Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    In all fairness, I think worldbuilding is one of Howard's strengths, like she definitely has interesting ideas and I love what she's done in building up distinct parts of Otherworld, like each of the provinces like Sevalith, the Crooked Market, the Everforge, etc, all really feel like they have their own identity. And I'm still intrigued to see her follow through on the hints dropped about Mercator and what he's up to in his own little province now. The problem I've had is that at times its felt like she's more interested in writing her own concepts and just using popular X-Men to push them rather than writing these known and established characters first and foremost and exploring her worldbuilding in the process....like its a matter of prioritization. I don't DISLIKE her new concepts by any means, but my attachment is to the characters first so I'm always gonna be a bit meh about seeing them wasted or treated like square pegs being shoved through round holes in order to make one of her plots work....but I am still hopeful that she can improve on that and make it less of a problem in a more contained series moving forward, where it feels like there's more opportunity for character work while the plot has them definitively split off and separated from all the sweeping largess of Krakoa and its many players.
    Agreed on all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Wow there are a LOT of British mutants!

I wouldn’t mind seeing Micromax here and Spitfire.

Skein isn’t UK but she’s Romanian. I’d welcome her on any mutant team.

S.T.R.I.K.E should increase their number with many of the Brit psychics, Emma Steed, Tangerine, and others.
    Speaking of S.T.R.I.K.E., it would be a fun twist if one or two of the members were joining. I don’t know how well they can fight but perhaps some realms won’t require physical combat for the mission.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

I mean, I'd definitely be here for an Emma Steed addition, no matter how unlikely that is. The original Age of Apocalypse was one of the first things I read in comics as a kid, so its got a huge nostalgia factor for me, and I loved Damask and Switchback from X-Calibre and spent the decades since being like WHY HAS NOBODY MADE THEIR 616 VERSIONS A THING.

I mean, I'd definitely be here for an Emma Steed addition, no matter how unlikely that is. The original Age of Apocalypse was one of the first things I read in comics as a kid, so its got a huge nostalgia factor for me, and I loved Damask and Switchback from X-Calibre and spent the decades since being like WHY HAS NOBODY MADE THEIR 616 VERSIONS A THING.
    For reals. They should just make Switchback's 616 version be Michele Scicluna.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    For reals. They should just make Switchback's 616 version be Michele Scicluna.
    I would LOVE Switchback to be in 616. I believe she is one of the, or maybe the only character from AoA that we never saw a 616 counterpart of.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    We still have Destiny's prophecy about one of the Cuckoos going to underworld.
    Oh yeah, you are right! Forgot that completely.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I would LOVE Switchback to be in 616. I believe she is one of the, or maybe the only character from AoA that we never saw a 616 counterpart of.
    Yessssss, Switchback fans unite, lol. Maybe if we get up to there being a whole five of us we can make enough noise for an X-writer to look her up and see what a gem she is, lolol.

And not to get too far afield from the actual thread topic, but weirdly enough I think the one other AOA character we've never explicitly seen a 616 version of is Liz Guthrie aka Amazon. Granted, its extremely easy to point to the unnamed kids of the Guthrie clan whenever they show up and say one of them is Liz, but for some reason they've never bothered to establish one of the 616 Guthrie kids as being named Elizabeth and with size/mass-shifting powers despite detailing a full blueprint for that character in the AOA Factor-X series. I've never understood why.

We’ve never seen a 616 Sugarman, have we?

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    We’ve never seen a 616 Sugarman, have we?
    No that is why several characters of AoA went to 616 who did not have a counterpart; Holocaust, Sugarman, Rax, and also Nate and Dark Beast

