Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Loved the first issue!

I'm trying to think of some villain team ups "that are long overdue." Maybe Toyman and Scarecrow, Croc and Parasite, Livewire and Maxie Zeus?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Loved the first issue!

I'm trying to think of some villain team ups "that are long overdue." Maybe Toyman and Scarecrow, Croc and Parasite, Livewire and Maxie Zeus?
    Livewire and Zeus would be an easy team up. Maybe Atomic Skull and Dr. Phosphorus too.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I like how Waid writes Clark and Bruce being actually nice and friendly with each other, not all harsh like others do it, it's such a breath of fresh air.

Mora art is classic but alive, I don't really know how to explain it, but u like it a lot
    There was a recent podcast/interview where Waid said something along the lines of "the world is a better place when Superman and Batman are friends." Apt for both the comics world and the real world.

Probably a (not so subtle) coded dig towards the Snyderverse as well, I'd gather.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

This issue was basically exactly what I thought it would be. Only better.

I've read Waid's Clark and Bruce. Hell, I've read a good chunk of Waid, period. And I felt like I knew what to expect; a quality tale, well crafted, but very....traditional?....classic? Status quo? Nothing I hadn't seen before, in other words. Dan Mora was the big draw for me. I've adored this guy's art since Klaus (which every single one of you should read btw).

Waid *did* do something very classic and status quo, though with a bit more DCAU rubbed in than I expected (Metallo, for instance). But it was a ton of fun and I love how much of a role Robin played. Yang was a hard act to follow, but Waid knocked this out of the park. Might be some of the best work I've seen from him since Wally.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    There was a recent podcast/interview where Waid said something along the lines of "the world is a better place when Superman and Batman are friends." Apt for both the comics world and the real world.

Probably a (not so subtle) coded dig towards the Snyderverse as well, I'd gather.
    Say what you will about Snyder but Superman and Batman being enemies has nothing to do with him. That was a product of the modern era post 70's dimwit writers pen that thought drama was a sign of good character interaction. Somehow, someway they thought that Superman and Batman needed to be "diametric opposites" and felt they could maintain they congenial brotherhood that had been built up throughout Pre-Crisis. Wasn't going to happen because the basic idea of the Pre-Crisis World's Finest was that despite the background difference they were more similar than they were different which allowed for the whole "like brothers angle" (that and the fact that they looked so similar). Notice the reaction on this board whenever Batman is announced to show up in a Superman comic.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

It never ceases to amaze me how often Superman fans who want to move on from Snyder keep making things about him.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Say what you will about Snyder but Superman and Batman being enemies has nothing to do with him. That was a product of the modern era post 70's dimwit writers pen that thought drama was a sign of good character interaction. Somehow, someway they thought that Superman and Batman needed to be "diametric opposites" and felt they could maintain they congenial brotherhood that had been built up throughout Pre-Crisis. Wasn't going to happen because the basic idea of the Pre-Crisis World's Finest was that despite the background difference they were more similar than they were different which allowed for the whole "like brothers angle" (that and the fact that they looked so similar). Notice the reaction on this board whenever Batman is announced to show up in a Superman comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how often Superman fans who want to move on from Snyder keep making things about him.
    FWIW, that wasn't meant to be a Snyder takedown (more of a friendly jab), just mentioning that Waid prefers Clark and Bruce to be friends (and I really like his quote about the world being a better place when they are ). Personally, I don't mind Snyder. Don't love the movies by any means, but I think they do have their moments here and there.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 03-20-2022 at 12:52 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I really enjoyed this. Good to see that Mark Waid is still on top of his game as one of the best.

I've never quite understood the whole premise behind kryptonite though. If it is a radioactive material that weakens kryptonians, how come kryptonite (Being radioactive) doesn't seem to have any adverse implications for humans like Batman?

I also take it that different colours of kryptonite are a result of different chemical compounds like we have with precious metals, silver & gold ect?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I really enjoyed this. Good to see that Mark Waid is still on top of his game as one of the best.

I've never quite understood the whole premise behind kryptonite though. If it is a radioactive material that weakens kryptonians, how come kryptonite (Being radioactive) doesn't seem to have any adverse implications for humans like Batman?

I also take it that different colours of kryptonite are a result of different chemical compounds like we have with precious metals, silver & gold ect?
    It does actually, it just takes longer to affect humans. Lex got cancer from wearing a Kryptonite ring all the time, Batman keeps his kryptonite in a lead pouch.

The different types of Kryptonite have had a lot of origins. Usually green is the “base” type and other types are simply green K that have been mutated after exposure to other phenomena.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

This book was everything I wanted and more. It was tailor made to fit my tastes exactly and nobody can convince me otherwise, but you're all very welcome.

It's also pretty dense, too. It moves quick and it has a lot going on. This would have been three issues elsewhere but it's just a delight from top to bottom and I can't wait for more.

I hope Waid and Mora stick around for the long haul.

I've often said the true World's Finest is Superman, Batman and Robin (since that was the original form of the book in the 40s) and this proves they're still the best.

Waid, Mora and Bonvillain killed it on every page.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It does actually, it just takes longer to affect humans. Lex got cancer from wearing a Kryptonite ring all the time, Batman keeps his kryptonite in a lead pouch.

The different types of Kryptonite have had a lot of origins. Usually green is the “base” type and other types are simply green K that have been mutated after exposure to other phenomena.
    That's right. I forgot about Batman's lead pouch. Interesting, I wonder if red might just be a rarer base type, since it used quite a bit.

Anyways thanks for the input.

The comic is a solid read. Definitely on my recommendation list.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The way it's always worked in my head is that red kryptonite is unstable. All other kryptonite variations are consistent (insofar as whatever they're supposed to do, they do it every time), but red is the only random one, so I attribute that to the red shift in radiation indicating it's become unstable and therefore volatile.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The way it's always worked in my head is that red kryptonite is unstable. All other kryptonite variations are consistent (insofar as whatever they're supposed to do, they do it every time), but red is the only random one, so I attribute that to the red shift in radiation indicating it's become unstable and therefore volatile.
    I see, kind of like a more unstable isotope than regular green kryptonite. Okay thanks.

I prefer the Morrison New 52 take where Kryptonite gets to Earth because it’s what Jor used to power Kal’s rocket. Feels more believable to me than shards of the planet somehow crossing the void and ending up on Earth. I also like the irony that the element which saved Kal’s life can also be used to kill him.