Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Instead of Clark telling Lois he’s Superman after they’ve dated a while, you have Superman tell her he’s Clark after Superman and Lois have dated a while?
    I'd dig it. I think the DCAU might've headed in that direction, but it's just too bad we didn't see how it unfolded.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think his Avengers run was ham-strung by the status quo and events Waid was saddled with at the time. I've read worse runs (and you could at least tell Waid cared about the Avengers compared to, say, Hickman).

But quality-wise I'm definitely hoping for something in the vein of his DD run.
    Eh to me the most important aspect of the Avengers is being the best team in the MU that tackles the biggest threats. Hickman had a large team with lots of different characters but in the end, Iron Man and Captain America were the most important characters even with all the new Avengers playing big roles throughout his story. The team was overly big but it reminded me of JLU where there were plenty of superheroes ready to play their part when called up. IMO it's what a team like the Avengers (or even the Justice League) should be like. That said, I do find this meme about Hickman's Avengers roster to be pretty funny

To bring this back to the topic, I think the worry with Waid is that he goes after recapturing some sense of nostalgia instead of telling a new, fresh story. At least with this story, there's a market for a BFF Batman/Superman relationship that echoes the silver age as long as it feels properly modern. Can be a tough line to manage although ultimately I think Waid should get to tell the story he wants especially since it's out of continuity so I'm still looking forward to it

Astonishing Member

Lois not knowing his secret can still make for interesting stories, just don’t think there’s much left to mine in terms of Clark competing with himself for Lois affections. Maybe you could do a reverse of the story we got? Instead of Clark telling Lois he’s Superman after they’ve dated a while, you have Superman tell her he’s Clark after Superman and Lois have dated a while?
    I can't help it I do want an updated triangle for two retold with contemporary sensitivities, one that also doesn't pussyfoot in calling Clark on his BS for lying. I'm not looking for an ongoing just a modern update to their history, enough to scratch an itch before moving on. To be honest, nothing stops DC from telling these fill in gaps stories be it minis or maxis to lead us to where we are, including stuff with the rest of the super family.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Eh to me the most important aspect of the Avengers is being the best team in the MU that tackles the biggest threats. Hickman had a large team with lots of different characters but in the end, Iron Man and Captain America were the most important characters even with all the new Avengers playing big roles throughout his story. The team was overly big but it reminded me of JLU where there were plenty of superheroes ready to play their part when called up. IMO it's what a team like the Avengers (or even the Justice League) should be like. That said, I do find this meme about Hickman's Avengers roster to be pretty funny

To bring this back to the topic, I think the worry with Waid is that he goes after recapturing some sense of nostalgia instead of telling a new, fresh story. At least with this story, there's a market for a BFF Batman/Superman relationship that echoes the silver age as long as it feels properly modern. Can be a tough line to manage although ultimately I think Waid should get to tell the story he wants especially since it's out of continuity so I'm still looking forward to it
    I think if you're fine with general, solid, stories in a JLU sense but I guess I'm coming at the team more from the prospective of an EMH/Waid/Busiek team where it's as much about the character and team dynamics as it is the threats they're fighting, and not just in a general JLU sense of "look at all these characters doing stuff."

And, compared to New Avengers (which was more of an Illuminati book), his Avengers definitely felt like he was less invested in it by comparison and was just there so there was some kind of "meat and potatoes" Avengers book. But it wasn't what Hickman wanted to write.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I can't help it I do want an updated triangle for two retold with contemporary sensitivities, one that also doesn't pussyfoot in calling Clark on his BS for lying. I'm not looking for an ongoing just a modern update to their history, enough to scratch an itch before moving on. To be honest, nothing stops DC from telling these fill in gaps stories be it minis or maxis to lead us to where we are, including stuff with the rest of the super family.
    Like what you like man, I’m not opposed to someone trying that, I just personally don’t think there’s much left there to explore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think if you're fine with general, solid, stories in a JLU sense but I guess I'm coming at the team more from the prospective of an EMH/Waid/Busiek team where it's as much about the character and team dynamics as it is the threats they're fighting, and not just in a general JLU sense of "look at all these characters doing stuff."

