Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default The Twelve Days of Santa Doom - 2021

Back by Popular Demand!!! ( OK, maybe a couple of people in Latveria)

Inspired by the Namor Advent Calendar created by Reviresco!

It's

Inspired By the Classic Tale and the Twelve Days of Christmas song

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-14-2021 at 12:29 PM.

On the First Day of Christmas my true love gave to me

A music box as we sat 'neath a tree

This is probably the most romantic Doom has ever been. But unfortunately this romance with his childhood sweetheart Valeria would have a tragic ending when he traded her soul to the Haazerth Demons in Mark Waid's Unthinkable arc. But we won't get into to the details on that.

At least that isn't the last we've seen of poor Valeria. It turns out that the demons were underlings of Mephisto so she's trapped in Hell, much like Doom's mother had been. Hmmmm.....this is a pretty grim start but the next one will be more cheery.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-15-2021 at 10:19 AM.

On the Second Day of Christmas my true love gave to me
    Two Doomy Bears

And a music box as we sat 'neath a tree

Doomy bear was Doom's comfort plush animal on the greatly missed (by me anyway) Superhero Squad cartoon on the Cartoon Network. Doom was voiced by noted voice actor Charlie Adler whose credits also include Super Skrull and MODOK in other Marvel cartoons and Starscream in the Transformer movies. After being mostly absent from the air waves, except for YouTube video, the Disney Plus channel has added the Superhero Squad cartoon show to their library. I forgot the name of the episode with the Doomy Bear but I know it's in the first season. I'll try and update this when I find it.

Doomy bear was Doom's comfort plush animal on the greatly missed (by me anyway) Superhero Squad cartoon on the Cartoon Network. There was also an online game that lasted longer than the cartoon and was a lot of fun to play. It had a lot of the same voice actors from the TV show. Doom was voiced by noted voice actor Charlie Adler whose credits also include Super Skrull and MODOK in other Marvel cartoons and Starscream in the Transformer movies.

There was also a special toy set that was a San Diego Comic Con exclusive back in 2010. It has Stan Lee's mayor of Superhero City along with Doom, who was in charge of Villainville.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Yay!!! Santa Doom returns! Thanks for doing this, Iron Maiden. It's officially Christmas time, now.

I LOVE Doomy Bear! And I seriously need that Doom from Superhero Squad.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yay!!! Santa Doom returns! Thanks for doing this, Iron Maiden. It's officially Christmas time, now.

I LOVE Doomy Bear! And I seriously need that Doom from Superhero Squad.
    I haven't checked eBay but I was able to get one from a booth at C2E2 a while back. I did see some while scouting on the internet but I don't know if this site is reliable or not. I've never dealt with them. There is one currently up on eBay for $44.98.

I was so disappointed when someone on Etsy I think was offering to make Doomy Bears but they never answered my inquiry.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-14-2021 at 05:55 PM.

oops...nothing to see here
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-15-2021 at 03:47 PM.

On the Third Day of Christmas my true love gave to me

Three Magic Mentors

Two Doomy Bears
    And a music box as we sat 'neath a tree

Each Midsummer's Eve for many years, Doom was hell bent to rescue his mother's soul from Hell and had subjected himself to a duel with a demon in order to win her release. Each time he failed. He had decided that his self taught mystical skills were not enough.

So beginning in Iron Man #149, we see him seek out those with more knowledge, beginning with the mystic Calgliostro. Iron Man became entangled in this quest when a disgruntled minion of Doom's Hauptmann sent them both back through time using Doom's time platform. It was there that Doom made a bargain with the sorceress Morgan Le Fay. She agreed to tutor Doom in the ways of magic and later they would become a lot closer than teacher and student. Over the year Doom would frequently come calling with his time machine for a another "lesson" which resulted in a child named Caroline. AFAIK he has no knowledge of her and Morgan hasn't asked for child support. But they are still friends with benefits and she recently gave him shelter when he was on the run from authorities in Christopher Cantwell's Doctor Doom series.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-16-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

omg awesome, love the 12 days of santa doom!!! great work Iron Maiden!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Thanks ImperiusWrecked!

On the Fourth Day of Christmas my true love gave to me

Four Court Musicians

Three Magic Mentors
    Two Doomy Bears
    And a Music Box as we sat 'neath a tree

One would think that working as a foot soldier in the army or a palace guard one be one of the most dangerous occupations in Latveria. But right up there in that precarious position are muscians. Luckily for the quartet in this scene something came along to distract Doom and they didn't see a thumbs down on their performance. And Doom does insist that the citizens of Latveria share his interests whether they want to or not. One has to doubt that the works of Eminem or any of the rap artists are on Doom's personal playlist.

