Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Imma stand up for the Gambit fans real quick, because their favorite character was used to help promote a book and then didn’t get used/ used well for 25+ issues. I think it’s plenty reasonable for them to save their money and tap out if the book is relaunched with the same writer. It’s not like they demanded we all boycott the book.

I think we should normalize dropping a book when it doesn’t do it for you as opposed to continuing to spend your money and time on it only to dislike it every month.
    Agreed, one shouldn't keep reading a book that they don't enjoy. Not only for their own happiness/mental health, but because the easiest way to stop an author from writing a book you don't enjoy is to stop paying for them to write a book you don't enjoy. Complaining endlessly on the internet that your favorite is not being written well or that an author is the worst author to ever author will do nothing to change the situation.

No longer spending five dollars a month on a book you dislike will save you time, money, grief and will, eventually, lead to a change in author/direction.

Anywho, I'm interested in the new direction. I love a good "rebellion against the evil empire" storyline and the Otherworld mythos though, so this is right up my alley. The writing on Excalibur HAS been stronger lately; I almost feel like this is the actual story Tini wanted to tell, it just took a while to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    UGH. There is no hope.

Astonishing Member

Oh yay…Excalibur with a different name. So…mutant imperialism, bland villains, underutilized characters, refusing to use Mad Jim Jaspers and I am pretty certain they are finally just going to turn the Fury into a Jobber now. Can we at least do something with Mutant Magic now? Between having recently reread Mazalan Books of the Fallen and reread Strange Academy the magic in these work’s has been a massive disappointment. Also, an interesting villain, please, not just some group whose defining characteristic is “Hates mutants. That’s about what my character is”. You literally have Mad Jim Jaspers right here.

Astonishing Member

So Gambit is still trapped in this stuff, Jubilee is seemingly back in limbo (for better or worse) and Shatterstar is in to have his share of mishandling now.

Okay, here's how we can still win this:

After losing the Citadel to Merlyn and Arthur, Excalibur goes into hiding. They see that Merlyn is a horrible ruler, and he rules all of Otherworld like he did his realm. (There was an old info page that said he was a rule-crazed dictator once his daughter left him.) The inhabitants of all realms are miserable and miss Saturnyne, though they're glad Excalibur is thought to be dead. Excalibur decides to try and stop Merlin's forces, freeing Otherworld and hopefully earning the trust of the people they previously let down. What follows is each member of Excalibur getting their own arc, where they fight Merlyn's forces to free each realm, inspire people to stand up, and gather armies to march on the Starlight Citadel. Along the way, they learn of Merlyn's weaknesses, Arthur's struggles, and more secrets related to Mordred. Everyone gets a piece of the puzzle, and once they're all together, the greatest mysteries of Otherworld will be solved.

Could it be good?
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post

After losing the Citadel to Merlyn and Arthur, Excalibur goes into hiding. They see that Merlyn is a horrible ruler, and he rules all of Otherworld like he did his realm. (There was an old info page that said he was a rule-crazed dictator once his daughter left him.) The inhabitants of all realms are miserable and miss Saturnyne, though they're glad Excalibur is thought to be dead. Excalibur decides to try and stop Merlin's forces, freeing Otherworld and hopefully earning the trust of the people they previously let down. What follows is each member of Excalibur getting their own arc, where they fight Merlyn's forces to free each realm, inspire people to stand up, and gather armies to march on the Starlight Citadel. Along the way, they learn of Merlyn's weaknesses, Arthur's struggles, and more secrets related to Mordred. Everyone gets a piece of the puzzle, and once they're all together, the greatest mysteries of Otherworld will be solved.

Could it be good?
    It could be, but I personally have doubts that will be the ultimate execution. Not from the same office that thought Nature Girl in X-men Green was a possible anti-hero for the new era. I certainly hope that it’s the case, but more often than not with theories of how everything is a long game plan by the author to have the entire run build to some revelation that changes the perception of the entire preceding parts of the run, it’s the fans thinking a lot more than the author about it. And also doesn’t justify just how long the build up has been. 2+ years with very little hints that we should have been thinking that way.

Imma stand up for the Gambit fans real quick, because their favorite character was used to help promote a book and then didn’t get used/ used well for 25+ issues. I think it’s plenty reasonable for them to save their money and tap out if the book is relaunched with the same writer. It’s not like they demanded we all boycott the book.

I think we should normalize dropping a book when it doesn’t do it for you as opposed to continuing to spend your money and time on it only to dislike it every month.
    Honestly. Voice or reason. Thank you King.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    And gambit got one issue where he was useful and he was selling black market pop tarts
    worse, he didn't even get to sell them. he had his pocket picked. by an old lady....

i'm a huge monty python fan, and they wear dresses all the time. but the humor of that scene was lost on me, i'm afraid.

champion Gambit to take over Crooked Market. Jubliee the fairy-whisperer to be the Knight of Avalon (or wherever fairyland is), or use her past experience to defend Vampire-world. Shatterstar for Knight of that place that makes weapons or does war-stuff.

also, ps BSJF...telling people to grow up after you've just name-called does not compute.

Long-time Jubester Fan jubilees_bf's Avatar

Looks like Jubilee and Shogo will both definitely be in Knights of X! I replied to a preview image that Mighty Brunstad posted on Twitter… they are an editor and on the team for Excalibur 26 and Knights of X. They said that they will be in the book, that there are good plans for them, and will be repped in the preview images for the series soon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    worse, he didn't even get to sell them. he had his pocket picked. by an old lady....

i'm a huge monty python fan, and they wear dresses all the time. but the humor of that scene was lost on me, i'm afraid.

champion Gambit to take over Crooked Market. Jubliee the fairy-whisperer to be the Knight of Avalon (or wherever fairyland is), or use her past experience to defend Vampire-world. Shatterstar for Knight of that place that makes weapons or does war-stuff.

also, ps BSJF...telling people to grow up after you've just name-called does not compute.
    Yes, please, get Mad Jim out of that market and have him do something finally. Making him some kooky comic relief character was not a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post

Could it be good?
    I love it. I think they're going to be on the run, potentially trapped in Otherworld if Merlyn destroys the Krakoan gates.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilees_bf View Post
    Looks like Jubilee and Shogo will both definitely be in Knights of X! I replied to a preview image that Mighty Brunstad posted on Twitter… they are an editor and on the team for Excalibur 26 and Knights of X. They said that they will be in the book, that there are good plans for them, and will be repped in the preview images for the series soon.
    Thanks for the info.
    I didn't understand why it was assumed Jubilee wasn't around just because she wasn't on the cover. We all know how covers work.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Still mixed feelings about this.

Even though the writing got better in the last issues, I feel that Tini’s pacing and dialogue for Excalibur are off sometimes. If she keeps writing a strong bold Betsy it’s already a good start for me.

Rachel and Shatterstar get me excited for this.

Being knights of the ten realms seems like a nice concept as well.

But… I was hoping for at least new uniform designs for them. I really dislike Rictor’s and Betsy’s. They really don’t look like X-Men to me.

Also I was hoping for a more serious, dark and sexy art but if the artist is the New Mutants one, it will be just the opposite. Everybody will still look like kids.
    Same. I started collecting Excalibur at issue #21 just exclusively for that pairing and I'll be there for Knights of X. I'm on the fence about Rod Reis's style (such a drastic departure from Marcus To's fabulous work), but I'm looking forward to seeing my boys together again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I love it. I think they're going to be on the run, potentially trapped in Otherworld if Merlyn destroys the Krakoan gates.
    Not sure if that would be a feasible plot device. Shatterstar is a teleporter and doesn't need Krakoan gates.
    Last edited by Solitaryhawk; 12-14-2021 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    Same. I started collecting Excalibur at issue #21 just exclusively for that pairing and I'll be there for Knights of X. I'm on the fence about Rod Reis's style (such a drastic departure from Marcus To's fabulous work), but I'm looking forward to seeing my boys together again.

Not sure if that would be a feasible plot device. Shatterstar is a teleporter and doesn't need Krakoan gates.
    Reis could just be the cover artist. I'm pretty sure the cover artist for Excalibur never drew an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Well Tini's done a terrible job w/ Betsy and all Psylocke fans I know including myself or just people on twitter have shifted to Kwannon

And while Team leads can have focus no characters should be treated as wallpaper, a good writer manages to hold that balance as in PAD's X-factor run

You are acting like their is unlimited paper. Just because the person is on the team doesn't mean they have to be a focus. Gambit is helping his friend Betsy and her family. Yet yall are crying because Gambit isn't the focus. Oh why doesn't Gambit have a side quest why isn't Gambit making moves why isn't Gambit doing this.

All these issues have done a good job showing the dynamic between Betsy her family and developing Otherworld. Heck the issue between Betsy and Psylocke was one of the best but nope it's only a good book if Gambit is stealing or flirting with some girl even though he is married now

Astonishing Member

Dude, if someone’s favorite character has been on a team book for 26 issues and nothing has been done with him, they have more than enough right to complain that the book doesn’t actually want to do anything with the character at all. There’s only two things the book has had him do, bitch about Apocalypse because at least one mutant needs to have a brain about trusting him, and getting turned into a maid by Mad Jim Jaspers in a moment that was disappointing for both characters.