And, compared to New Avengers (which was more of an Illuminati book), his Avengers definitely felt like he was less invested in it by comparison and was just there so there was some kind of "meat and potatoes" Avengers book. But it wasn't what Hickman wanted to write.
    Pretty sure he’s on record as saying he never cared about the Avengers and it shows in his Secret Wars finale lmao. He killed off Steve and Tony beforehand and ultimately it’s just a Reed vs. Doom story (damn good one however).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Pretty sure he’s on record as saying he never cared about the Avengers and it shows in his Secret Wars finale lmao. He killed off Steve and Tony beforehand and ultimately it’s just a Reed vs. Doom story (damn good one however).
    Agreed. And hilariously Steve and Tony try to kill each other and it never gets brought up again .

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Default Squee!!!

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. After the last horrible year I'd given up on most DC comics, but a Mark Waid/Dan Mora World's Finest series? Yes, please! That actually sounds fun.

Quick summary:
    -Set in the past so Waid isn’t constantly having to grapple with current continuity (i.e. Superman in space, Batman is “poor”). Dick is Robin and Lois doesn’t know Clark’s secret identity.
    Thank you! That's really helpful information. If the book lasts for any length of time they'll probably have to drop the pretense that it's set in the continuity of the current DCU, but there's plenty of out of continuity titles now so it shouldn't make any difference if this book pulls a reverse Spider-Girl and ends up creating its own idealized "past."

Is it just me or do normies not understand how Superman and Batman work as allies?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    More covers:

I can’t remember the last time I was this excited for a new comicbook.

Incredible Member

Preview:

https://www.polygon.com/22876651/bat...-dan-mora-2022

Waid returns to the world of Superman (and Batman) in March, but first he and artist Dan Mora (Detective Comics) are staking a claim in Batman’s own Detective Comics. Starting on Jan. 25, the two will take over the title’s backup feature with a prelude to their own run on Batman/Superman.

Waid and Mora set their tale in a more colorful past of Batman and Superman — a time when Robin was still around and Superman’s secret identity was still a secret. After a vicious attack by the kryptonite-powered villain Metallo, Batman has to seek out the help of some unlikely allies ... the DC Universe’s biggest team of weirdos, the Doom Patrol. But that’s all in the pages of Batman/Superman.

The Detective Comics pages below, courtesy of DC Comics, find the trio of Batman, Superman, and Robin up against a very different foe: Poison Ivy. It must be nice for her plants to get some sun for once.

Looks really fun .

Incredible Member

I have to admit, Clark just saving civilians (no matter how "inspiring" some fans may think the image of him holding an unconscious kid may be while someone else does the fighting - please, that's the sidekick's job) while Bruce gets to gain the upper hand on his villain, only for Clark to then be immediately incapacitated by his villain once he shows up (and those two pages aren't exactly the most innovative take on Metallo ever) isn't exactly my favorite start to a World's Finest book. Maybe the sixth page will surprise me, maybe not, I only know those 5 pages deflated a lot of my enthusiasm for this. And hey, that coin-flip joke was amusing, even if Robin's response to it really cringy (and no, being a reference to Two-Face does not make it any less cringy).

Great art, though. Mora, Bonvillain and Bidikar really give this story that sort of "classic story for the modern era" look.

Extraordinary Member

Curious how many Superman fans who don't reach Batman will pick up Detective Comics for these back ups before the ongoing starts.

Art is fantastic but… there’s nothing really there to hook me. Feels like this will be the same as all the other Batman/Superman books: fun but nothing more at best.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    I have to admit, Clark just saving civilians (no matter how "inspiring" some fans may think the image of him holding an unconscious kid may be while someone else does the fighting - please, that's the sidekick's job) while Bruce gets to gain the upper hand on his villain, only for Clark to then be immediately incapacitated by his villain once he shows up (and those two pages aren't exactly the most innovative take on Metallo ever) isn't exactly my favorite start to a World's Finest book. Maybe the sixth page will surprise me, maybe not, I only know those 5 pages deflated a lot of my enthusiasm for this. And hey, that coin-flip joke was amusing, even if Robin's response to it really cringy (and no, being a reference to Two-Face does not make it any less cringy).

Great art, though. Mora, Bonvillain and Bidikar really give this story that sort of "classic story for the modern era" look.
    I assume Supes will contribute something so it's not just Bats saving the day (I mean, Bruce says Ivy's out of her League which shows how much he respects Superman).
    Art is fantastic but… there’s nothing really there to hook me. Feels like this will be the same as all the other Batman/Superman books: fun but nothing more at best.
    I feel like I'm the worst kind of fan but this kind of stuff just does it for me.