Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

41sL6b1ijzL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I've seen this card bandied about to imply that Urza (Magic the Gathering) is able to just annihilate and remake planes with a snap of his finger, partly going off the flavor text as "proof".

As I understand it, Urza's powerful, but that's not remotely within his ability. The flavor text refers to an event in one of the books where he attempts to destroy the artificial plane of Phyrexia, which required tons of prep work across a war that stretched on for centuries, and used special high-powered Artifacts, targeting the "heart" of the plane in specific in order to wipe out the Phyrexian threat.

If he could just snap away whole planes of existence, the Weatherlight Saga wouldn't have even been necessary. Unless he was just holding out so Wizards of the Coast could sell more books. :B

Unless he was just holding out so Wizards of the Coast could sell more books. :B

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    If he could just snap away whole planes of existence, the Weatherlight Saga wouldn't have even been necessary. Unless he was just holding out so Wizards of the Coast could sell more books. :B
    Well, I just assumed he didn't do it for anyone but the Phyrexians because he isn't evil and doesn't WANT to kill millions of sentients if he doesn't have to.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Well, I just assumed he didn't do it for anyone but the Phyrexians because he isn't evil and doesn't WANT to kill millions of sentients if he doesn't have to.
    Pffft. A true Tournament Champion fights "efficiently." >:B

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    They sure did milk that plotline for a while. :V

Saint Seiya. I've seen soo many so Called "fans" of the series wank even the most mild of hyperbole used in the series up to absurdity that one unfamiliar with it would think even Gold Saints could casually blitz PC Superman and casually over power a fully fed Galactus and Omni-King at the same time. Ranging from using Hades creating his own "hyperdimension" being proof of him being a casual universe buster(we don't know how he made it, or how long it took him, just that it falls apart if he is dead), to the Saints flying through it as proof of the level of speed described above(going out of their way to use a mistranslation from the Spanish version to suggest they searched the entirety of the dimension in hours, ignoring the fact that the English version suggests they travelled a distance much smaller than the distance between one end of our solar system to the other while every single last translation outside of those 2 make no mention of distance, just that they used the wings on their cloths to fly through space).

These guys are powerful, but when a primordial god(strongest type of god btw) needs help from his father(Uranus) to destroy all the constellations? It's painfully clear these guys aren't anywhere near as strong as you see them presented else where.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Saint Seiya is more a matter of something that's just hard to use in rumbles, I think. The author was extremely running on doing whatever he thought was coolest from moment to moment, so there's like zero consistency between any two feats that are more than like five pages apart, and the narrative is really explicit about certain things but then also makes no sense half the time. I don't think a flawless translation would make it any better; even when stuff is visibly happening, it's hard to judge, and everything is always "as powerful as the big bang," or "creating a galaxy in his body," which in-series I've generally taken to just mean that they're drawing on the forces which created the universe, which checks out with how their powers are supposed to work. So much stuff happens in what amounts to reality marbles that it raises the question of how much of it is abstract, but then you've got narrative saying "they crossed X literal distance" or whatever every time Another Dimension gets used (which also appears to be able to do just whatever Saga needs it to do at any given time). I think the easiest thing to do is just describe what interpretation of the characters you're intending to invoke when you answer a rumble.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Saint Seiya is more a matter of something that's just hard to use in rumbles, I think. The author was extremely running on doing whatever he thought was coolest from moment to moment, so there's like zero consistency between any two feats that are more than like five pages apart, and the narrative is really explicit about certain things but then also makes no sense half the time. I don't think a flawless translation would make it any better; even when stuff is visibly happening, it's hard to judge, and everything is always "as powerful as the big bang," or "creating a galaxy in his body," which in-series I've generally taken to just mean that they're drawing on the forces which created the universe, which checks out with how their powers are supposed to work. So much stuff happens in what amounts to reality marbles that it raises the question of how much of it is abstract, but then you've got narrative saying "they crossed X literal distance" or whatever every time Another Dimension gets used (which also appears to be able to do just whatever Saga needs it to do at any given time). I think the easiest thing to do is just describe what interpretation of the characters you're intending to invoke when you answer a rumble.
    I think you hit the nail on the head here. The name of their attacks, are pretty much and indication on how they work, not the scale they work on. So the Galaxian Explosion for example is him creating a small, artificial galaxy, and blowing it up, sending the energy at his opponent in the form of either an aoe, energy ball(s), or energy beam. It's why it is routinely stated as being capable of blowing up any planet or star in the milky way galaxy. Samr goes for the Athena Exclamation, which is basically a re-creation of the big bang, but on a small scale in terms of size and power.

I don't think it's too inconsistent, though you are right in that it can be. I just think that, if one looks at how often Gold Saints and those of comparable stock are presented, and even stated as being able to destroy planets and stars, vs anything else, as well as situations like the Wailing wall which had the Gold Cloths stated as each having a portion of the suns power and thus using them to re-create the suns light and power in order to punch through it, then we get an idea of the level they are generally at imo.

I'm just glad the G series is giving us some more concrete feats in terms of them being light speed, Titans being noticeably empowered by their planet, and Pontos blowing up entire constellations with Uranus.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral