Page 9 of 75 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I feel like I'm the worst kind of fan but this kind of stuff just does it for me.
    Same here. I don't need a comic like this to be plumbing some new depths of thematic resonance. Like with Superman '78, sometimes I just want a well-made cheeseburger.

This looks like it'll fit the bill.

I assume Supes will contribute something so it's not just Bats saving the day (I mean, Bruce says Ivy's out of her League which shows how much he respects Superman).

I feel like I'm the worst kind of fan but this kind of stuff just does it for me.
    I was literally just about to post this but I see Bored basically had it covered, with Superman ‘78 wrapping up next issue there’s room for a “meat and potatoes” kind of book and this looks like it will be that as expected. Totally fine, was just hoping Waid getting to write the duo he’s wanted to for ages would be more ambitious.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Art is fantastic but… there’s nothing really there to hook me. Feels like this will be the same as all the other Batman/Superman books: fun but nothing more at best.
    Yeah, I was starting to warm up on this title due to Mora's art, but preview killed it for me. I hope that Mora at some point will again draw a title that I'm actually interested in reading.

I was literally just about to post this but I see Bored basically had it covered, with Superman ‘78 wrapping up next issue there’s room for a “meat and potatoes” kind of book and this looks like it will be that as expected. Totally fine, was just hoping Waid getting to write the duo he’s wanted to for ages would be more ambitious.
    I would at least give it three issues before writing the whole series off.

Definitely agree its another in the vein of the the Vendetti digital first books and Superman '78. It's more or less the type of throw away meat and potatoes story you expect from these team up books. I was expecting a little more actually from Waid. Wait and see what comes of the rest.

Haha, me too. I don't need every piece of Superman media to be a Morrisonesque statement on the character.

I would at least give it three issues before writing the whole series off.
    I’m still planning on reading it, no worries lol. Art will be gorgeous enough for the price alone.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

A classic status quo and Best Robin (without the creepy turtle shorts, boss). Doesn't get much better. And I even get Lois with long hair! I wouldn't even label it in the not-so-distant past. I'd rather just imagine this completely standalone with hopes of no allusions to the crap current continuity. But that's a minor quibble at best.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-12-2022 at 01:14 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Haha, me too. I don't need every piece of Superman media to be a Morrisonesque statement on the character.
    Its not like we got only two options here. Pak, Yang or even Williamson weren't really doing any Morrisonesque statements on Superman or Batman, but their Batman/Superman runs looked better than what Waid is talking about here.

Granted, maybe Waid has some long term plan and it will look great in the end. But at the time it doesn't look like it.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Vindication, I guess.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Now I'm starting to feel like I have a lower standard of comics than everybody else .
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Its not like we got only two options here. Pak, Yang or even Williamson weren't really doing any Morrisonesque statements on Superman or Batman, but their Batman/Superman runs looked better than what Waid is talking about here.

Granted, maybe Waid has some long term plan and it will look great in the end. But at the time it doesn't look like it.
    Can we really say that at this point just from a short preview?

Granted Pak's and Williamson's was more plot-relevant and Yang was more high-concept in terms of approach, but I don't really see what's so bad in a preview that's just setting the initial stage.

Now I'm starting to feel like I have a lower standard of comics than everybody else .

Can we really say that at this point just from a short preview?

Granted Pak's and Williamson's was more plot-relevant and Yang was more high-concept in terms of approach, but I don't really see what's so bad in a preview that's just setting the initial stage.
    Think you just had more reasonable expectations than some of us. For those not digging the current status quo in the mainline however, I expect they’ll love this. It’s back to basics without actually forcing the main books to revert, which is fine with me.

Think you just had more reasonable expectations than some of us. For those not digging the current status quo in the mainline however, I expect they’ll love this. It’s back to basics without actually forcing the main books to revert, which is fine with me.
    I feel like the variant covers of Batman and Superman being pals and having fun were good indications of the tone and style of this, or at least what I was expecting. Especially when we saw the classic, bright and shiny, Dan Mora art of Batman and Superman. I think this is going to go for more of a Brave and the Bold style Waid book.

I guess for me good, fun, comics starring characters I love and melding their worlds together in fun ways is all I really want out of a BM/SM book.

(Also Lois with long hair).

BANNED

the preview is what i expected from a batman/superman/robin comic. batman being the hero and superman being the damsel in distress. I guess it's normal, robin has earned the position of assistant so superman only has the position of damsel left. kryptonite is not only a weakness of superman in the comics, it is also outside of them, with kryptonite anyone can face superman, it is the easy way for the writer, that is why superman is the official dc punching bag. a comic in which batman and superman appear is bad news for superman, but superman fans are still excited.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    the preview is what i expected from a batman/superman/robin comic. batman being the hero and superman being the damsel in distress. I guess it's normal, robin has earned the position of assistant so superman only has the position of damsel left. kryptonite is not only a weakness of superman in the comics, it is also outside of them, with kryptonite anyone can face superman, it is the easy way for the writer, that is why superman is the official dc punching bag. a comic in which batman and superman appear is bad news for superman, but superman fans are still excited.
    I'm hoping Superman does more in the next few pages.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

To be honest tripping over rocks is dumb..I thought that the naruto family was the only ones to do it..But,i've stumbled myself into another franchise with a protagonist that takes it 11..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"