Death and Redroot. I still don't even know what her power is though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Death and Redroot. I still don't even know what her power is though.
    It was vague and kinda established as a couple different things at different points....a couple issues described or labeled it just a form of botakinesis....like telekinetic manipulation of plantlife seemed to be what we were supposed to interpret that as.....while the issue to focus on Redroot the most specified her power being something called a 'field of decay' or some kind of hyper-accelerated decomposition field that could encompass a large area. So I assume whenever we do see her eventually followed up on, its likely to be the field of decay thing, but with a strong possibility that its got backdoor potential to be handwaved as just any kind of generic 'manipulates plantlife/growth' if they ultimately decide the decomposition effect is too limited and want to give her more versatility.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I would love to have Kylun and Spitfire join up. I know Spitfire isn't a mutant but she would be at least helpful in dealing with the vampires of the Otherworld. Kylun as a mimic is helpful, but his swords affecting magic and growing up in Necrom's dimension give him advantages. Cerise would be great but she's an alien and is more important to the Shi'ar (and Kurt) than to these characters. And Feron is a magician but not a mutant, and I don't think him being on a team with Rachel would be good. Micromax could be good?

But one other UK mutant and another from Arrako would be cool and work.

Ultimate Member

Yessssss, Switchback fans unite, lol. Maybe if we get up to there being a whole five of us we can make enough noise for an X-writer to look her up and see what a gem she is, lolol.

And not to get too far afield from the actual thread topic, but weirdly enough I think the one other AOA character we've never explicitly seen a 616 version of is Liz Guthrie aka Amazon. Granted, its extremely easy to point to the unnamed kids of the Guthrie clan whenever they show up and say one of them is Liz, but for some reason they've never bothered to establish one of the 616 Guthrie kids as being named Elizabeth and with size/mass-shifting powers despite detailing a full blueprint for that character in the AOA Factor-X series. I've never understood why.
    The ten Guthrie sibs, as far as we know;

Sam - Cannonball
    Paige - Husk
    Jay / Josh - Icarus
    Melody - Aero
    Jeb - some sort of cold lightning/plasma thing?
    Joelle - ?
    Lewis - ?
    Elizabeth - (in AoA, a growing character named Amazon)
    Cissie - ?
    unnamed youngest sister

It would be interesting to find out if Elizabeth is going to become Amazon in this continuity, as well as what Jeb's actual powers are (was it cold plasma fire/lightning? was it an illusion?) and what sort of mutations (if any) the other siblings are going to end up with.

Bear in mind that Jay was originally Josh, with a mutant voice that could power Dazzler up, and then he became Jay with red feathery wings and healing blood, and Paige was at first a standard shifter who turned into a tiny songbird in her first power manifestation (without ripping her skin off!), and then joined the Body Horror X-Teens and transitioned to someone that rips their skin off to transform structurally... So whatever Jeb's powers were in his first appearance might have nothing to do with what he ends up with, based on the family history.

But I don't remember who Switchback was, so now I have to go Google that.

Astonishing Member

Heh, now that I think of it, how Nightcrawler, Switchback and Damask all combined their powers to defeat the Shadow King in X-Calibre is probably one of the best and most creative 'early' examples of a mutant circuit pre-Krakoa.

Switchback's power was to shunt herself up to ten seconds backwards along her personal timeline, which basically lets her 'rewind' things that have just happened to her and undo them, or use the switchback to where she was just ten seconds ago as kind of a short-range version of teleportation. She got a lot of varied mileage out of her power, including using it to rid herself of what she thought was just a sudden headache out of nowhere, by just jumping herself back along her timeline to her physical state from ten seconds ago any time she started to feel the headache creep up on her again....and then it turned out her headache was actually the Shadow King trying to possess her, meaning her power let her basically eject him and consistently shake him loose before he was able to get a foothold in her thoughts, even though he tried multiple times.

Damask (Emma Steed, mentioned just a few posts ago) was a telepath with a power she called psionic skinning....like Betsy has her psi-knife formed by her telepathy, Damask was able to manifest her telepathy as chains and talon-like scalpel blades of psionic energy.....that she could then use to selectively target and affect specific areas of a person's brain. So she could attack with her chains and blades and turn off the speech centers of a person's brain, lock down their motor functions to paralyze them, ignite their pain sensors or temporarily switch off different senses, as well ramp up a brain's production of various chemicals while shutting off its production of other ones, etc. She also had the ability to disrupt and shred astral forms or psychic projections with her blades.

