Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    You are acting like their is unlimited paper. Just because the person is on the team doesn't mean they have to be a focus. Gambit is helping his friend Betsy and her family. Yet yall are crying because Gambit isn't the focus. Oh why doesn't Gambit have a side quest why isn't Gambit making moves why isn't Gambit doing this.

All these issues have done a good job showing the dynamic between Betsy her family and developing Otherworld. Heck the issue between Betsy and Psylocke was one of the best but nope it's only a good book if Gambit is stealing or flirting with some girl even though he is married now
    I'm literally not crying about anything... I'm not even a huge Gambit fan. I'm just saying it's valid that Gambit fans don't want to buy this book anymore. And to be honest you don't need to be this pressed over whether some fans are still buying a book or not or even whether they like it or not. Matter of fact you should prefer that they stop buying it because than they won't be "crying about it" anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I'm literally not crying about anything... I'm not even a huge Gambit fan. I'm just saying it's valid that Gambit fans don't want to buy this book anymore. And to be honest you don't need to be this pressed over whether some fans are still buying a book or not or even whether they like it or not. Matter of fact you should prefer that they stop buying it because than they won't be "crying about it" anymore.
    It's a toxic mindset and hampers any sort of story telling. Instead of telling the story they want you will have writers going

"Ok here's 5 pages for Gambit here's 4 pages for Jubilee etc" That's silly

You don’t need unlimited pages to know how to handle a team book and give them all moments to shine.

Al Ewing and Zeb Wells are the best at this. Some writers are not.

She doesn’t know how to juggle a huge cast. This is a critique that is valid.

She has dialogue and pacing issues. Valid critique.

She doesn’t give focus to characters she doesnt know what to do with or has no interest in. Valid criticism.

And I definitely feel for Gambit fans because he has no agency in this run. He’s glorified wallpaper.

I want her to be successful in all her writing endeavors BUT she needs to change and adapt.

Some if not most of the criticisms this run has had should be acknowledged.
    Last edited by CGAR; 12-14-2021 at 02:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Actually, expanding a bit, this run has always had this undercurrent of wanting to make some kind of commentary on the UK, various little bits and pieces and also the huge hammer it’s been readying to hit the Arthur Mythos, why would you not make Jaspers the center of that? Sir Jim Jaspers was a Tory politician and knight of the realm who ran on a campaign of hating an “other”, in that case superpowered individuals, outlawed superheroes, set up concentration camps and death squads for anyone even slightly meta human, and even designed what is probably the most successful Sentinel ever created. Why is he running around some fair market putting Gambit into a maid’s dress?!

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    You don’t need unlimited pages to know how to handle a team book and give them all moments to shine.

Al Ewing and Zeb Wells are the best at this. Some writers are not.

She doesn’t know how to juggle a huge cast. This is a critique that is valid.

She has dialogue and pacing issues. Valid critique.

She doesn’t give focus to characters she doesnt know what to do with or has no interest in. Valid criticism.

And I definitely feel for Gambit fans because he has no agency in this run. He’s glorified wallpaper.

I want her to be successful in all her writing endeavors BUT she needs to change and adapt.

Some if not most of the criticisms this run has had should be acknowledged.
    Tell me the difference in how Frenzy is being used in Sword vs Gambit in Excalibur?

It's a toxic mindset and hampers any sort of story telling. Instead of telling the story they want you will have writers going

"Ok here's 5 pages for Gambit here's 4 pages for Jubilee etc" That's silly
    It seems like a far more toxic mindset to keep buying something that you don't enjoy. That's what leads to the endless threads filled with negativity around here. This is supposed to be a fun hobby and it seems counterproductive to nitpick why someone should or shouldn't continue to spend their money on a book they aren't having fun reading.

And yes some readers are drawn to books because their favorites are in it. That's not how I generally go about making my pull list, but it's not my job to tell people how they should or shouldn't enjoy this medium.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 12-14-2021 at 02:09 PM.

Amazing Member

Tell me the difference in how Frenzy is being used in Sword vs Gambit in Excalibur?
    Or Iceman & Pyro in Marauders.
    Or Rogue & Sunfire in XMen.
    Or Warpath in New Mutants.
    Etc.

Some fans just love a martyr complex.

Quote Originally Posted by placeholder View Post
    Etc.

Exactly it's so crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Even with Rachel and Gambit...I fee this way/
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member

X-men hasn’t had 26 issues
    Marauders suffers from the fact the Duggan really just wanted to write a Kate and Emma book and did the pirate team pitch to make it happen, deceiving editor and reader alike.
    New Mutants I got no idea on, I only started reading Vita’s run when it became clear Hickman’s stuff was just going to ignore everything Al Ewing did with Sunspot

Etc.

A lot of fans of those characters have complained so I don't get the gotcha. I feel you Gambit fans. I stopped reading a few issues into Howard's run. It became clear she really just wanted to write about Betsy (and not even that well compared to other stealth solo team books lol)

Amazing Member

Exactly it's so crazy
    Especially since after a very rough first arc, Howard has drastically course corrected when it comes to Gambit's voice. There are lots of issues surrounding Excalibur, some of which have been mentionned above but the book is demonstrably getting better as it goes. And the notion that he would be better served in XForce, Marauders or XMen sounds like wishful thinking and an excuse to rage at Howard.

Astonishing Member

I think she is improving, and that some things, like the pacing, aren't entirely her fault. Well, let me rephrase, she does have a pacing issue, but it's not helped by X of Swords, which, based of Trial of Magneto and other news about the X-office wanting to blow things up into book crossovers between all the books, I wouldn't be surprised if X of Swords was originally nowhere near as massive of an event, and that it could have been massively expanded, and in the process delivered a bomb to Excalibur's already struggling pacing.

My complaints about Mad Jim are mostly because this book needs a good villain that isn't just some flavor of "Oh those damn flatscans hating us mutants" like Coven Akkaba, Merlin, Arthur, Morgan....pretty much all the villains so far. Here and in most other X-books.

The entire imperialism thing I don't expect to ever be addressed.

Etc.

Youre kind of proving my point.

These writers have been critiqued for not giving these characters something substantial to do.

Also Frenzy has had more shine and spotlight by Ewing compared to the others.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Youre kind of proving my point.

These writers have been critiqued for not giving these characters something substantial to do.

Also Frenzy has had more shine and spotlight by Ewing compared to the others.
    Oh if your point is that the line as a whole has been substandard for a while now. Yes I agree. I was commenting on the specific complaint regarding Gambit's treatment.

Frenzy had one focus issue. So no she's not really been treated much better then say, Synch. But Storm completely derailed SWXRD.