of things to explore in the wake of Inferno.

Plus I need something long-running to pointlessly obsess over. I haven't picked up a DC book since Sideways ended, Yugioh doesn't have a real anime or game right now, Pokemon went downhill years ago. Unless the writing reaches Rosenberg-tier, I'm still in.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post

From what we know Hickman wanted to move on to the next stage/phase of his larger story but the other writers were found of the Krakoan setting and didn't want to leave so he left to give them that.

It sounds like his choice but not because he wanted to but because of but because of the the other writers, again it seems like he did it out of kindness but I feel it may have been more that they would overrule him if it came down to it.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post

I’m pretty sure he left to go work on his own projects.

In regards to the top: I generally follow characters I like, but if they’re not written well then I drop the title. I’ll even peek into other books too.

I did give Hickman’s run and the other books a shot and I’ll give these ones a shot too. If they don’t jive with me then I’ll drop them.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”