Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Magik would be so easy to make a great movie or tv show out of if they just tried instead of gutting her entire origin, personality, and powerset like Josh Boone did. If they could get Bane and Deadpool right after the disasters that were their film debuts in Batman and Robin and Origins Wolverine then they can write a Magik that's not Illyana in name only.
    Magik would work much better on Disney Plus than as a movie. In part because she had such a long journey.

Storm, Dazzler, Magik

I don’t see some of these characters having much of a hook outside of their adventures with the X-men, whereas Dazzler, for example, could be something very unique and different and could definitely stand on its own. The adventures of a mutant rockstar, dealing with things like a psychotic superhuman stalker, corrupt industry executives who want to exploit vulnerable young mutants and even dealing with mutant hate groups trying to “cancel” her (permanently!)… stuff like that.

Emma Frost I kind of see the same way, with the show being more focused on her history with the Hellfire Club and tying into its modern day activities and whatnot. It would be more on the periphery of the MCU and on the fringes of the broader X-men franchise. Whereas characters like Jean and Storm will be much more central to the bigger X-men story, so their stories are more likely to be told there.

Astonishing Member

One thing i learned from the success of the MCU and to a degree the cartoon and tv shows based on Marvel and DC property is that they have a much bigger value in increasing the profile of characters among a larger audience and fandom of these properties than the comics could ever have... if done right that is.

The movies have the massive advantage of being mass consumable, readily accessible, light in continuity (even if you skip a movie you can read up interconnections to other movies or check out the after credit scenes on youtube), compact in story and require little to no gate keeping. Streaming and tv shows have it even easier, though they don't reach the same size of audience.

What this means to me is that anyone with enough basic qualities and good production behind them can rise to stardome of the larger fanbase in the movies and shows, while they will often or always flunder in the comics.

So here are 3 semi-random c-list choices i could still see breaking through if given the right setup.

1. Surge:
    Good powers (see Infamous for what can be done with electro powers), good backstory, solid personality.

2. Cecilia Reyes:
    Not for movies, but as central character in a show about street level presence of mutants (bottom up perspective). Plus usefull powers, heroic but not super heroic job (which also fills out a different category than Doctor Strange since she is not a "high profile" surgeon but ER doctor in the trenches) and rounded character.

3. No-Girl:
    Maybe a joke or maybe i just like to see someone take her as a challenge. Rocket Racoon became a household name. Let's see a young woman who was reduced to a powerfull psychic brain in a jar get her chance.

Honorable mention:
    - Karma. Surge has the cooler powers, which is why i picked her. But Karma has a bigger history and doesn't have the black spot of having been in New Mutants.
    - Oya. Might be percieved as "discount Storm" and her comic version was never particular well regarded, but still has potential.
    - Loa. Again could be seen as "discount Kitty Pryde".
    - Mercury. Female T-1000 on the heros side. Definetly has a coolness factor. But somewhat bare as character.

Not to say other lesser used or valued female characters don't have a chance either. But these are those which i was pondering about.
    Last edited by Grunty; 12-13-2021 at 09:15 AM.

I think it depends a lot on these projects being movies or disney+ shows.

I'll echo a lot of people saying that Storm, Rogue, Dazzler and Emma have enough material without the X-Men to tell a story by themselves. But I don't think Disney+ would be a good place to tell an Emma backstory unless you severely alter a lot of it, and I don't think that a solo movie is in her future. The other three could definitely have a great show or movie. with Rogue and Storm being more set for movies and Dazzler would be fun as a musical/show.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Storm, Psylocke, and Rogue would make the most sense, Storm is easily the most popular and recognizable X-woman, with a ton of story potential and connections outside the X-men. Psylocke has a variety of different avenues they could take the character I heard rumors she was supposed to appear in Shang Chi, and with her divorced from Betsy's backstory it opens up a lot of room for Kwannaon. Rogue could easily be a from villian to hero story, and probably the best one from the X-men, imagine a hook with Mystique and Destiny as her parents, she attacks the Avengers and Carol Danvers before starting her journey to the X-men.

Emma Frost and Dazzler has potential but both stories' would benefit from an ensemble cast opposed to a solo film, Emma specifically would need the Hellfire Club's involvement in order to garner attention. Dazzler I feel could be the opportunity to play with and modernize her story while telling a really unique perspective. Jean, Jubilee, and Kitty are the only ones from the OP that would be better suited apart of a cast. Jean with the 05, Kitty with the New Mutant's era, and Jubilee with the generation X era, respectively.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    One thing i learned from the success of the MCU and to a degree the cartoon and tv shows based on Marvel and DC property is that they have a much bigger value in increasing the profile of characters among a larger audience and fandom of these properties than the comics could ever have... if done right that is.

The movies have the massive advantage of being mass consumable, readily accessible, light in continuity (even if you skip a movie you can read up interconnections to other movies or check out the after credit scenes on youtube), compact in story and require little to no gate keeping. Streaming and tv shows have it even easier, though they don't reach the same size of audience.

What this means to me is that anyone with enough basic qualities and good production behind them can rise to stardome of the larger fanbase in the movies and shows, while they will often or always flunder in the comics.
    The popularity or not of a character has very little to do with whether they can actually support a series of their own.

If you were to extrapolate from this board, by that metric Storm's solo book should be on issue #1000 by now, with several dozen Annuals. And yet she can't get solo book past a dozen issues. By contrast, Dazzler is probably one of the more minor characters, (she certainly doesn't take a lead role in the franchise like Storm, Jean, or Rogue) but she has the longest-running female-led solo book in the X-line.

Popularity and stardom has nothing to do with whether the character can support a solo. And when you look at the MCU, the solo films have all focused on characters who have, traditionally, carried solo books as well (Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Ant-Man, etc.) While a Disney + series offers a bit more flexibility since a limited series on streaming has less inherent risk than a full theatrical release, you're probably still looking at a single season, self-contained arc like Falcon & Winter Soldier, WandaVision, and Hawkeye that basically serves as a "tie-in" between movies, than a multiple-season outing like Loki.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The popularity or not of a character has very little to do with whether they can actually support a series of their own.

If you were to extrapolate from this board, by that metric Storm's solo book should be on issue #1000 by now, with several dozen Annuals. And yet she can't get solo book past a dozen issues. By contrast, Dazzler is probably one of the more minor characters, (she certainly doesn't take a lead role in the franchise like Storm, Jean, or Rogue) but she has the longest-running female-led solo book in the X-line.

Popularity and stardom has nothing to do with whether the character can support a solo. And when you look at the MCU, the solo films have all focused on characters who have, traditionally, carried solo books as well (Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Ant-Man, etc.) While a Disney + series offers a bit more flexibility since a limited series on streaming has less inherent risk than a full theatrical release, you're probably still looking at a single season, self-contained arc like Falcon & Winter Soldier, WandaVision, and Hawkeye that basically serves as a "tie-in" between movies, than a multiple-season outing like Loki.
    Oh touché.

Still i had some fun thinking up characters that would make comic readers or people in the know baffeled if they rise to sudden popularity and promince in the MCU.

Just consider my post above "for fun" rather than an educated guess and belief.

BANNED

I think the comics are investing quite a bit in the women we will see in their own series soon. Storm, Psylocke, Captain Britain, Jean Grey, Emma Frost. I could see Polaris playing a big part in future Scarlet Witch series. I could see a Magik, or a Dazzler series if they got someone who could sing or dance. Magik is getting her antagonist the Goblin Queen, who is challenging her for control of Limbo. I am sure we are going to get a Wolverine aka Laura series.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    I think the comics are investing quite a bit in the women we will see in their own series soon. Storm, Psylocke, Captain Britain, Jean Grey, Emma Frost. I could see Polaris playing a big part in future Scarlet Witch series. I could see a Magik, or a Dazzler series if they got someone who could sing or dance. Magik is getting her antagonist the Goblin Queen, who is challenging her for control of Limbo. I am sure we are going to get a Wolverine aka Laura series.
    I highly doubt there will be half that many solos altogether, let alone for female characters. It's not like the 80s when Dazzler's series was out. X-solos don't sell anymore. We'll find out next week whether Magik is getting a series since we know that whoever the new sorcerer supreme is will be getting a series, but that would be pretty separate from the X-line since it's in Dr. Strange land. If she isn't then I highly doubt she's getting an ongoing. The Magik vs Maddie story would have to seriously boost New Mutants sales for it to enter the realm of possibility. Granted, I think the fact that the next story is focused on Magik is due to pressure from editorial to do something to boost sales, but it's still issue 25 of the series, subject to a 3 month delay, and after an agonizingly long arc which alienated a lot of readers, so it'll need a much bigger marketing push than they've given it so far.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I would buy a solo mini of:
    Rogue, Frenzy, Kwannon, Cece and Magma
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Jean's my favorite but I think the ones that would work the best would be Psylocke, Jubilee and/or Kitty, Dazzler

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt LeBeau View Post
    We all know Feige is a big fan of the X-Men and the best x-men are female, and Disney/Marvel Studios is/will push more female projects in the years to come (started with Captain Marvel, then Black Widow, She-Hulk, Ms Marvel, Ironheart....), and its just a matter of time the female X-Men will get their big moment (both big and small screen)

So lets go straight to the point, with this particular question:

* What 3 X-women should get their own projects in the first 6-8 years of the X-Men at Marvel Studios?

Pic below just for our own pleasure

I don't know if they can support a solo franchise.