And then Kurt's teleportation power of course involves him spending a fraction of a second in another dimension, 'the Brimstone dimension' as he basically jaunts out of normal space/time and uses the fact that other dimension doesn't align with any specific location in this one.....to make it an inherent shortcut across this dimension's space/time before transitioning back into real space at a totally different location. Because here and there are equidistant to any point in the Brimstone Dimension, making any location in this dimension that Kurt uses as an entry point to the Brimstone Dimension inherently no different than any location he uses as a re-entry point back from the Brimstone Dimension. So he doesn't actually have to cross any physical space in this dimension, just take himself outside its parameters for a split second to another plane entirely and just drop back into the normal parameters of space from outside of it, once no longer tethered to a specific geographical point.

Meanwhile, the AOA version of the Shadow King, as described by Damask to the others in the X-Calibre series, was able to spread himself across so many minds and travel from one host mind to another across even vast physical distances....because part of his power involved him psychically traversing a lower dimension adjacent to the physical one, where much like Kurt's Brimstone Dimension, space has very little relative meaning and thus 'real world' physical distance isn't much of a factor. In fact, from brief glimpses Damask shared with him of the Shadow King's mind and memories, Kurt wondered if perhaps the nether-dimension he teleported through and the one the Shadow King used to jump from one host mind to another....might be the same place.

And so this gave X-Calibre Kurt an idea. Grabbing hold of Damask and Switchback and teleporting all three of them with no destination in mind, but just rapid jaunts in and out of 'real' space as fast and often as he could, he then had Switchback use her time-jumping power to keep jumping herself back as far as she could as often as she could as they teleported in and out of this dimension and the Brimstone one. With this in effect extending the amount of time she - and the other two teleporting with her - spent in the Brimstone Dimension on each jaunt so that instead of it being just the fraction of a second Kurt usually spends in that other dimension when he 'ports, her constant rewinding stretched out that fraction and extended their 'stays' in that other dimension into enough time for Damask to find the Shadow King's mind and attack it directly with her psionic blades.....with the Shadow King having no way to retreat from her assault like how he usually just ditched host minds in the 'real world' in order to evade and regroup somewhere else...because thanks to their combined powers, Kurt, Switchback and Damask were thus attacking him in the very place that usually served as his escape hatch.

I remember even back then thinking it was one of the coolest and most creative ways I'd ever seen multiple mutants combine their powers, and its just funny that this thread had me thinking of these characters and this particular story in an era that's all about exploring the ways mutant powers can be combined to do things none can accomplish alone....and I'm just sitting here thinking like, damn, I STILL don't think there's any one else using the concept of mutant circuits more creatively than this (outside of like, the Five's resurrections or the omegas terraforming Mars). LOL just funny bit of synchronicity I guess.

Lmao, although actually now that I think about it, another funny little similarity is X-Calibre also is probably the only other story besides Inferno that revolves around Destiny, Doug Ramsey, and Mystique, and a Doug vs Mystique showdown specifically. (In X-Calibre, Destiny had created a hidden sanctuary from Apocalypse that she called Avalon and Doug was her adopted son, thus positioning Doug to be like "what if you got the hell out and took all your trouble with you" to Mystique when she showed up looking for Destiny because of blah blah prophecy bullshit and Doug viewed her as having led Apocalypse's forces to their door.)

Anyway. Weirdly relevant parallel story is weirdly relevant to recent comics I guess, lolol.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 01-17-2022 at 08:49 PM.

In comics or any visual media I prefer powers like Damask who actually has to hit someone. Telepathy otherwise might just be someone concentrating and saying that it's hard to lock on to the opponents mind.

Variant for Knights of X #1. There will apparently be six.
    Design Variant Cover by TOM MULLER
    Teaser Variant Cover by ROD REIS
    Promo Variant Cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA
    Variant Cover by MEGHAN HETRICK
    Variant Cover by FELIPE MASSAFERA
    Variant Cover by SKOTTIE YOUNG

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!