Page 16 of 76 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Romance, truth,justice and freedom what i believe to be Clark's core characteristic.So,i am gonna differ with waid.not that kindness or compassion aren't there.But,his core is around truth.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Romance, truth,justice and freedom what i believe to be Clark's core characteristic.So,i am gonna differ with waid.not that kindness or compassion aren't there.But,his core is around truth.
    Waid has admitted that Superman: The Movie changed his life so I think Reeve is a cornerstone of his vision of Clark. Among other things, Reeve's Superman was a man of kindness and compassion. I know you base your take more around the golden age, so I think that divide between your view and Waid was always going to be there. I hope you can enjoy the book despite that, though.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Waid has admitted that Superman: The Movie changed his life so I think Reeve is a cornerstone of his vision of Clark. Among other things, Reeve's Superman was a man of kindness and compassion. I know you base your take more around the golden age, so I think that divide between your view and Waid was always going to be there. I hope you can enjoy the book despite that, though.
    I do actually.Don't get me wrong.i liked that take and i do love superman in all star..But,he just feels like wise old man archetype as protagonist.Old,powerful and wise.I want energy in my protagonist..Not stationary feeling.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    This issue was basically exactly what I thought it would be. Only better.

I've read Waid's Clark and Bruce. Hell, I've read a good chunk of Waid, period. And I felt like I knew what to expect; a quality tale, well crafted, but very....traditional?....classic? Status quo? Nothing I hadn't seen before, in other words. Dan Mora was the big draw for me. I've adored this guy's art since Klaus (which every single one of you should read btw).

Waid *did* do something very classic and status quo, though with a bit more DCAU rubbed in than I expected (Metallo, for instance). But it was a ton of fun and I love how much of a role Robin played. Yang was a hard act to follow, but Waid knocked this out of the park. Might be some of the best work I've seen from him since Wally.
    That's over two decades ago. You thought he hasn't written anything this good since then? Wow.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I prefer the Morrison New 52 take where Kryptonite gets to Earth because it’s what Jor used to power Kal’s rocket. Feels more believable to me than shards of the planet somehow crossing the void and ending up on Earth. I also like the irony that the element which saved Kal’s life can also be used to kill him.
    I liked what they did in the animated series, where Kal-El's ship basically created a wormhole after leaving Krypton to Earth, and thus Krytptonite passed through it. And my problems with the rest of the movies aside, I think what they came up with in the DCEU wasn't a bad idea either (Kryptonite being created directly on Earth by a machine that tried to terraform Earth into Krypton).

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    I liked what they did in the animated series, where Kal-El's ship basically created a wormhole after leaving Krypton to Earth, and thus Krytptonite passed through it. And my problems with the rest of the movies aside, I think what they came up with in the DCEU wasn't a bad idea either (Kryptonite being created directly on Earth by a machine that tried to terraform Earth into Krypton).
    Yeah that wasn’t a bad origin for it either.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This was basically All Star World's Finest, and I'm digging it a lot so far.

The Weaponers of Qward were a surprising cameo. With the Bat-Supes bromance, the Doom Patrol, the Dick-Kara team up and the upcoming appearance of Hal, this series is a neat Silver Age love letter. I hope Waid and Mora stick around for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    That's over two decades ago. You thought he hasn't written anything this good since then? Wow.
    Don't get me wrong, Waid's done a lot of good stuff since his first run with Wally. Loads of good stuff. But yeah, I think Flash was his masterpiece and nothing since has equaled it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Don't get me wrong, Waid's done a lot of good stuff since his first run with Wally. Loads of good stuff. But yeah, I think Flash was his masterpiece and nothing since has equaled it.
    I’ve heard Daredevil managed to equal Flash but I haven’t read it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’ve heard Daredevil managed to equal Flash but I haven’t read it.
    His Daredevil (and Jorge Fornes’ and Chris Samnee’s) is one of my favorite superhero runs ever, a sugar-high delight from start to finish. But it’s also not some people’s idea of what they want from a DD comic, so it has its detractors. I appreciated his daring in deviating from the standard “gritty” interpretation. My 2 cents. Haven’t read his Flash, though it’s on the bottomless to-read list, so I can’t say how it compares.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    His Daredevil (and Jorge Fornes’ and Chris Samnee’s) is one of my favorite superhero runs ever, a sugar-high delight from start to finish. But it’s also not some people’s idea of what they want from a DD comic, so it has its detractors. I appreciated his daring in deviating from the standard “gritty” interpretation. My 2 cents. Haven’t read his Flash, though it’s on the bottomless to-read list, so I can’t say how it compares.
    His Daredevil run worked far better than it should have at the time it came out.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Funny how Jimmy was the first one to note Batman AND Robin in the issue (after Robin’s multiple laments ). I’d like to see some good Jimmy/Robin banter again, Yang nailed that pairing in his recent take.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Gotcha! (10char)

First issue sold well apparently, no surprise there. Now we wait to see the falloff come issue 2.

Extraordinary Member

Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #2 Preview
    Writer: Mark Waid
    Artist: Dan Mora