MCU - something happened to the X-Men and all mutants before the Thanos snap. There was a Genosha event that everyone on Earth has now forgotten as if it didn't happen.
    At a deserted Xavier institute the camera pulls inside and their are two women making their way through the basement to what appears to be the Cerebro system of the Fox X-Men Universe.
    Jean Grey asks Emma Frost if she actually knows how to bring Cerebro back online. Emma tells Jean that she was able to obtain the original schematics from Amelia Voght who helped Xavier and Magneto build the original incarnation of the system.
    Emma goes into the panel and makes some adjustments. She connects the portable power unit that she and Jean brought with them (conveniently carried by Jean's TK).
    Eventually the system powers up and the computer says Welcome Jean Grey and Emma Frost.
    Jean: "interesting that Charles programmed it to recognize you?"
    Emma: "Maybe he anticipated that one of us would need to use it someday, I bet it recognizes Elizabeth Braddock too."
    Jean: "Do you want to do the honors?"
    Emma: "No Darling, you can go first, and this way if something goes wrong it will be your brain fried and not mine."
    Jean: "You are always so helpful Emma!" Puts the Cerebro helmet on.
    Emma: feeling a little admonished joins her mind with Jean to strengthen them both for the incoming contacts
    Jean: "It's working, it's lighting up, I have multiple contacts. The mutants are still present, just hidden by what we did 5 years ago."
    Emma: "I hope this doesn't undo our work, if the humans realize we exist again then everything we have worked to protect will be lost."
    Jean: "We have to take the risk, after the Thanos incident we can't stay out of things anymore, we have to get involved."
    Emma: "Don't forget, I was on Genosha when the humans bombed it and attacked with the Sentinels. 16 million people died Jean, that's why we erased mutant kind from the minds of all the humans."
    Jean: "I found who we are looking for, Storm is alive and in North America. It looks like she is living in Canada right now, or perhaps she is still in contact with Logan."
    Emma: "any sign of Scott? I know we both lost track of him after the snap."
    Jean: "Cerebro isn't finding him, could it mean he is dead, or imprisoned?"
    Emma: "We know some of the humans had tech to hide mutants from Cerebro, and Sinister is an unknown quantity and we both know he is obsessed with you and Scott."
    Jean: "I could try and find Sinister? It might be dangerous though!"
    Emma: "Not this time, we need a team before we even try to look for him, and I don't want to alert him that you and I are both alive. He already tried to capture both of us. He thinks we died in the explosion at the New York Hellfire chapter, lets let him continue to think we are dead."
    Jean: "Well we have Storm so far, and I have Rogue too. Lets start with the two of them."
    Emma: "Maintain the link for one more minute Jean, I have some tech I created to copy the locations from the interface. This way we can shut down and secure the mansion and we don't have to risk coming back."
    Jean: "Emma, we have company, the O.N.E. has sent operatives to the mansion."
    Emma: "are they using anti-telepath tech? Can we make them not see us?"
    Jean: "No they aren't that prepared, their leaders don't even know about that kind of tech."
    Emma: "Ok, I have the locations, let me erase our presence. Jean, destroy the power unit, just crush it."
    Jean: "I though that cost you a fortune, can't we use it again?"
    Emma: "No, we know for sure now that the O.N.E. are monitoring the mansion, we can't come back here. We need to use my headquarters going forward. I have the Cerebro schematics from the database now, we can rebuild it."
    Jean: "So blow up the mansion?"
    Emma: "Can you do that, can we get out?"
    Jean: "I can use your power device to cause an explosion and I'll shield us with my TK to get us out through the subbasement."
    Emma: "then blow it up, we need to leave no traces."

... Explosion
    X-Men credits shows a quick summary of how mutants erased themselves from the minds of all humans. Movie begins.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I highly doubt there will be half that many solos altogether, let alone for female characters. It's not like the 80s when Dazzler's series was out. X-solos don't sell anymore. We'll find out next week whether Magik is getting a series since we know that whoever the new sorcerer supreme is will be getting a series, but that would be pretty separate from the X-line since it's in Dr. Strange land. If she isn't then I highly doubt she's getting an ongoing. The Magik vs Maddie story would have to seriously boost New Mutants sales for it to enter the realm of possibility. Granted, I think the fact that the next story is focused on Magik is due to pressure from editorial to do something to boost sales, but it's still issue 25 of the series, subject to a 3 month delay, and after an agonizingly long arc which alienated a lot of readers, so it'll need a much bigger marketing push than they've given it so far.
    There are lots of upcoming series with female characters in leading or solo roles already. As actors like Scarlett Johansson leave roles, they have to bring in replacements. In just a few years we’d likely see more than ones I mentioned.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    There are lots of upcoming series with female characters in leading or solo roles already. As actors like Scarlett Johansson leave roles, they have to bring in replacements. In just a few years we’d likely see more than ones I mentioned.
    Ah. You're talking about TV/movies. That's different.