Writer Christopher Cantwell has said had he continued with his Doctor Doom series that the next arc would involve the creation of an opera.

"...my idea for a second arc was: Doom has a stroke in the first issue, and becomes somewhat incapacitated for a while, leaving his rule vulnerable again.

But, and I kid you not, as Doom reflects on his own mortality, he was going to hire / kidnap the greatest living Latverian music composer and force her to write an opera that was to be the history of Latveria's (and thusly his) glory. But as it gets written Doom begins to reflect on (actual) things he did in his past that weren't so great. So at times he rewrites them to make himself look better and at others he lays it all bare and raw.

It was going to be written entirely from the perspective of the composer. The structure of it came from the film Amadeus, where Salieri is desperately trying to keep up with a dying Mozart as he writes the Requiem."

Maybe if I keep bringing this up here on this board it may actually happen
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-17-2021 at 10:21 AM.

On the Fifth Day of Christmas, Santa Doom gave to me......

FIVE IMPERIAL RINGS

Four Court Musicians
    Three Magic Mentors
    Two Doomy Bears

As far as I know, the only time we see Doom's Imperial Ring is in Daredevil #38 "The Living Prison". Doom kidnapped Daredevil to use in a scheme to gain some payback from the Fantastic Four after they defeated him in FF#60. He switched bodies with Daredevil so that he could gain access to the Baxter Building to attack the FF. But while he's on his way to the Baxter Building, Daredevil, who know is in Doom's body, orders Doom's henchmen to stop Daredevil. So Doom has to prove that he is disguised as Daredevil by showing him his Ring Imperial. But does seem that the ring has some powers. Those thuggish minions seem to be getting zapped by it. I remember reading this as a kid and wondering what the word 'unmitigated' means. That's one thing that Stan liked to do is to throw out this kind of vocabulary and make you look for a dictionary.

Other than the ring and maybe you could count the gold medallions of his cape, we don't see Doom wearing much jewelry. But I imagine when he was dressed in suits during the Infamous Iron Man era, he may have had an expensive watch or two.

Some of the five rings in that picture at the top are ones I found while checking out Etsy and an online auction result. The monogrammed signet ring was sold at an auction back in 2015. It was worn on screen by Julian McMahon in Fox's Fantastic Four movies. The one bottom row middle is owned by long time Doom fan Doomscribe and the other is from a Facebook store Batjeepster Rings for $125. I wonder if he has any more in stock since that post is three years old?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-17-2021 at 10:25 AM.

On the Sixth Day of Christmas, Santa Doom gave to me......

Six Funko Pops

Five Imperial Rings
    Four Court Musicians
    Three Magic Mentors
    Two Doomy Bears

Oh Noooo......the Grinch has photo bombed my shot!

For those who are keeping score, the folks at Funko have come out with six versions of Doom in their neverending production of Funko Pop figures. From left to right are Secret Wars (or God Emperor) Doctor Doom, Infamous Iron Man, the first Doctor Doom Funko (#17) , a later version, Venomized Doctor Doom and Zombie Doctor Doom. I have to keep him separated or he may try and eat the others. The first Doctor Doom can go from anywhere from $17 for a loose figure to $100 - $200 in the original packaging.

I think the consensus here has been the they should come out with a Santa Doom. Let's hope we can have one soon!

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I love the funkos!!! Great posts IM!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Thanks ImperiusWrecked. I hope you like the next verse!

On the Seventh Day of Christmas, Santa Doom gave to me......

Seven Dancing Doombots

Six Funko Pops
    Five Imperial Rings
    Four Court Musicians
    Three Magic Mentors
    Two Doomy Bears

Yes, we have the Dancing Doombots again this year. I think of them as an annual tradition, like the Doomy Bears. Also it makes my job easier and I don't have to come up with something new.

There have been Doombots running around the Marvel Universe almost from the very beginning. The first one shows up along with Doom himself in Fantastic Four #5 when he uses one a decoy. Over the years they've become more sophisticated and are programmed to believe they are Doom except for when in his presence.

My favorite Doombot became a regularly featured character in the recently concluded Runaways series. His origins are in the short lived Avengers A.I. series. He has no real name other than Doombot and has developed a personality of his own. I hope he continues to pop up in comics now and then. I also would like to see meet his maker, Doctor Doom himself one day. Maybe he can become major domo of the castle domestic staff. He does have a a keen sense of style when it comes to clothes, much like his master. Perhaps he will continue to strike out on his own and find his way in the world. But at least with the Runaways, he had found a sort of family of his own.

Anyway, Merry Christmas Doombot!

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-12-2022 at 04:30 PM.