Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Well, it seems quiet a lot has progressed for this show since I last paid any attention to it. To be honest, there is some interesting stuff here, but until I see a trailer I guess my interest level won't rise beyond casual curiousity.

I just don't get this ''Turner Hayes'' business. Is this still a psuedonym for someone like Dick or Jason? Or literally an OC? Is this a universe where the likes of Dick. Jason, Tim etc. didn't exist or is this Turner the latest orphan Bruce adopted? Was this Turner actually ever Robin, or some kind of sidekick to Batman prior to the series (I assume he'd have to be to have the skills requires to kick ass here)?

So far I'm also not seeing the ''villain's kids'' angle. As far as I remember, Harper Row's parents aren't villains (one of them is abusive, but not a Bat-villain). Neither are Carrie Kelly's. Duela Dent is the only one who's a villain's kid. Are there going to be others yet to be cast? But if so, how many people are going to be on this 'team'? With Turner, Harper, Carrie and Duela we've already got four...so I guess maybe one or two more? So isn't it actually a few sidekicks/young heroes with maybe 2-3 villains kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So, another CW OC.

Its like they DON'T want DC fans to watch.
    The Arrowverse has done wonders with some of their OC's. And I love the OC's on a show like Legends of Tomorrow, which isn't really based on an existing DC concept and has kinda evolved into its own thing. But a show like this, which is pretty heavily reliant on the Batman mythos, can't just make do with OC's...especially not as the lead.

I mean, even on Batwoman, they didn't start the show with an OC. And even when they replaced her with an OC, she stepped into the established role of Batwoman. Here we don't even know what role this Turner Hayes is going to be playing. And maybe Turner Hayes could be a great character on some other show only tangentially related to anything DC like LoT. But as the lead character on a show all about Batman, the one franchise that the average viewer would know more about than almost any other, its a weird choice to say the least!

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    They aimed for diversity and ended up reinforcing negative racist stereotypes.

They made Tim a street smart mixed race Asian/African American kid of a working class parents who run a takeaway.
    That's a double whammy of stereotypes smooched into one character.

I guess POC Robin can't come from a family so wealthy they own a home in the same neighbourhood as Wayne Manor so they down graded the Drakes finances and swapped private boarding school for the street. SMH.
    Reminds me of this comment I once read on an article about Ryan Wilder where this guy ranted (justifiably so in my opinion) about how black heroes don't get to be billionaires or renowned scientists but instead have to be from ''the streets''. I mean Ryan, on paper, is pretty much a diversity checklist. Its to the credit of Javicia Leslie and some of the Batwoman writers that she's become as beloved as she is. And its why I liked the fact that in Season 3 they add more layers to her backstory and character, with her being the abandoned daugther of one of Gotham's wealthiest and most powerful moguls.

Its sad because the CW actually used to do a lot better when it came to diverse characters before they intentionally started to work on being 'woke'. John Diggle for instance. Or the entire West family on Flash, including Wally (the Nu52 Wally in the comics was a walking stereotype of a ''punk black kid''). Or their race-bent Jimmy Olsen. Or Jax.

If the Ryan Wilder logic had been applied to, say, Cisco Ramon, then Cisco would probably have been the child of a poor undocumented immigrant worrying about his immigration status instead of being a gifted and highly qualified engineer from a wealthy family struggling to live up to his family's high standards.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Reminds me of this comment I once read on an article about Ryan Wilder where this guy ranted (justifiably so in my opinion) about how black heroes don't get to be billionaires or renowned scientists but instead have to be from ''the streets''. I mean Ryan, on paper, is pretty much a diversity checklist. Its to the credit of Javicia Leslie and some of the Batwoman writers that she's become as beloved as she is. And its why I liked the fact that in Season 3 they add more layers to her backstory and character, with her being the abandoned daugther of one of Gotham's wealthiest and most powerful moguls.
    Talking about Ryan, I wonder if the OC kid is going to inherit Wayne Enterprises through the power of plot like Ryan did .

Anna Lore is playing Stephanie Brown.

