Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I can understand that... but then I think someone like Jean-Paul Valley could be swapped in and aged down.

Imagine if the plot point about this inevitably-involved-in-a-love-triangle male lead had to deal with The System, and the reason he was adopted by Bruce was to make sure Azrael didn't ruin his life.
    I feel like Azrael is someone you introduce initially as an antagonist and maybe develop as an ally (or, honestly, AzBats could be a Big Bad if you handle them right) then right from the get-go.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like Azrael is someone you introduce initially as an antagonist and maybe develop as an ally (or, honestly, AzBats could be a Big Bad if you handle them right) then right from the get-go.
    I agree in general, but I feel like even a radically altered Azrael would give me more hope than an OC; I’m just deeply suspicious about how well a CW show can handle OCs versus even adaptations. They tend to be dominated by whatever “function” the creators think that character serves, and at times seem to have little beyond that, while an adaptation usually seems to spark some greater creativity just because you’ve got something to work with.

This OC seems to me like he’s likely being setup to just be the “brooding bad boy” type of love triangle appendage - and I feel like modifying Jean Paul, Michael, Duke, etc, would make me less worried.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I agree in general, but I feel like even a radically altered Azrael would give me more hope than an OC; I’m just deeply suspicious about how well a CW show can handle OCs versus even adaptations. They tend to be dominated by whatever “function” the creators think that character serves, and at times seem to have little beyond that, while an adaptation usually seems to spark some greater creativity just because you’ve got something to work with.

This OC seems to me like he’s likely being setup to just be the “brooding bad boy” type of love triangle appendage - and I feel like modifying Jean Paul, Michael, Duke, etc, would make me less worried.
    Nah. Leave Duke being an all around nice guy. But Jean Paul, Michael, Terry, hell Damian would make for a better lead.

Astonishing Member

And suddenly my interest in this show went up like 200%!

I am a bit alarmed by just how blue it is, though I guess it'll look a bit different after post-production.

One of the things that disappointed me about the Arrowverse Batsuit was how it basically looked like a rip-off of the Nolanverse Batsuit (and to a certain extent that was necessary because in-universe its the same suit that Batwoman wears). Now that we've had two cinematic Batsuits that at least look like the grey-and-black suits from the comics, having a bit of blue in there was the next logical progression.

And if Oliver Queen can wear green and still look like a badass vigilante operating in the dark, then they can make blue work for Batman too!

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...81987874000898

Wow, this is as generic as it gets.

Yeah, I was expecting to see some costumes. That just looks like a typical CW non-superhero ensemble, of the kind Cat Grant mocked back in Barry's guest appearance in Supergirl season 1 (an ironic line, considering that show became a CW show itself in season 2).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

What's worse the new protagonist instead of using Dick Grayson, Jason Todd or Tim Drake as Bruce's adopted, nah they went with a generic OC for the show called Turner Hayes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/s...81987874000898

Wow, this is as generic as it gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, I was expecting to see some costumes. That just looks like a typical CW non-superhero ensemble, of the kind Cat Grant mocked back in Barry's guest appearance in Supergirl season 1 (an ironic line, considering that show became a CW show itself in season 2).
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtStorm View Post
    What's worse the new protagonist instead of using Dick Grayson, Jason Todd or Tim Drake as Bruce's adopted, nah they went with a generic OC for the show called Turner Hayes.
    Along with all that, check out that twitter reaction. Maybe 1 or 2 positive posts, but dozens (so far) calling it "meh", generic, or making their low expectations look impossible.

And not just not using the first 3 Robins, but outside of Steph and Carrie as side characters, NONE of the maybe dozen or so BatKids Bruce has had, including Terry and Matt from Batman Beyond (a little tweaking, and it would have been fine). No Duke or Cass, no Babs or Damian, etc. If had been pretty much any of the established characters from the kids Bruce has mentored, and kept their characterizations, this could have been interesting. But, nope.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

I really want to know what went through WB exec's heads when they looked at this pitch about a series about Batman that uses none of the characters fans want to see, none of their iconic looks, and go "yes, this is going to be a smash hit"

Quote Originally Posted by ColtStorm View Post
    Steph's described as his best friend, so that makes me think that Turner is basically a renamed Tim. I guess we'll see.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I really want to know what went through WB exec's heads when they looked at this pitch about a series about Batman that uses none of the characters fans want to see, none of their iconic looks, and go "yes, this is going to be a smash hit"
    And who thought that promotional image would actually get people excited.

Extraordinary Member

And who thought that promotional image would actually get people excited.
    Eh, probably the same executive at the CW who's main criteria is "Are our young actors hot and broody enough?"

I really hope there's costumes to this, and that they quickly give us an idea of them - the interchangeable hot people promotional material is lazy and possibly working against this show.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

This is problem that WB tends to restrict some characters co-existing at the same time in different mediums, which make no sense as the mutiverse is integral on comic books.

They're ok with Flash and Superman (although Cavill is basically gone and Hoechlin is now on charge after the Justice League 2017 debacle).

The problem is that WB sees Batman as their own poster boy with the most controllative and overprotecting of them all which is why Batman couldn't be named on the Arrowverse because Gotham was airing around that time and once it ended, Batwoman took that void.

Eh, probably the same executive at the CW who's main criteria is "Are our young actors hot and broody enough?"

I really hope there's costumes to this, and that they quickly give us an idea of them - the interchangeable hot people promotional material is lazy and possibly working against this show.
    If they didn't have costumes in this, than I'm concerned they might not have them for a while.