Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah, I think the broad idea of “B, C and D list Batfamily members having a show” should, ideally, be a great way to raise the profile of characters like Duke and to strengthen the brand with other characters who’ve proven themselves in comics and are likely untapped sources of great potential. It’s just that this particular string of D listers and an OC feels like it’s a needlessly consulted example of whiffing on a strong-ish concept, if the A-list family members are off limits (since, leeks be honest, that’s still likely a stringer immediate premise.)

Like… here’s a brief idea of how I think you could do it without the A-listers:

“When Bruce Wayne is apparently murdered, his adopted daughter Cassandra Cain is blamed for it, as the media airs out the dirty laundry of her assassin parents. Cassandra, reluctant to unleash her skills on officers of the law, is rescued from custody by her best friend, Stephanie Brown, alongside the meta-human Duke Thomas and tech genius Harper Rowe, under the direction of Michael Lane, a former hero and villain who Bruce helped overcome his inner demons a long time ago. Now, this team must uncover who murdered Bruce Wayne…”
    Now see here, don't show up CW by making a far more interesting premise than what they've come up with!

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    The Batgirl in Batwheels is Cassandra. She seems to be chosen for diversity, since tech genius doesn't really fit Cassandra.
    Yeah, both Babs and Steph better fit that description than Cass. But Cass's normal depiction wouldn't be suitable for a preschool show, and yes, the other two are both white, so you're probably right about it being a composite character - Cass's name and ethnicity with Barbara's personality and skillset.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    TBF, Ryan Wilder (current CW Batwoman) hasn’t really been used all that much in the comics aside from a single appearance, so DC doesn’t really do the synergy stuff as much as Marvel does.
    She's appeared twice I think. And she isn't Batwoman in the comics. First appeared in Batgirl #50, which was the final issue of that run!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm surprised they're using her as Robin and not the OC kid. Like, what's the point of him anyways?
    I assume this character is a composite, and they gave him an original name because of Titans using Dick, Jason and Tim. As for why he isn't Robin... I assume he's going to wear the Bat suit.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Bluebird

I’ll probably watch for Bluebird.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I assume this character is a composite, and they gave him an original name because of Titans using Dick, Jason and Tim. As for why he isn't Robin... I assume he's going to wear the Bat suit.
    Keep trying to give us Batman without Batman.

Extraordinary Member

So if I'm understanding this right, most of these Batman-without-Batman shows are reluctant to even use characters like any of the Robins (with the notable exception of Titans, of course) because they may appear in the movies? And while I understand that most every character has their fans, the only one's available to use are characters like Bluebird and The Signal? I mean, I guess I can understand Batman, but you're already cutting yourself off at the knees not including him. Not even being allowed to use any of the Robins is pretty much amputating both the legs and the arms.

Although from a creative standpoint, I can see the freedom of using lesser-known characters, but I honestly don't see this as the case.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 03-13-2022 at 12:39 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    So if I'm understanding this right, most of these Batman-without-Batman shows are reluctant to even use characters like any of the Robins (with the notable exception of Titans, of course) because they may appear in the movies? And while I understand that most every character has their fans, the only one's available to use are characters like Bluebird and The Signal? I mean, I guess I can understand Batman, but you're already cutting yourself off at the knees not including him. Not even being allowed to use any of the Robins is pretty much amputating both the legs and the arms.

Although from a creative standpoint, I can see the freedom of using well-known characters, but I honestly don't see this as the case.
    It's not just the movies, it probably matters if they're prominent in another adaption too, like Titans.

It's not just the movies, it probably matters if they're prominent in another adaption too, like Titans.
    Is Jason (for example) even going to be in Titans after last season? The creators did do a good job of character assassinating him there. And Damian, while biological, only has that Super Sons project coming up. No ongoing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Is Jason (for example) even going to be in Titans after last season? The creators did do a good job of character assassinating him there. And Damian, while biological, only has that Super Sons project coming up. No ongoing.
    He has his merry little Batman’s movie

Extraordinary Member

Ugh. It's depressing that a show that bad is considered prominent.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Ugh. It's depressing that a show that bad is considered prominent.
    The number of viewers place it in the prominent category. Some comic readers might have issues with the show but the numbers and the ratings don't lie. The vast majority of the target audience enjoy and support The Titans TV series.

The sad reality that these shows just like most outside media material aren't done with comic readers in mind. They are made for the general public who have little to no knowledge of comic lore which is why studio's can make and get away with out there choices that confound comic fans.

If the story and execution is decent then the show will do well even while featuring only obscure batfam characters and and a character that doesn't exist in the comics.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    The number of viewers place it in the prominent category. Some comic readers might have issues with the show but the numbers and the ratings don't lie. The vast majority of the target audience enjoy and support The Titans TV series.

The sad reality that these shows just like most outside media material aren't done with comic readers in mind. They are made for the general public who have little to no knowledge of comic lore which is why studio's can make and get away with out there choices that confound comic fans.

If the story and execution is decent then the show will do well even while featuring only obscure batfam characters and and a character that doesn't exist in the comics.
    Yeah. I guess I've lived long enough to know that tripe sells.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Titans has serious flaws but at least for most of the major characters, you can count on an attempt at comic-accurate costumes, comic-based storylines, and villain plots that don't always drown in melodrama. Some characters and storylines are weak, but once in a while an episode really nails it.

This premise sounds like the CW leaning into its worst habits; a world based on an absent character, ignoring established characters in favor of fringe or original characters, a focus on youth (expect plenty of dramatic speeches)...I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Titans has serious flaws but at least for most of the major characters, you can count on an attempt at comic-accurate costumes, comic-based storylines, and villain plots that don't always drown in melodrama. Some characters and storylines are weak, but once in a while an episode really nails it.

This premise sounds like the CW leaning into its worst habits; a world based on an absent character, ignoring established characters in favor of fringe or original characters, a focus on youth (expect plenty of dramatic speeches)...I'll pass.
    I don't think there's anything preventing comic accurate costumes here, at least for the canon characters they've confirmed their costumes shouldn't be difficult to adapt.

(I think the villain plots are usually the least melodramatic, although it probably depends which villain we're talking about...)

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I don't think there's anything preventing comic accurate costumes here, at least for the canon characters they've confirmed their costumes shouldn't be difficult to adapt.

(I think the villain plots are usually the least melodramatic, although it probably depends which villain we're talking about...)
    It sounds like the villains' kids are teaming up with these next generation heroes, no? It's going to be full of love triangles and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    It sounds like the villains' kids are teaming up with these next generation heroes, no? It's going to be full of love triangles and whatnot.
    The only confirmed villain kid so far is Duela. For the sake of the story it seems like they'll be protagonists.