With sarcasm matched only by her intellect, Stephanie (Lore) was raised on a steady diet of brain teasers and puzzles. She’s honed her skills to become a formidable coder. But her greatest talent might be hiding a less-than-perfect home life.

A character who already appeared in Batwoman. Though that version had red hair and thus looked more like Babs. This girl at least has the comic accurate blonde hair!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

If anyone would make sense in a Batfamily show about "villain kids," Stephanie would be one of them.

Actually I've just noticed that the only prominent male main character is the OC Wayne kid...is this secretly a Bat-Harem show ?

Bluebird

Curious if we have Steph and Harper as close friends or something (ala the comics)?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If anyone would make sense in a Batfamily show about "villain kids," Stephanie would be one of them.

Actually I've just noticed that the only prominent male main character is the OC Wayne kid...is this secretly a Bat-Harem show ?
    Look, I grew up on harem anime from the 90s and early 00s, Tenchi Muyo is my favorite anime series of all time and even I know better than to give the CW any ideas along this line.

Extraordinary Member

Stephanie’s involvement does immediately make me more interested.

…It’s just that OC. It still feels like there’s about 8 dudes who should have a shot before him.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Now I'm wondering if Cass might actually be in it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    They aimed for diversity and ended up reinforcing negative racist stereotypes.

They made Tim a street smart mixed race Asian/African American kid of a working class parents who run a takeaway.

I guess POC Robin can't come from a family so wealthy they own a home in the same neighbourhood as Wayne Manor so they down graded the Drakes finances and swapped private boarding school for the street. SMH.
    This is why you have to be careful with who you hire along with who gets to have the FINAL say.

That is how you get Chuck Clayton on Riverdale from a black writer. While white writers tried to undo that damage.
    Along with the removal of that writer from the Superman show. Who is now screaming racism from the unemployment office with Ray Fisher.

A black Robin from a rich family. Seeing with got Jace Fox and his brother running around-it is possible.
    Supergirl comic-Ben is a high school living by himself in another city paid for by his parents.
    Night Thrasher from Marvel.

So it's not like we don't have examples.

Because this says ABC After school special episode will happen.

Extraordinary Member

The first piece of news that doesn't suggest the show will be total crap from top to bottom.

Bluebird

If she’s in it, wonder if they do the backstory of Cass killing Harper’s mom as a dramatic tension thing.

Extraordinary Member

Harper Row’s actress Fallon Smythe is best friends with fellow actress Piper Curda in real life. I wouldn’t mind if Piper played Cass on the show. She looks the part.

Funny enough, it looks like Piper is playing Avery Ho on the Flash now.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 03-29-2022 at 08:29 AM.

Astonishing Member

Talking about Ryan, I wonder if the OC kid is going to inherit Wayne Enterprises through the power of plot like Ryan did .
    Actually, that would make much more sense given that he apparently will be Bruce Wayne's adopted son.

Ryan gained control of Wayne Enterprises because Kate appointed her as Acting CEO (Kate apparently being Bruce's heir in the Arrowverse, which makes sense). The problem is that Wayne Enterprises, in previous seasons, was treated as a defunct company, not a functioning one with a Board of Directors who would have a say in who the CEO is. And let's not get into the whole ''Bat-team is locked out of Wayne Enterprises because Ryan was coerced into resigning as CEO and appointing Marquis as her successor'' plot-line which makes ZERO sense

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Actually, that would make much more sense given that he apparently will be Bruce Wayne's adopted son.

Ryan gained control of Wayne Enterprises because Kate appointed her as Acting CEO (Kate apparently being Bruce's heir in the Arrowverse, which makes sense). The problem is that Wayne Enterprises, in previous seasons, was treated as a defunct company, not a functioning one with a Board of Directors who would have a say in who the CEO is. And let's not get into the whole ''Bat-team is locked out of Wayne Enterprises because Ryan was coerced into resigning as CEO and appointing Marquis as her successor'' plot-line which makes ZERO sense
    If there had been an actual functioning body of a BoD before the plot of the show required there to be one, no way would they have actually appointed or agreed to have Ryan as CEO with her record, no qualifications, and no tangible connection to the company at all.