Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I dunno there are a ton of Batman BL books that are giving us takes on “classic” Batman while the mainline tries other stuff. I view this as an equivalent for Superman. Waid’s attempt to be “hip” with Champions sucked but his brief Dr. Strange run got good reviews. He might still have some spark left in him and I think he’s earned a shot off of his pedigree alone. If Jurgens can get another shot I think Waid is entitled to one as well, and we have young new bloods on Jon and Clark in the mainline. Plus Batman/Superman is usually just inconsequential side adventures, unless they were planning on turning this into a Jon/Jace book (and the most likely writer for that would’ve been Taylor who wouldn’t have done anything interesting with it anyway) having Waid tell adventures set in the past might still provide some benefit in spotlighting Clark’s Rogues in cool ways.
    Make no mistake, I'm not just staying away from retro/classic "meat and potatoes" Superman. I'm staying away from that stuff from all of DC. But the Waid get by DC I'm particularly against because he's the embodiment of it all. A classic fan favorite who is so stuck in his ways and his take that he's only going to do that, and they're going to make room in the comics specifically for that now of all times. He can keep whatever spark he has left to himself and to those who care to see it excursively applied to 400th time Clark and Bruce figure out a classic Joker or Lex trap or Clark grapples with his no killing code. I'm good. I don't care if he's figured out a way to make it .0000000000001% different. I don't care if it's spotlighting fucking Atomic Skull or Metallo in some small new variation that'll be forgotten as soon as the issue's done. I just don't.

And make no mistake, it's not at all about the Waid being an old head from back in the day. It's 100% about his attitude and total unwillingness to play ball unless it's the ball he grew up with. So, yeah, I'm good. This doesn't get my support, but I hold no ill will towards whoever will get it.

Also they give his old ass Dan Mora!? The artist that's quickly defining the new slick look of DC's future is going onto the retro book because Waid doesn't want the retro book to look like the retro book that it is? Ridiculous.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-26-2021 at 09:18 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.