Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Haha, me too. I don't need every piece of Superman media to be a Morrisonesque statement on the character.
    Its not like we got only two options here. Pak, Yang or even Williamson weren't really doing any Morrisonesque statements on Superman or Batman, but their Batman/Superman runs looked better than what Waid is talking about here.

Granted, maybe Waid has some long term plan and it will look great in the end. But at the time it doesn't look like it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Vindication, I guess.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Now I'm starting to feel like I have a lower standard of comics than everybody else .
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Its not like we got only two options here. Pak, Yang or even Williamson weren't really doing any Morrisonesque statements on Superman or Batman, but their Batman/Superman runs looked better than what Waid is talking about here.

Granted, maybe Waid has some long term plan and it will look great in the end. But at the time it doesn't look like it.
    Can we really say that at this point just from a short preview?

Granted Pak's and Williamson's was more plot-relevant and Yang was more high-concept in terms of approach, but I don't really see what's so bad in a preview that's just setting the initial stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now I'm starting to feel like I have a lower standard of comics than everybody else .

Can we really say that at this point just from a short preview?

Granted Pak's and Williamson's was more plot-relevant and Yang was more high-concept in terms of approach, but I don't really see what's so bad in a preview that's just setting the initial stage.
    Think you just had more reasonable expectations than some of us. For those not digging the current status quo in the mainline however, I expect they’ll love this. It’s back to basics without actually forcing the main books to revert, which is fine with me.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Think you just had more reasonable expectations than some of us. For those not digging the current status quo in the mainline however, I expect they’ll love this. It’s back to basics without actually forcing the main books to revert, which is fine with me.
    I feel like the variant covers of Batman and Superman being pals and having fun were good indications of the tone and style of this, or at least what I was expecting. Especially when we saw the classic, bright and shiny, Dan Mora art of Batman and Superman. I think this is going to go for more of a Brave and the Bold style Waid book.

I guess for me good, fun, comics starring characters I love and melding their worlds together in fun ways is all I really want out of a BM/SM book.

(Also Lois with long hair).

Incredible Member

the preview is what i expected from a batman/superman/robin comic. batman being the hero and superman being the damsel in distress. I guess it's normal, robin has earned the position of assistant so superman only has the position of damsel left. kryptonite is not only a weakness of superman in the comics, it is also outside of them, with kryptonite anyone can face superman, it is the easy way for the writer, that is why superman is the official dc punching bag. a comic in which batman and superman appear is bad news for superman, but superman fans are still excited.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    the preview is what i expected from a batman/superman/robin comic. batman being the hero and superman being the damsel in distress. I guess it's normal, robin has earned the position of assistant so superman only has the position of damsel left. kryptonite is not only a weakness of superman in the comics, it is also outside of them, with kryptonite anyone can face superman, it is the easy way for the writer, that is why superman is the official dc punching bag. a comic in which batman and superman appear is bad news for superman, but superman fans are still excited.
    I'm hoping Superman does more in the next few pages.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

To be honest tripping over rocks is dumb..I thought that the naruto family was the only ones to do it..But,i've stumbled myself into another franchise with a protagonist that takes it 11..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I was going through the preorders and I wasn't going to pick this up...but then I saw that that the Doom Patrol was going to be in it, so I came over here to see what the convo was. Okay, it's not the most recent DP--I believe the Gerard Way lineup was the last time we saw them?--it's the "classic" lineup? Which I guess for Waid would be Chief/Rita/Cliff/Larry. And this whole book is set in a nebulous past....okay.

The preview did not sell me on the book, it just feels lazy to use Ivy as the generic villain taken out in the opening pages. Ivy's a tweener now! Use somebody else!

...but I might be a sucker for that Artgerm cover anyway. Kara and Steph are WORLD'S FINEST! The best Batgirl and the, ummm, only Supergirl!

Quote Originally Posted by justinslot View Post
    I was going through the preorders and I wasn't going to pick this up...but then I saw that that the Doom Patrol was going to be in it, so I came over here to see what the convo was. Okay, it's not the most recent DP--I believe the Gerard Way lineup was the last time we saw them?--it's the "classic" lineup? Which I guess for Waid would be Chief/Rita/Cliff/Larry. And this whole book is set in a nebulous past....okay.

The preview did not sell me on the book, it just feels lazy to use Ivy as the generic villain taken out in the opening pages. Ivy's a tweener now! Use somebody else!

...but I might be a sucker for that Artgerm cover anyway. Kara and Steph are WORLD'S FINEST! The best Batgirl and the, ummm, only Supergirl!
    I like seeing classic Ivy. And glad she's not in her New 52 costume.

Astonishing Member

Issue #2 Cover

Incredible Member

in my previous comment I said that superman was the damsel in distress, but I said it as an exaggeration, but seeing what awaits us in number 2, it seems to make you whole. I guess issue 3 will see the classic story of the damsel falling in love with her hero.

The Doom Patrol .

Astonishing Member

Detective Comics #1050 is out next week.

All the covers are great.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN: WORLD’S FINEST #2
    Written by MARK WAID
    Art and cover by DAN MORA
    Variant cover by TIM SALE
    1:25 variant cover by PETE WOODS
    1:50 variant cover by JORGE JIMENEZ
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 4/19/22

The Man of Steel and the Dark Knight have arrived at the compound of Niles Caulder—the Chief in charge of that strange band of misfits known as the Doom Patrol—but all is not as it seems. While Batman works with Niles to cure Superman of his freakish transformations, a side mission to track a mysterious figure known as “the Demon” attracts the Dark Knight’s attention…and moreover, it could have some connection to Superman’s poisoning at the hands of Metallo! It’s danger, intrigue, and the surprise appearance of Deadman in chapter two of World’s Finest!
    That bit about Superman’s poisoning reminds me of the Metallo portion of the Superman 2000 pitch. Looks like that was a Mark Waid idea. In that pitch Metallo had a Red K heart instead of green, and it caused Superman all sort of hallucinations and transformations. Metallo was compared to Michael Meyers there, curious if Waid can make him feel menacing.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-21-2022 at 06:40 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/