Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1131

Another option is DC's upcoming summer event. Sure, Waid likes his own headcanon, but Batman vs Robin showed that he is not against doing mainline story. I think he also wrote something for Terror Knights? So anyway, Waid wrote a good number of DC's comics in 90s so this event being "30 years in the making" would make more sense with him at the helm than any other DC's top writer. And well, is Williamson going to do another event?

if Ultimate DC is supposed to be more modern then maybe it makes sense to make the mainline a bit more retro to make the distinction more obvious? And I could see Waid being interested in making the entire line a bit closer to his headcanon.

Obviously it can be Darkest Zero Hour by Jurgens, but I hope that DC isn't that stupid.

Edit: Like, this thing also happened in 1994 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_an_Era_(comics)
    Last edited by HsssH; 01-21-2024 at 12:45 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Snyder also mentioned talking to Waid at a Con, praised him for his insight. I could see Waid doing an Ultimate book, but I actually don’t want him to do Ultimate Superman. He did that already with Birthright, and Waid is too easily cowed by the public. Despite thinking that the Kents are better off dead or that Clark & Lois shouldn’t be married, if you listen to him in interviews he’s folded on those aspects and accepts them. If you’re going to do another big reinvention of Superman, it needs to be by someone who is younger and willing to push the envelope when it comes to what Superman “must” be. Bendis made a lot of changes to Spidey for his Ultimate run, Hickman is doing the same. Something like that is needed for Superman. Someone who isn’t going to be offered a new Superman to develop and chose to have him work at the Daily Planet, visit Smallville for pie and pep talks, and pine over Lois just like the Earth 0 guy.

Still think it will be Snyder - which carries its own set of risks, namely that heÂ’ll get bored and wanna bring in Batman - Waid I think will do something else. Not Batman, heÂ’s talked about how hard it is to do anything new with the character and also an Ultimate Batman would be an awful choice for Waid because he couldnÂ’t get retro with it. HeÂ’s not interested in WW. Did Flash already and has no desire to return. I think the most obvious choice for Waid is Ultimate Green Lantern. HeÂ’s interested in doing more work with Hal, GL is a big franchise heÂ’s never worked on before, heÂ’s a huge sci-fi nerd and could use that for GL easily, and the franchise plays well with themes Waid is interested in.
    Snyder's Superman would also be influenced by Post-Crisis and the Timmverse lol. I can't think of a specific writer for an ultimate-style Superman. They all seem to have their favorite era that inform their view of the character.

I would expect such line of books would be smaller like Ultimate Marvel was, focusing on few characters at first or groups of characters instead of giving books to GL, BM, Flash, SM, WW, etc...
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 01-21-2024 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Another option is DC's upcoming summer event. Sure, Waid likes his own headcanon, but Batman vs Robin showed that he is not against doing mainline story. I think he also wrote something for Terror Knights? So anyway, Waid wrote a good number of DC's comics in 90s so this event being "30 years in the making" would make more sense with him at the helm than any other DC's top writer. And well, is Williamson going to do another event?

if Ultimate DC is supposed to be more modern then maybe it makes sense to make the mainline a bit more retro to make the distinction more obvious? And I could see Waid being interested in making the entire line a bit closer to his headcanon.

Obviously it can be Darkest Zero Hour by Jurgens, but I hope that DC isn't that stupid.

Edit: Like, this thing also happened in 1994 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_an_Era_(comics)
    They’re putting out a Zero Hour Omnibus this year, so I think it’s a safe bet that the event is a sequel, either direct or spiritual, to Zero Hour. Dunno if they would outright have Jurgens write it but that wouldn’t surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Snyder's Superman would also be influenced by Post-Crisis and the Timmverse lol. I can't think of a specific writer for an ultimate-style Superman. They all seem to have their favorite era that inform their view of the character.

I would expect such line of books would be smaller like Ultimate Marvel was, focusing on few characters at first or groups of characters instead of giving books to GL, BM, Flash, SM, WW, etc...
    Watters is my pick. Bendis clearly had his favorite Spidey eras too, he never liked Venom and didn’t do much with a black suit Peter or with Venom himself. Drawing on your favorite eras isn’t a problem, it’s a question of can you do something new with the character that isn’t just recreating past eras? Waid did his spin on that with Birthright, I’d rather he just keep putting out books in a Birthrightverse rather than reboot Superman again. Snyder might be a fan of the DCAU and Post Crisis but he’s also a Hickman and Morrison fanboy. I trust that he would at least be able to come up with some new ideas for the character, or bring back old Morrison ideas to do his own spin on them like he did with his Batman run.

Bleeding Cool claimed Ultimate DC would be “more extensive” than Ultimate Marvel which I’m taking to mean more books. DC has trimmed their line, I think they’ve reached the point where they don’t believe most characters can sustain books in the mainline. Perhaps they’re right about that. Perhaps rebooting those characters on Earth Alpha or whatever is the only way to draw interest now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I feel like bar minimum Ultimate DC would have the Trinity and maybe a JL book, but the former is more likely.

I think the question is whether the whole Big Seven would get an Ultimate DC book.

I feel like Mark Waid should be the last person headlining an Ultimate DC. He is a huge silver age nostalgic who has been writing DC for decades. What new ideas is he gonna bring to the table?

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    I feel like Mark Waid should be the last person headlining an Ultimate DC. He is a huge silver age nostalgic who has been writing DC for decades. What new ideas is he gonna bring to the table?
    Putting him on a character he hasn’t worked on before but has an interest in is the only way I could see it potentially working. But yes he’s not a natural fit for the concept, particularly when he’s already carving out his own sandbox to play in with World’s Finest.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Sneak Preview of issue 24

Yeah it looks like this is what thins the ranks of the old guard KC heroes.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Holy crap Darkseid bringing down the house like a shonen Big Bad.

Darkseid Is .

Extraordinary Member

Batman / Superman: World’s Finest 2024 Annual #1 Preview
    Writers: Mark Waid, Cullen Bunn, Stephanie Williams, Christopher Cantwell & Dennis Culver
    Artists: Edwin Galmon, Rosi Kampe, Jorge Fornes & Travis Mercer

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Batman / Superman: World’s Finest 2024 Annual #1 Preview
    Writers: Mark Waid, Cullen Bunn, Stephanie Williams, Christopher Cantwell & Dennis Culver
    Artists: Edwin Galmon, Rosi Kampe, Jorge Fornes & Travis Mercer

The preview is looking pretty good. And it seems one of the imps dressed as batman (unless that's Bat-mite) has watched One Punch man.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Annual was weak overall. Waid story was the best merely for being “ok” but I dunno if I’m going to enjoy his upcoming Mxy/Bat-Mite story. They got tedious fairly quickly here.

Darkseid-Mite?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    The preview is looking pretty good. And it seems one of the imps dressed as batman (unless that's Bat-mite) has watched One Punch man.
    That’s a reference to the infamous Guy Gardner panel.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Ah, of course. How'd I miss that.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Annual was weak overall. Waid story was the best merely for being “ok” but I dunno if I’m going to enjoy his upcoming Mxy/Bat-Mite story. They got tedious fairly quickly here.

Darkseid-Mite?

I think that's The Batman Who Laughs. The black and red text boxes, the chains on the background...

Maybe Snyder is indeed doing a new Metal event.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post
    I think that's The Batman Who Laughs. The black and red text boxes, the chains on the background...

Maybe Snyder is indeed doing a new Metal event.
    It does share the same font style but I would be shocked if Waid of all people used the BWL. Plus since WF takes place in the past before the Metal events, it would require some explaining. I think it’s another 5D imp since that’s what the rest of them are.