Page 19 of 75 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Good issue. At first I thought it was a little Tower of Babel lite to have the Devil use Batman’s JL files against the heroes… and then I remembered that Waid is the one who wrote Tower of Babel, so fair enough . I liked that both Superman and Batman contributed to rescuing the other, Superman saving them from “Hell”, Batman rescuing Supes from the mirror.

Y’know if they’re not going to get Way back to do more Doom Patrol, maybe they should give it to Waid? He would do a mix of classic Doom Patrol and the Morrison DP in a way that might make that team easier for people to get into (and unlike Way he can get his scripts in on time). I like his voice for them in this and wouldn’t mind reading more. Supergirl and Robin continue to be a fun duo just like their counterparts.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

I'm loving this book so much. Just a couple of thoughts on the costumes; I like that Kara is wearing shorts, and it's kinda weird seeing Barry in a Wally/New 52 hybrid look when everyone else is rocking their classic looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I do wish DC would reestablish the friendship of Supergirl and Batgirl.
    That happened in Rebirth, but they haven't done much with it in Infinite Frontier.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    I'm loving this book so much. Just a couple of thoughts on the costumes; I like that Kara is wearing shorts, and it's kinda weird seeing Barry in a Wally/New 52 hybrid look when everyone else is rocking their classic looks.
    Hey, if that's what they need to justify the skirt, all power to them .

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    I enjoyed this issue a lot more than the first two

Superman and Batman feel a bit more like characters (instead of statements) finally and I'm enjoying their relationship more (reminds me more of his JLA days). Supes "not believing in hell" was nice. The plot is moving and the twist at the end worked well and left me waiting for more. I also think Waid's balanced the Silver Age über-zaniness a bit better here. I still think Nezha himself falls a bit flat and that the exposition is a bit too much in places (I also would have prefered Robin and Supergirl to stay in the present instead of going into a little detour away from the good stuff), but at least I'm interested now in what Waid is doing.

Also, corrupted versions of Hal Jordan could form their own league at this point, given how common they are getting lol

NOTE: Does Diana have her clay origin back or is that just villain talk? They also mention it in her ongoing.
    “Everything happened” so writers can reference it, but this is explicitly the “retro” book that takes place in the past. You’re never going to see Diana in her classic costume again, I don’t think she ever even wore her classic costume in Rucka’s origin, but she is in it here because it fits better with what the book is aiming for. Don’t take this book as a signifier of what is and isn’t canon, it’s just DC letting Waid play with the toys how he wants to.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    “Everything happened” so writers can reference it, but this is explicitly the “retro” book that takes place in the past. You’re never going to see Diana in her classic costume again, I don’t think she ever even wore her classic costume in Rucka’s origin, but she is in it here because it fits better with what the book is aiming for. Don’t take this book as a signifier of what is and isn’t canon, it’s just DC letting Waid play with the toys how he wants to.
    It appeared in a splash of past images in the initial Rebirth issue, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    NOTE: Does Diana have her clay origin back or is that just villain talk? They also mention it in her ongoing.
    Could be. However considering the nature of Wonder Woman and her ties to the greek myths, I would not rule out the Zeus paternity. She could had been born of the clay and still be a daughter of Zeus. Just ask for Erichthonius.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

“Everything happened” so writers can reference it, but this is explicitly the “retro” book that takes place in the past...Don’t take this book as a signifier of what is and isn’t canon, it’s just DC letting Waid play with the toys how he wants to.
    And thank goodness for that!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Don’t take this book as a signifier of what is and isn’t canon, it’s just DC letting Waid play with the toys how he wants to.
    Yeah, about that....

"What I can say is that the first arc of World's Finest is, was, and always has been, designed deliberately to lead into what is going to be Batman vs. Robin," the writer teases. "What I was trying to do with Batman versus Robin was try to take them into a realm that I'm not used to seeing them in, which is dark magic sorcery, rather than science, rather than logic and detective stuff. We've seen Batman and sort of peripheral magic, but I want to get into the down and dirty of it."
    https://www.thepopverse.com/batman-v...ahmud-asrar-dc

Wasn't expecting Waid to write a "modern" story like this.

Oh it’s in continuity, that’s been known from the start, but if you’re trying to say “Waid used the clay origin so that means the clay origin is canon!” you have to ignore that the recent Cloonrad WW run just reaffirmed the Daddy Zeus origin. Waid gets more freedom in B/S because it’s set in the “past”. And of course “everything matters” so maybe both origins are canon.

Guess DC is happy with how his return has been received and are going to start using him as one of their “big” writers. Interesting that Waid has no problem using Damian, I wonder if he doesn’t mind Batman having a son the way he dislikes the idea of Superman having one? He’s wanted to do more solo Batman stuff for a while, he’s said as much on Word Balloon, so now he gets his chance. I’ve enjoyed his take on a “throwback” Batman, but I am curious how he writes the modern Batman given his own part in creating “Batgod”.

Looks like the second arc will lead to another spinoff too, kinda hoping that will be Superman related, but we do still have that Superman BL book with Hitch coming later in the year.

Oh it’s in continuity, that’s been known from the start, but if you’re trying to say “Waid used the clay origin so that means the clay origin is canon!” you have to ignore that the recent Cloonrad WW run just reaffirmed the Daddy Zeus origin. Waid gets more freedom in B/S because it’s set in the “past”. And of course “everything matters” so maybe both origins are canon.

Guess DC is happy with how his return has been received and are going to start using him as one of their “big” writers. Interesting that Waid has no problem using Damian, I wonder if he doesn’t mind Batman having a son the way he dislikes the idea of Superman having one? He’s wanted to do more solo Batman stuff for a while, he’s said as much on Word Balloon, so now he gets his chance. I’ve enjoyed his take on a “throwback” Batman, but I am curious how he writes the modern Batman given his own part in creating “Batgod”.

Looks like the second arc will lead to another spinoff too, kinda hoping that will be Superman related, but we do still have that Superman BL book with Hitch coming later in the year.
    I'm genuinely surprised Williamson's not involved.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised Williamson's not involved.
    Williamson is still co-ordinating things I think, the solicitations for August reveal Damien and Flatline are gonna implode too

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Williamson is still co-ordinating things I think, the solicitations for August reveal Damien and Flatline are gonna implode too
    I feel like Williamson and Waid would work well together .

BANNED

another fan of Superman who uses Superman to get to Batman, I think Superman has plenty of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    another fan of Superman who uses Superman to get to Batman, I think Superman has plenty of fans.
    Why can't he just be fans of both?